U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think America is Slowly Going Downhill?
Yes, America is headed in the wrong direction. 211 68.73%
No, we're fine. It's just a little downtime. 96 31.27%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,360,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
No need for personal attacks. That only proves your insecurity. McCain's a leader, Obama's a cubicle worker. End of story.
FC...just stop talking. McCain is close with Bush and look what Bush has done. Biggest market drop ever. Tons of large banks going under. Huge debt. How is McCain going to be any different? Iraq is one of the reasons we are in this state--we spend too much money over there. And on the news, they said they are helping Iraq with its unemployment problem...WHY NOT HELP YOUR OWN CITIZENS WITH UNEMPLOYMENT?!?!?!?! What a novel idea. The US is too f***ing concerned with world business. Why don't we just help ourselves for once. We are turning third world status with the poor and middle class helping give CEOs of companies that have gone under their $20mil+ pay-out. WTF is that? They have enough money. And why are big corporations going under? The debt and deficit. And why do we have the deficit? Because we spend too much in Iraq and just general non-important things that don't benefit us. And why is that? Because Bush was voted for two terms. And why is that? Because of stupid conservatives like you who are living fine and dandy in rich, pasty-white and clean suburbs who are not affected by any of this. All of the aerospace industry of the US is going bankrupt or moving out of the US so my dad has been unemployed for over a year and we only have one income which is really hard in LA. I'm sure that hasn't happened to your family or you would understand these horrible economic problems America is facing because of what Bush did.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM

574 posts, read 1,719,942 times
"No need for personal attacks. That only proves your insecurity"

Your (il) logic only proves my point...

Obama a cubicle worker? Which cubicle?

Has John McCain ever earned a dime in the private sector???

Last edited by JiminCT; 09-30-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,588,394 times
McCain doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. He already has. He served in Vietnam as a pilot, his plane was brought down, many of his bones were broken, and he was captured and taken prisoner. As prisoner, they found out that he was the son of Admiral McCain, so they were going to let him free until he said that if all the other prisoners don't get to leave, he's not leaving. So they tortured him and broke more of his bones. I don't know about you, but what a guy have to do to get some respect? He's proved his loyalty, determination, respect for the flag, and his leadership.

Obama sat at a desk.

Who do I want to be my leader? A desk jockey or a Vietnam war veteran and former POW who sacrficed himself for his fellow American soldiers?

Tell me, do you have the guts to do what McCain has done for this country? Would you be that loyal and be that great of a leader?

Quit blaming Bush for the economy. Blame yourself for your materialistic ways, that's the real reason why the economy's in a hole. Quit commuting so much, quit spending so much, cut back on things, and we'll be fine. Drop the Escalade and get a card for the Metro LIKE I DO. I take the train to work every day now.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,876,139 times
Quote:
McCain doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. He already has. He served in Vietnam as a pilot, his plane was brought down, many of his bones were broken, and he was captured and taken prisoner. As prisoner, they found out that he was the son of Admiral McCain, so they were going to let him free until he said that if all the other prisoners don't get to leave, he's not leaving. So they tortured him and broke more of his bones. I don't know about you, but what a guy have to do to get some respect? He's proved his loyalty, determination, respect for the flag, and his leadership.

Obama sat at a desk.

Who do I want to be my leader? A desk jockey or a Vietnam war veteran and former POW who sacrficed himself for his fellow American soldiers?

Tell me, do you have the guts to do what McCain has done for this country? Would you be that loyal and be that great of a leader?

Quit blaming Bush for the economy. Blame yourself for your materialistic ways, that's the real reason why the economy's in a hole. Quit commuting so much, quit spending so much, cut back on things, and we'll be fine. Drop the Escalade and get a card for the Metro LIKE I DO. I take the train to work every day now.
Racist.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,588,394 times
Who's racist?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,630,898 times
Quote:

Obama sat at a desk.

Sen. McCain was a heroic, principled soldier. One would have a hard time to find anyone in America who will attack the Senator for his service. I maintain that it doesn't give him experience to run the country. His Congressional service gives him that.
I can walk from this computer right now, go to the homeless shelter downtown, and find scores of Vietnam veterans who were no less valorous. Shall we elect one president? Of course not.
Sen. Obama has also made self-sacrificial decisions. This is a man who could have made millions of dollars in a bigshot law firm, yet he had the courage to forgo a big salary so that he could better help people to make something of themselves has he had done. Apparently this is a desk job in your view. I think the judgment of a man who was raised by a single mother and spent time on the southside of Chicago is directly applicable to vast swaths of America right now, but you wouldn't see those problems in Westchester County would you? Maybe a kid who has joked about how 16 year olds only get a Civic should broaden his worldview and expand on his list of experiences before he feels justified to qualify the judgment and leadership skills of other people.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,630,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"No need for personal attacks. That only proves your insecurity"

Your (il) logic only proves my point...

Obama a cubicle worker? Which cubicle?

Has John McCain ever earned a dime in the private sector???
No, but the woman he had an affair with did. What loyalty!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 PM

288 posts, read 1,227,850 times
Has anyone ever heard of this movie called Zeitgeist? I never had until I ran into this movie by accident on YouTube and it freaked me out. Now I’m like researching this stuff every day. He gives this mind-blowing breakdown on the Federal Reserve that eerily seems relevant to what is going on right now. My first thought was - (how in the hell does he know all of this). It is a very interesting movie. To answere the OP. Yes I think the U.S. is going down hill (by design) for the moment, but will go back up. How long it will take is anyone's guess.

Zeitgeist - The Movie: Federal Reserve

YouTube - Zeitgeist - The Movie: Federal Reserve (Part 1 of 5)

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 PM

574 posts, read 1,719,942 times
"Tell me, do you have the guts to do what McCain has done for this country?"

Do you mean ABSCAM and the Keating 5 scandal? Or dumping his ailiing ex-wife after commiting adultery with the Anheiser Busch distribuor's heir..which I believe the religious GOP would call "destroying the sanctity of marriage"?
Or turning his back on regulation that helped cause this current fiscal mess? When you have 7-9 houses (whose counting anyway)..I suppose you wouldnt want to "rock the boat".

Guts...

Last edited by JiminCT; 09-30-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,895,328 times
Wish I could commute by train, unfortunately we don't have one where I live. Wish I could travel by bus, our bus schedule is so messed up that I would have to arrive at work 2 hours early and would be lucky if I got home 3 hours late. I can't walk to work because it's 20 miles each way. I can't get a job closer to home because I'm in aviation and need to be at an airport which is 20 miles away. I could switch careers but I need health insurance due to a chronic genetic disorder and most small businesses/retail either don't offer it or it's far too expensive. I rent, I have a garden, I don't live ostentatiously and I have a good job. I volunteer time, materials and money to homeless/womens/dog and cat shelters on a weekly basis. I don't drive an SUV and never have, so I can't believe someone has the audacity to tell me or anyone else we're not doing a good enough job. As to the OP's question, yes, I do think America is going downhill. It's due in part to our President, but also in part to all the other crap that's happening right now, and that has happened in the past. American's love pointing fingers and placing blame because it makes them feel better. Maybe if, as a nation, we were a little less complacent when we were doing well, things would be better now. We could have nipped this problem in the bud when credit card rates started going crazy and mortgages were being dolled out like pancakes on a Sunday. But no, everything was fine so we assumed things would continue. When have the ever, in the history of the US, ever STAYED good?? Things go up, things go down. Unfortunately things were so good that the bad seems even worse. McCain shouldn't be president. War mongering should not be a prerequisite for the presidency, I understand the need for war but as another poster stated, why can't we take care of our own citizens? People are losing their homes, their jobs etc. and instead of helping them out, we're in a different country giving them time and energy while our own people suffer. It's unimaginable and just unforgiveable.

Last edited by Rhenzanite; 10-01-2008 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or