U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
How do you know that for certain? How does anyone know something like that for certain?
Because I am me. I know myself. Were I gay, I would know it by now. I am not. I am straight.

I know gay people. They were not programmed, coerced or influenced. They did not come to a fork in the road and decide to go with the minority and choose same-sex relations. They were born that way. Why? I do not know. Nor does anyone else, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
If most people can only remember as far back as 5 or 6 years old, maybe the programming happens sometime between birth and 5. Then you wouldn't know you'd been programmed because you can't remember back that far. Just wondering...
And to that I say nonsense.

My parents taught me honesty, courtesy and to respect others. They did not teach me to be straight. They did not have to. Nor did they teach me to hate gays.

The same goes for gays. Their parents did not teach them that. Good grief!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,313,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And to that I say nonsense.

My parents taught me honesty, courtesy and to respect others. They did not teach me to be straight. They did not have to. Nor did they teach me to hate gays.

The same goes for gays. Their parents did not teach them that. Good grief!
You are not reading for comprehension. My point is that there are parts of our life we have no memory of. Agreed? I didn't mention parents. By programming I meant ANY kind of programming, up to and including "natural programming" (the same programming whereby a bird learns it can fly). My post was obviously wondering about what happens to us during the time for which we have no memory. A perfectly legitimate question. Again, just wondering...

Last edited by laysayfair; 10-08-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
You are not reading for comprehension. My point is that there are parts of our life we have no memory of. Agreed? I didn't mention parents. By programming I meant ANY kind of programming, up to and including "natural programming" (the same programming whereby a bird learns it can fly). My post was obviously wondering about what happens to us during the time for which we have no memory. A perfectly legitimate question. Again, just wondering...
Fair enough. But I still say nonsense and will add, so what? Because I do not remember the first 3 years of my life, that means the "natural programming" (what exactly is that?) made me straight? Sorry, but I see no connection between that and whether one is straight or gay.

I was straight the minute I came out of the womb. Probably even before that.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Because I am me. I know myself. Were I gay, I would know it by now. I am not. I am straight.

I know gay people. They were not programmed, coerced or influenced. They did not come to a fork in the road and decide to go with the minority and choose same-sex relations. They were born that way. Why? I do not know. Nor does anyone else, yet.
To me, that doesn't say, beyond any shadow of a doubt that you or me or anyone else was born with any sexual orientation. I don't understand it when people say they're sure they were born with a sexual orientation.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM

517 posts, read 2,240,968 times
If people "learned" to be gay, how exactly would they learn it? It would seem that for this theory to be true that children raised by gay couples would "learn" to be gay, while those raised by straight couples would "learn" to be straight. Evidence shows that's not always the case. My friend is gay and was raised by a straight couple. From a young age she showed signs of homosexuality. Most very young girls say they're going to marry their father, and boys say that they would marry their mother. She talked about marrying a female relative when she grew up. Her parents told her over and over that girls marry boys, and boys marry girls. Clearly, their attempts to teach her to be straight did not, in fact, make her straight. I believe that there is a genetic connection and/or that it occurs in the womb related to hormones; I do not believe that it is a learned behavior.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
If people "learned" to be gay, how exactly would they learn it? It would seem that for this theory to be true that children raised by gay couples would "learn" to be gay, while those raised by straight couples would "learn" to be straight. Evidence shows that's not always the case. My friend is gay and was raised by a straight couple. From a young age she showed signs of homosexuality. Most very young girls say they're going to marry their father, and boys say that they would marry their mother. She talked about marrying a female relative when she grew up. Her parents told her over and over that girls marry boys, and boys marry girls. Clearly, their attempts to teach her to be straight did not, in fact, make her straight. I believe that there is a genetic connection and/or that it occurs in the womb related to hormones; I do not believe that it is a learned behavior.
I think the "learning" could be much more complex than that, though, if it is indeed how it happens. To me, a loose theory that learning is involved would explain why so many more people enter into heterosexual relationships, since society reinforces heterosexuality constantly.

Side note: Do little kids always say they're going to marry a relative? I thought that was some bizarre thing I did. I told my dad which of my brothers I wanted to marry. Sometime later, I said I wanted to marry this girl I met in preschool. Guess all that makes sense, since I'm attracted to both sexes as an adult.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,313,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
To me, that doesn't say, beyond any shadow of a doubt that you or me or anyone else was born with any sexual orientation. I don't understand it when people say they're sure they were born with a sexual orientation.
I'm with you buildings and bridges. I remember reading about "imprinting", where some baby duck just out of his shell would follow the first thing he saw thinking it must be his mother. If at that important moment he sees a duck, well then, all is well. But if he became "imprinted" with some other animal there could be problems!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I personally think is is a chosen lifestyle and i detest the concept ,so what do you people think? are you born or taught to be like this?
Why would you detest something that has nothing to do with you? In my opinion, people are born homosexual just as people are born with blue eyes...

Why does it matter to you? Let people live their lives free of judgment.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Scientists have now pinpointed a cause. Excessive exposure to Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand in utero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or