U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think America is Slowly Going Downhill?
Yes, America is headed in the wrong direction. 211 68.73%
No, we're fine. It's just a little downtime. 96 31.27%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,860,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century25 View Post
America is trashed out. The 'golden goose' - eviscerated. It started decades ago, and Eisenhower tried to tell JKF.. but we know he was unable to stop the military-industry complex. He was bumped off, his brother RFK next, then MLK. Now we have the 'MIRMC' - acronym for: Military-Industry-Religious-Media-Complex.. and quite a complex it is..!! It makes Orwell's "1984" look like a minor-leaguer & Hitler looks positively amateurish..!! This syndicate running the United States (ha-ha) is the best money can buy.. anywhere

Suggested reading: Morris Berman's "Dark Ages America"(The final phase of Empire) & "The Twilight of American Culture" - and Carl Sagan.. yes, the Astronomer, astrophysicist, Dr Carl Sagan's: "The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark" & "Billions and Billions, Thoughts On Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium" - he knew what was coming.. and I'm sure many others here knew.. but we can do nothing. The MIRMC has spent decades & trillion$ of our own money getting us 'here' - They have & use all of their tools & we are more like plankton than anything I can use for any analogy..

The pen really is mightier than the sword. Our media.. our 'tie that binds' is gone. We get 'all the news you need' or Fox... ie: zip
"Dark Ages America" is a great book for those who want to hear the truth about the direction America is going. It is not for the faint of heart. Conservative politics have been controlling America for a long time.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not slowly, but it has nothing to do with the economy, it's a problem with society itself.
I have to agree. Our government is becoming set in stone and we have embraced our differences over what we share. Infrastructure is getting old and is very vulnerable to both manmade and natural disastor. My generation as a whole, speaking as a baby boomer did not and will not do as well as my parents did, and my son's life will not have nearly the opportunities that I have had.

The economy is doing a meltdown all over the world. We have a global economy and the slide will be far worse than just here. When you can't get credit or afford housing and your job doesn't pay much then looking at the people who have "ridden it out" like you didn't won't help much in holding back the split we have in our society between rich and poor.

The New York Times ran an article in their Style section with serious discussion of the new survivalists... the urban variety who are beginning to see a much darker future and want to be ready. This says volumes and volumes about the state of our society.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Maybe South Calif. is 3rd world, but most of America is doing fine. Almost all of the South and mountain states and plains states are doing pretty well. Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Arkansas, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, New Mexico, South Dakota, Arkansas, Utah, idaho are all red states and the middle class is doing well. The key is lower taxes and creating a business friendly environment so the economy can do well.
Most of the job growth in the Inter-Mountain West and Great Plains has been due to the energy boom. These regions are very prone to energy boom and bust cycles, and also tend to have limited housing.

Many jobs are going unfilled in rural areas of Nebraska because they can't get ANYONE to move out to such a desolate area that is over 50 MILES removed from an Interstate Highway. Certain areas of the Plains will continue to grow economically and in population, but it will always be a struggle to attract people to move and then stay in those "frontier counties" that have fewer than 7 people per square mile. Most people in the Eastern US would not like being that rural and isolated when most rural counties in that part of the country have at least 50 people per square mile/with more services available.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM

98 posts, read 522,282 times
After looking at hundreds of posts on CD with people looking for crime free, safe areas that have decent schools and not real expensive, I'd say there is really something very wrong with the U.S. I have to question why is it so hard for so many people to find a 'safe' place to live. Where they can walk out doors in the evening without feeling threatened. A place where they can afford to pay the utility bills and rent/mortgage without out going into bankruptcy. Where the kids can go to a school that is considered good. Most of them are looking for a small to medium size town.
Unfortunately once people hear of such a place so many people flock there, than it suddenly is no longer safe, no longer cheap, and filled with strip malls and fast foods. The schools become overwhelmed with the influx of new students and can't keep up with either teachers, building size or the things required to run a school. And God forbid if that place has good weather.
Remember Ashville? So many people started moving there that the housing skyrocketed, the people that lived there wanted to move because it was getting over crowded and it started changing.
Would be nice if people just could make where they live a nice, crime free (low crime?) safe area and IMHO not try to change their new area with wanting all the big box stores. Or gee, maybe those big box stores know where the population is going up, so they zoom into it and up come the strip malls, the walmarts, and the fast foods.
Personally I'd take low crime and good weather over good schools. A person could always pick up the slack in teaching things to their kids themselves. I see school buses loaded with kids from good and bad schools and I think, hmm. fodder for the fast food chains and big box stores. Seems there are more kids than good jobs. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
I was hesitant to vote so I didn't. I don't have a good feeling, either. However, I can remember the threat, or fear, of depression a few times in my life-time. The downhill-uphill battles are a way of life here. It seems that the truly smooth periods in our lifetime, and our parents and grandparents lifetimes, were pretty short-lived. Apparently, it takes a of constant conscientious effort for Americans and its leaders to get back on track and stay there awhile before next time.

But. . . . it's a changing world. And I don't like most of those changes, either.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,343,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
No, I don't think the US is slowly going downhill. I think it is quickly going downhill.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Yes because of the people. Too many people that want free stuff and are greedy enough to want someone else to pay for it. Instead of people contributing to the common welfare they are a drag on the country.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes because of the people. Too many people that want free stuff and are greedy enough to want someone else to pay for it. Instead of people contributing to the common welfare they are a drag on the country.
To say nothing of the fact that this used to be a country where we did things. Now we've become an importer rather than exporter. And apathetic into the bargain--when a little more than half of the electorate turns out for a Presidential election (and often less than 50% for local contests), it's not an especially good sign.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:09 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
To say nothing of the fact that this used to be a country where we did things. Now we've become an importer rather than exporter. And apathetic into the bargain--when a little more than half of the electorate turns out for a Presidential election (and often less than 50% for local contests), it's not an especially good sign.
Adding to what you said about the imports and exports. In history class right now, we are learning about how the government imposed a heavy tax on imported goods to protect domestic manufacturers and keep business and manufactures in America prosperous. Maybe it's time we do something like that?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Adding to what you said about the imports and exports. In history class right now, we are learning about how the government imposed a heavy tax on imported goods to protect domestic manufacturers and keep business and manufactures in America prosperous. Maybe it's time we do something like that?
I'm all for this. Let's level the playing field a little so that the American worker and middle class doesn't always take it in the shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or