U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be able to afford to Educate your child under a fully privatized system?
Yes 40 59.70%
No 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Just like having and raising a child is your choice.

You've already indicated that it costs $16,640 to educate each child per year in your county. If you're not directly paying at least $16,640 in taxes per year which are directly going to the education system, and not to pay for roads, bridges, military, welfare, or any other government policy, then you are directly asking the government to pay for your child's education. This again contradicts your statement that, "I don't expect the governmnet to pay for anything I have or want. I pay for it myself, thank you."

Face it, your child's education, the roads you drive, the police and firemen that protect you, and all other gov't services are subsidized by those same corporate pigs that you despise so much.
You will use many things in your lifetime that you did not direclty pay for as well, but have been paid for through the contribution of society through taxes, etc. When you live in a society, that's how it works. You need to look out for each other for the greater good of the society .. and even the good of yourself. If you do not believe that you benefit from other people having children or that those children are educated.. that is your choice. But, if everyone decided NOT to have children the race would die out. If you think that having an uneducated population is more beneficial to you than having an educated one.. that is your right. If the money you would get to keep in your pocket as a result of a fully privatized system is more beneficial to you than a society of educated people, then that is your right.

If you don't like living in a society with the rules of society in which you live, you have some choices. You can use your vote to elect politicians who agree with your point of views, or you can remove yourself from society. Don't like that you pay property taxes that go toward public education, then you don't have to buy property that would require you to pay those taxes. Easy... it's not like property taxes and taxes toward education is a new thing we are trying to get passed. You knew what was involved when you bought it.. you knew you'd have property taxes to which a portion would go to fund your local schools.

My choices are there too.I can elect politicians who are in line with my point of view. Public education has been in place for many years, and I have no doubt that public education will remain.. because the bottom line is that many more people out there agree that educating the population of citizens who will be the future of this country is more important to the overall health of this country then some people who object to the fact that they pay taxes for things they do not directy benefit from. Some people see value in it, while others, like yourself don't.

I'm about done with this thread..it's run it's course. I've stated my position and backed up my position with facts. If, over time, society does decide that privitization is the way to go, well then I'll have my choices too.. and that is to accept it, fight against it or remove myself from the society to which I do not agree and move elsewhere.

Good luck to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

372 posts, read 760,665 times
TM you're failing to follow the logic...

I'm not arguing against public education, and I'm not arguing that my tax dollars should or should not be used to educate other people's children.

The original arguement is that if all public schools were to be publicized, most would be able to afford and education for their child. One way or another, if education is made a priority, people will find a way to pay for it... even if that means that the government will continue to subsidize private education with tax payer money (both corporate and private individuals).

Secondly, you stated, "I don't expect the governmnet to pay for anything I have or want. I pay for it myself, thank you." I merely pointed out that this is simply not true.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,160 times
Quote:
If schools were privatized would you be able to afford an education for your child?
No. And this is the cruel hoax perpetrated by politicians who advance the voucher argument. They get parents all enthused about the possibility of sending their kids to private school ...

only for those parents to realize that a voucher only covers a small percentage of tuition. Let alone costs.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
There are alternatives to private school. Called "homeschooling".

Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
yes. not only better. but safer and safer for teachers.
children and teachers should not have to live in fear.
i have a dream.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,005,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are alternatives to private school. Called "homeschooling".
What are the other alternatives, as you make it sound like there would be more than one if there was no public schooling.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Apprenticeships and internships are alternatives. It wouldn't hurt for more citizens to learn an actual trade.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,005,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Apprenticeships and internships are alternatives. It wouldn't hurt for more citizens to learn an actual trade.
Are those alternatives appropriate for ages 5-8? What are some realistic options for education if there were no public schooling, private school turns out to be too expensive and homeschooling isn't a viable option for families who require two incomes?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't see where you asked specifically about the 5-8 year old student population.

Are we to imagine in this hypothetical scenario that the government has completely washed it's hands of the role of educator. There are no subsidies handed out and no taxes collected?

Possible alternatives that could happen.
With decreased taxes, private companies could hire teachers to teach their employees' children as a benefit to retain good employees... like how some now offer daycare.
Newly unemployed teachers could open up smaller class rooms that key on education, and not necessarily physical education, music and arts... As much could be tought in a shorter school day for less money per student.
Private philanthropists could start their own schools.

I'm sure there are many other possible scenarios that could play out.

How do we possibly feed and clothe all of our nation's children? Those that can, feed and clothe their children. Some eat and dress better than others, but very few die from starvation or the elements. Those that cannot afford to feed and clothe their children rely on government help and the helping hand of others until they're able to support their family on their own.

Last edited by DasNootz; 10-02-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Are those alternatives appropriate for ages 5-8? What are some realistic options for education if there were no public schooling, private school turns out to be too expensive and homeschooling isn't a viable option for families who require two incomes?
Well, kids did start learning trades as early as age 8.

How necessary is geography to someone who's going to work in masonry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates