U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
artsyguy has possibly become the worst spokesperson for the gay community conceivable.

It is my personal belief that no one is born with any sexual orientation in particular, and that orientations are learned/developed over time. I base that on my own feelings/perceptions, and of course I could be wrong.
That's very interesting. Is this from a perspective of being gay yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That's very interesting. Is this from a perspective of being gay yourself?
Personally, I don't put much stock in labels. I don't think they do us any favors. But I am attracted to both women and men, probably women more so. But my opinion isn't based solely on my own feelings.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't put much stock in labels. I don't think they do us any favors. But I am attracted to both women and men, probably women more so. But my opinion isn't based solely on my own feelings.
I'd love to read more about your opinion. Can't you point me towards material that has a similar point of view to your own? It's not one I hear very much about.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
I'd love to read more about your opinion. Can't you point me towards material that has a similar point of view to your own? It's not one I hear very much about.
Hmm...I don't know. I'm sure that people like Eve Sedgwick and Judith Butler and possibly Michel Foucault would agree with me to some extent if not completely, but I tend to think they're full of it much of the time and usually can't stomach reading their articles. But I've taken a couple of classes in which this was discussed (I'm not permitted to use the word in this forum so I thought I'd post the link to the Wikipedia article instead) and a lot of what we touched on seemed in tune with what I already believed, though not all of it. I should point out, though, that there's so much more to that school of thought than whether or not sexual orientation is as simple people tend to think it is. That whole debate is only one component of it, and I couldn't begin to address the rest; it gives me a migraine. This is why I'm not an English or sociology professor or anything of the sort. I don't know if I've ever met anyone who feels exactly the same way I do...maybe my mom, but then again she's been listening to me talk about it for years so I might have just converted her. That, or she just doesn't feel like debating it. lol

EDIT: Wow. City-data won't even allow me to link to the article. This is a field of study at universities. Let me just put it this way--in GLBTQ, I'm the Q, and Q does not mean "Questioning" if you put "Q [with the other letters included] theory" into Wikipedia or Google, you'll come upon some similar viewpoints, I think.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Hmm...I don't know. I'm sure that people like Eve Sedgwick and Judith Butler and possibly Michel Foucault would agree with me to some extent if not completely, but I tend to think they're full of it much of the time and usually can't stomach reading their articles. But I've taken a couple of classes in which this was discussed (I'm not permitted to use the word in this forum so I thought I'd post the link to the Wikipedia article instead) and a lot of what we touched on seemed in tune with what I already believed, though not all of it. I should point out, though, that there's so much more to that school of thought than whether or not sexual orientation is as simple people tend to think it is. That whole debate is only one component of it, and I couldn't begin to address the rest; it gives me a migraine. This is why I'm not an English or sociology professor or anything of the sort. I don't know if I've ever met anyone who feels exactly the same way I do...maybe my mom, but then again she's been listening to me talk about it for years so I might have just converted her. That, or she just doesn't feel like debating it. lol
Building and bridges, the link isn't working. Are there any other websites I should check out. You can PM me. I'm very interested.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,016,284 times
Born that way, just a little mix up between brain & body. Not an issue for open minded folks.

How exactly is it hurting and/or affecting your life? Get a hobby.

The gay lisp, however, is chosen. Maybe to belong to others of their own kind. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times
Did I say you are wrong? No. Who knows why they are gay and stayed gay.

As an adult you have the choice to say "Hm I was manipulated/abused as a child by an idiot and as an adult I am not going to be gay or buy into any of the manipulation". They have the choice to say that to themselves, and live a straight life. Adults have that choice or option or control.

If you are born gay like many gay people claim then you canot choose to be straight.

Quote:
Thy were all 3 molested as kids and none are molesters. Their molesters told them they were gay (part of their manipulation). Now they are all gay- coincidence? No possibilty their first sexual experiences, (which weren't their choice, they were just children) and the insistence of a trusted elder that they were indeed gay could have had an affect?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM

Isn't the gay lisp speech pathology and not much to do with homosexuality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Born that way, just a little mix up between brain & body. Not an issue for open minded folks.

How exactly is it hurting and/or affecting your life? Get a hobby.

The gay lisp, however, is chosen. Maybe to belong to others of their own kind. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Did I say you are wrong? No. Who knows why they are gay and stayed gay.

As an adult you have the choice to say "Hm I was manipulated/abused as a child by an idiot and as an adult I am not going to be gay or buy into any of the manipulation". They have the choice to say that to themselves, and live a straight life. Adults have that choice or option or control.

If you are born gay like many gay people claim then you canot choose to be straight.
Thanks Artsyguy. I'm gonna' go with buildingsandbridges on this. I think he has some interesting ideas. I can't wait to check them out.

Last edited by laysayfair; 09-24-2008 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 PM

I'm not debating with you or builiding bridges. I'm simply providing information from another view point (my view point) to anybody who wishes to read it. It isn't for you only.

Quote:
Thanks Artsyguy. I'm gonna' go with buildingsandbridges on this. I think he has some interesting ideas. I can't wait to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or