U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,317,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
Perhaps I can rescue the thread.

Homosexuality might not be a not be genetic and it might not be a learned behavoir either. It might be caused by a germs.

zero.poynt.zero - An Evolutionary Look at Human Homosexuality (http://zero.poynt.zero.googlepages.com/home - broken link)

A New Germ Theory - 99.02
Zen, I read every word of the "germ theory' article and the Cochran article. Absolutely fascinating. I have an elementary interest in parasitology so that article was right up my alley. Thanks for posting that. Just riveting. Rep point coming. Zen, I don't think you rescued the thread, I think you showed how far off the mark we all are.

Last edited by laysayfair; 10-18-2008 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,380,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Zen, I read every word of the "germ theory' article and the Cochran article. Absolutely fascinating. I have an elementary interest in parasitology so that article was right up my alley. Thanks for posting that. Just riveting. Rep point coming. Zen, I don't think you rescued the thread, I think you showed how far off the mark we all are.
If you liked that you might also find this link interesting.

The Chimera Hypothesis: Homosexuality and Plural Pregnancy | Welmer

If you don't know what a chimera is you can read about it here.

Chimera (genetics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM

56 posts, read 169,558 times
Default hee hee hee

I don't see how homosexuality could possibly be a "learned behavior" or social phenomenon.. when I kissed my (now ex)-girlfriend it was like kissing a lamp or a chair.. I felt nothing. Nada. Zilch.
But when I kissed my first man.. ZAP BAM ZING!! OPEN SESAME!! Ha ha. It "felt right".. it felt like the most biologically natural thing in the world.. circuits were connecting.. flesh was reacting.. the juices were flowing.. not to get too graphic. For me, it's any attempt at straight loving that feels awkward and strange.
And I just laugh at the hypocritical "hypoChristian" haters. Jesus never said to hate gays.. and yes, Christianity is not the only religion of the world. Over 60 percent of the world is Asian, and most Asians are Hindus, Muslims, or some other religion, not Christian.

And heterosexual marriage is DEFINITELY not the only foundation for society or the only familial arrangement. Did you know that there is an entire society in Papua New Guinea, which, because of severe overpopulation, actually vilifies the act of hetero sex? Yes, that's right. The entire society is built around male and female homosexuality. Heterosexuality is considered impure, polluting, and an act best left to animals. How do ya like them apples?

And did anyone of these people ever think that Gee.. their all-powerful God, if he is so all-powerful, might have a purposes for gays and lesbians too? The world population is 6.6 billion and growing by the second.. count 'em Tiger! It is my personal belief that Nature or God or Fate, or whatever name you prefer to call it, is allowing the homosexual population to expand because of rampant overpopulation of the Earth due to heterosexual sex. Every gay person added to the population will, for various reasons, be somewhat disinclined to breed and produce their own children. Which is great, and then they will adopt someone else's orphan or unwanted excess children and raise them.. also GREAT!

And for the whole "preserve the traditional family" crap.. wake up and smell the 21st Century. The traditional family has been changing dramatically ever since the women's movement, the inclusion of women in the educational sphere and workforce, and the invention of the birth control. Also, the divorce rate is about even with the rate of marriages.. LOL... so that argument has had the spots worn off of it since about 1955.

Just a few thoughts and ideas. I don't speak in a high voice, I don't wear designer labels or cologne, I don't alter my body hair or get fake tans.. I don't go to gay bars or gay pride events.. I have good morals and practice safe sex. I'm all me, I'm not some stereotype. But I say this without shame.. namely, that I LOVE MY MEN!! I'm here, I'm *****.. GET USED TO IT!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 PM

If homosexuality is hardwired, why is there this entire society in Papua New Guinea that is practising homosexuality? If it was hardwired, you would assume that the activity would be equally common cross culturally, including in New Guinea. Maybe you specifically didn't choose to be gay, but apparently the behavior seems plastic in a fairly large segment of the population? Also what about prisons?

Its fairly common for people to form sexual relations with each other in prison, but revert back to previous sexual orientations once they leave.

To me, that suggests an element of choice here.

Heck the rate of women who have experimented with other women has gone up significantly since the 70's.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 AM

56 posts, read 169,558 times
You're missing my point zenclown. Yes, homosexuality is genetically hardwired to about 10 percent of the population..
My point about the example in Papua New Guinea was to hold up a mirror. Here in the West, and in many countries colonized by the West, we have an idea of heterosexuality as the norm. By holding up a homosexual norm, as in Papua New Guinea.. that proves my point that sexuality is biologically determined and not influenced by culture. In the Papua New Guinea society, there are people who are discomfited by homo sex as the norm, despite it being blatantly advertised as the preferred method from a young age.

Conversely, here in the West, we hold up heterosexuality as the preferred method, and despite having heterosexuality culturally instilled from very young ages, lots of guys and gals still end up as gay!

Prisons is a poor example of your query.. situationally induced homosexuality that is present in prisons is a form of substitution behavior. There are no women; consequently some men are forced to play the submissive role in sex and often given female names. Sex in prisons is almost all about power anyway; the old hands in a prison will rape a new arrival to show him his place. Similarly, a low-ranking prisoner will have sex with a higher-ranking man to gain his power, approval, or protection.. Love, desire, or attraction has nothing to do with prison sex. Undoubtedly there are some gay men in prisons, but they would be as uncomfortable with rape and the power dynamic of prison sex as the next human being..
peace.

Arguably, your other point.. that is culturally related too. The percentage of gay women didn't change; that ten percent was biologically present all the time. But whereas people of past eras felt culturally and socially constrained from their desires, and married and had children to fit the social model, more people are now "coming out" and feeling comfortable about it, as a response to a softening social climate. The hard number of gay folks in a population is the same.. more of it is revealing itself than before, so it just looks like more.. even when the number is constant.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 AM

I am still missing your point. If homosexuality is hardwired at ten percent, how was homosexuality the norm among the natives in Papua New Guinea?

If culture can so easily change it, how can it be said to be hardwired?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,861,287 times
I think that it is sex that is hardwired into us. That is why there are 6.6 billion people on this planet and we still keep reproducing. If society does not halt the sexuality of its population without stigmas attached to certain practices, the people will not feel the need to repress themselves and will express their true selves. But most societies have social mores that make people keep their true self in a "closet', so to speak, rather than break those mores. What sometimes appears to be an increase in the gay population is really more people feeling less scared to be themselves, instead of pretending to be what they are not.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:11 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,010,954 times
This is NOT the Religious forum. Please stay on topic.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 AM

464 posts, read 1,480,322 times
Moderator cut: Stay on topic

Your car counting analogy is a very good one because it shows that people want to do what is 'right' in their own mind and how they 'feel' at the time instead of obeying established Laws ; eventually one or more of those cars are going to get in an accident and the person will be harmed...perhaps even a few people at the same time. Sexual immorality has done the same for America as the deviance spreads. And as it spreads..people get more and more desensitized to right from wrong and in fact, dont care anymore. As to your other post , it isnt 'repression' of peoples sexuality...its that we've lost the sacredness of our sexuality and it has become so out of control that now peoples worth depend on their body parts and how suggestingly they use them . This undermines peoples true worth, dignity, and infinite worth .. and promotes Narcissism, sexual hedonism, and apathy ; the recipe for anarchy which is what America is all about now. Genital satisfaction is all that matters . , which is a sad legacy to leave behind.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-19-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: deleted Religious quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or