U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 PM

451 posts, read 1,096,963 times

Advertisements

This is Your Nation on White Privilege (Updated) | Red Room

I was going to drop this in the politics forum, but I was hoping to get intelligenct answers outta here weather you agree or disagree. Tim points out stereotypes that are all around us, but tie them to being black or white. Even though america is much larger than black or white, everything seems to center around the 2 groups, even though hispanics are the largest minority in the country now. Now these are just the cases he presented, but I belive it still exsist in my eyes. The problem is that we all (weather you are black or white) see things through a difference set of googles and the only way I have seen people be able to take a different view is through interacial marrage, or some life changing incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,544,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post

I was going to drop this in the politics forum, but I was hoping to get intelligenct answers outta here weather you agree or disagree. Tim points out stereotypes that are all around us, but tie them to being black or white. Even though america is much larger than black or white, everything seems to center around the 2 groups, even though hispanics are the largest minority in the country now. Now these are just the cases he presented, but I belive it still exsist in my eyes. The problem is that we all (weather you are black or white) see things through a difference set of googles and the only way I have seen people be able to take a different view is through interacial marrage, or some life changing incident.
I do not disagree with you. . . it seems that if you "grew up" in the United States" you will view the world through a "color lens", and, at the very least, always be "checking" yourself for prejudice of one sort or another. What I think is important here, is to recognize how one's own experience has colored ones views on these matters, and apply your intelligence, and intelect to the "problem" of being unprejudiced, against anyone, in our highly divided society. This does not, of course, mean that we will not have idividual likes and dislikes, personality driven preferences, etc. If, however, we find ourselves "distrusting" people of color, or white men, or whomever (name your stereotypical group) you can be certain that the "problem" is yours, not theirs!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 PM

9,538 posts, read 19,413,969 times
That's an excellent article. I didn't quite understand your post and feared it was going to be about the KKK or a white supremest movement.

Honestly I had not really thought about this in terms of race, though I feel the same way about the blinders some people seem to wear when it comes to (what I believe) obvious inconsistencies and flat out misrepresentations of what people stand for. And by people I mean the Republican quest for domination through obfuscation.

Are we really this gullible?

For anyone who's just lurking around, please read part of the OP's link. Then report back.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,787,479 times
The key here is to read the link before reporting back. Kudos to the author and the OP for putting it up. And I'm glad it's here instead of in the Politics forum because it would get shouted down by a lot of the posters there, who wouldn't read the link but just label the OP as racist.

golfgod

Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
It has already been posted twice (maybe 3 times, by now) in the Presidential Election forum, with predictable reactions.
To me, the best part about the piece is reading the comments below it, which are very enlightening and provoke even further discussion.
Mostly, reading this stuff makes me realize that what Senator Obama is trying to do is even harder than I already thought it was.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,744,233 times
I haven't visited either of them very often, but when I have, it hasn't seemed to me that there is anything much in either the Election or Immigration forums that would actually qualify as discussion. Special low standards seem to apply there.

As for the OP, it puts some real world dimension on what can seem to be a nebulous concept. That's a good thing...

Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post

Thanks for posting this. I've read Tim Wise before, and he has never disappointed. His most recent piece on White privilege is spot on. For the sake of objectivity, I looked for hyperbole; I imagined a situtaion where I, as a Black man the same age as Sarah Palin, might have fared the same as my White counterpart; but I could find no hype; no parity. Only nods of agreement with every example that Wise put forth.

There was though, one more example that Wise could have cited. If a Black or Latino person had written the same piece, the reception would likely have been more rejection, criticism and mockery, rather than circumspect nods and reflective "hmmm"s.

White privilege has always been an integral part of American society. It is not as prevalent as it was 50 or 100 years ago, but it still exists to those with open eyes and operative minds. And its existence--if you're White--still seems to be a vital necessity.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM

61 posts, read 239,713 times
In my opinion, that article is just ridiculous. I agree that there are different struggles and benefits for people of different races, but that's not what this article is about. Tim's ramblings are nothing more than a transparent partisan attempt to demean the Republican ticket. It's another lefty bashing McCain and Palin. What's new?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
In my opinion, that article is just ridiculous. I agree that there are different struggles and benefits for people of different races, but that's not what this article is about. Tim's ramblings are nothing more than a transparent partisan attempt to demean the Republican ticket. It's another lefty bashing McCain and Palin. What's new?
Quite frankly, the only thing that's new about white privilege is that more and more white men and women are acknowledging it.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM

878 posts, read 1,846,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
Very true.

This is nothing more than a partisan hack job. One could easily compile a similar list about the detrimental effects of affirmative action/white guilt through the example of Barack Obama. But such a list would not be praised, it would be demeaned, ridiculed, and the author's life threatened for daring to question Obama's qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates