Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think America is Slowly Going Downhill?
Yes, America is headed in the wrong direction. 211 68.73%
No, we're fine. It's just a little downtime. 96 31.27%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Nothing but layoffs. Terrible economy
I don't know where you live but employment opportunities vary throughout the country. Boston, for instance, is booming. They can barely find enough people to fill the vacancies. Downside is that you'd have to live in a city--I would never want to live in a city--and it's expensive around there. But there are plenty of other places that have jobs, do not require you to live in a city, and aren't that expensive. It's always been that way. People have to re-locate sometimes and that's nothing new. Some of our ancestors re-located from across the ocean for jobs--we can certainly re-locate within our own country or state.

For someone living in an old mill town, and we have them around here, those jobs are gone. They will never come back because those days are gone. Things that used to be made by hand are automated now. But there will always be jobs for people in certain occupations--always jobs for plumbers, electricians, people who take care of the elderly, on and on. You have to re-locate and/or change with the times.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 PM

387 posts, read 490,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Vice President Elect Mike Pence once said...

“Well, the fact is, you can choose to restrain that compulsion. And so I think in fact you don’t have to give in to the compulsion to be homosexual. I think that’s been proven in case after case after case...I believe homosexuality is a compulsion that can be contained, repressed or changed…That is what I’m saying in the clearest of terms.”

The Gist: RNC Chair Candidate: "Homosexuality is a compulsion that can be contained, repressed or changed."

People like that can't be reasoned with and usually have an agenda. Not to mention there is a segment of the population that can not live under that kind of oppression, and that is nothing short of oppressive language. There are plenty in the middle that don't have the appetite for that kind of tone.
I despise Mike Pence, and it's terrible he's about to be our Vice President.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
The Trump administration will surely bring this country in the wrong direction.
I fear for the weather climate of the country. The Trump administration is going to undue a lot of progress for the sake of big oil and coal profits. I don't understand why we can't just invest in renewable energy, rather than remove dirty industry regulations and let them pollute again.

I know a common excuse is "we gotta bring back these jobs!" but jobs evolve. You can teach someone who ran a coal plant how to run a hydro plant. Adapt.

Plus the fact that all the energy and climate heads he's appointed are climate change deniers or have ties to big oil, the head of education has no experience with public school, and then having Steve Bannon period.

Man.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:14 PM

387 posts, read 490,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I fear for the weather climate of the country. The Trump administration is going to undue a lot of progress for the sake of big oil and coal profits. I don't understand why we can't just invest in renewable energy, rather than remove dirty industry regulations and let them pollute again.

I know a common excuse is "we gotta bring back these jobs!" but jobs evolve. You can teach someone who ran a coal plant how to run a hydro plant. Adapt.

Plus the fact that all the energy and climate heads he's appointed are climate change deniers or have ties to big oil, the head of education has no experience with public school, and then having Steve Bannon period.

Man.
Are you saying we should eradicate the oil industry?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
From a Washington Times article about the current administration's energy loan program:

Across the entire loan program there have been five defaulted loans: two solar panel manufacturers, Solyndra Inc. and Abound Manufacturing Solar LLC; two green vehicle programs, Fisker Automotive Inc. and the Vehicle Production Group LLC; and one energy storage project, Beacon Power.

GAO investigators said those technology projects were risky from the start, and each had a shaky credit rating.

more at the link http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ave-taxpayers/

So the people who talk about let jobs evolved are continuing to push things that failed even with government subsidies.

A lot of the people who sneer about 'climate change deniers' cannot even summarize the scientific arguments against the climate change / global warming theory.

the best way to let jobs evolve is less government interference in the private sector.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-17-2016 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Are you saying we should eradicate the oil industry?
No, I'm saying 1. what the Obama administration has done should be left alone, 2. effort should be put into teaching these people that have lost oil jobs a new trade in the energy sector, the same way we've taught teachers how to adopt technology like ipads, Google and Kahoot, smartboards, and soon VR into the classroom, and 3. the climate nay-sayers need to work together with the sayers to work on viable solutions. Put personal beliefs aside.

Trump has filled his cabinet with not only climate change deniers, but with people who have strong ties to the oil industry. All this is going to do is remove the lobbying process. Exxon won't need to lobby, Exxon's already on the cabinet.

These guys are looking out for profits, not the greater good. We obviously need the oil industry, but we also need the guys in charge to be smart about it. Do I think we should shut down all the oil refineries and build hundred acre windfarms? Hell no, I'm not some green, granola nut, but I am tired of it getting hotter year after year.

Things like California's cow fart regulation is ridiculous to me, but it's also ridiculous to let big oil, big pharma, big junk food, big etc run amuck with no consequences, and that's what I feel Trump is going to do - take away consequences. He needs to stick with the Paris Agreement and innovate the American energy sector.

There's an obvious agenda here: deregulate and lower outside dependence. All I want is for the agenda to be dropped and for both sides to sit down and work together on something for the country (world). By what Trump has done so far, obviously that's not his interest.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:00 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
it isn't getting hotter year after year. there is record cold weather just this weekend.

a windfarm couldn't replace an oil refinery. An oil refinery isn't producing electrical power. I assume you are confusing oil refineries with coal fired power plants.

The plan is to roll back nonsensical regulations put into place by environmental alarmists that undermine the American economy. There will be still be regulations.

if you don't like the new agenda, then your party needs to win the next election. the party that wins the election gets to set the agenda.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-18-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times
America is RAPIDLY going down hill, nothing slow about it.....

Old 12-18-2016, 08:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Actually, no. I think the opposite is true.

While we're going through some rough sledding at the moment, our position relative to our geopolitical rivals will actually improve in the years to come. China pretty much hit its high-water mark in 2014. Russia is a lot of bluster. The EU is a house of cards, as seen by the votes in England and Italy. Japan is going through a major demographic crisis, a precursor to a much more severe one that China is only beginning to experience. The Arab world is a complete shambles now that they don't have us over a literal barrel any more.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No, I'm saying 1. what the Obama administration has done should be left alone, 2. effort should be put into teaching these people that have lost oil jobs a new trade in the energy sector, the same way we've taught teachers how to adopt technology like ipads, Google and Kahoot, smartboards, and soon VR into the classroom, and 3. the climate nay-sayers need to work together with the sayers to work on viable solutions. Put personal beliefs aside.

Trump has filled his cabinet with not only climate change deniers, but with people who have strong ties to the oil industry. All this is going to do is remove the lobbying process. Exxon won't need to lobby, Exxon's already on the cabinet.

These guys are looking out for profits, not the greater good. We obviously need the oil industry, but we also need the guys in charge to be smart about it. Do I think we should shut down all the oil refineries and build hundred acre windfarms? Hell no, I'm not some green, granola nut, but I am tired of it getting hotter year after year.

Things like California's cow fart regulation is ridiculous to me, but it's also ridiculous to let big oil, big pharma, big junk food, big etc run amuck with no consequences, and that's what I feel Trump is going to do - take away consequences. He needs to stick with the Paris Agreement and innovate the American energy sector.

There's an obvious agenda here: deregulate and lower outside dependence. All I want is for the agenda to be dropped and for both sides to sit down and work together on something for the country (world). By what Trump has done so far, obviously that's not his interest.
I live on the gulf coast, and I know a lot of oil field workers that have been layed off over the past couple of years. Trust me, there are no "green energy" jobs coming for them. Either the oil jobs come back, or they're forced to find some other job making 1/3 the pay that they used to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates