U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you be able to afford to Educate your child under a fully privatized system?
Yes 40 59.70%
No 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
A person with minimal intelligence would know that the discussion was / would be about "legal" professions.
To a serial killer the thrill of doing something forbidden and getting away with it is part of the thrill.
If you only wanna kill people (in a legal manner) you are only a sadist and not a serial killer.

Quote:
Therefore, you must be below even minimal intelligence.
Calling other people stupid to cover up your own incompetence is proof of not having any intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
What is more important: The individual (read: the child) or the group (read: society)?
Should the individual choose what is best for him or what is best for society?
As long as parents are unable to answer this question they're unable to properly educate their children.

Then there is the problem that what is best for society might not be best for the individual, or what is best for the individual might not be best for society.
'
What does that argument have to do with deciding what career you will do to make yourself a living productive member of society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday To a serial killer the thrill of doing something forbidden and getting away with it is part of the thrill.
If you only wanna kill people (in a legal manner) you are only a sadist and not a serial killer.

Calling other people stupid to cover up your own incompetence is proof of not having any intelligence.

Last I looked seriel killer wasn't a career choice.. so it's pretty irrelevent to..well anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by TristansMommy
Quote:
What does that argument have to do with deciding what career you will do to make yourself a living productive member of society?
That parents who are unable to decide what is best for themselves and for society should not make any decisions regarding their children.
That people who are unable to decide what is best for themselves should not make any decisions concerning others.
Making children is the easiest thing in the world, while raising children is another matter since children (of any age, even those who are considered adult) are able to have children.

Quote:
Last I looked seriel killer wasn't a career choice.. so it's pretty irrelevent to..well anything.
Everything you excell at could be turned into a career.
My point is that serial killers generally are autodidact.
So to become knowledgeable in a certain area you do not need a (formal) education; experience is the only real teacher and not knowledge.

Last edited by Tricky D; 10-02-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If you only wanna kill people (in a legal manner) you are only a sadist and not a serial killer.
Well - that's what military snipers and certain CIA operatives are for -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Well - that's what military snipers and certain CIA operatives are for -
Besidez establishing that a soldier has to follow orders without questioning I don't see the relevancy of your post.

Or is your point that everyone who blindly obeys orders is insane?
If so I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Besidez establishing that a soldier has to follow orders without questioning I don't see the relevancy of your post.

Or is your point that everyone who blindly obeys orders is insane?
If so I agree with you.
Obviously - you are oblivious to the FACT that individuals SEEK OUT these positions -

And no - they are not insane.

As for you - well you might be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
 
372 posts, read 760,764 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
You point out "possible scenarios" - but I'm sure others would want to see "probable scenarios". A change of this scale would be a huge risk and details would be important - no, critical for many children. Those who want to see things changed should provide complete solutions and point out the risks, the benefits, and the potential upside and downside.
You did not ask for probable scenarios... you asked for alternatives. I don't think anyone on this thread has posted that they believe a radical change from an predominant public system to a completely private system would be the best alternative.

But since you did now ask...
The probable scenario in this hypothetical world is that private corporations would take over the role of educating students at a price point that would make them the most money, as there would be a sudden and obvious demand to fill the education void. At some point, and most likely at the beginning, the gov't would set regulations that fixed prices if a school wanted to recieve public funding. You'd see everything from high quality niche schools to a a Walmart-esque educations for the masses at a low price point. In general you'd see the "have's" continue to get superior education, and the "have not's" would recieve an inferior one. Personally I think the level of service that a Walmart-esque school could provide may be superior to that of the worst of our public schools now, because they'd have the ability to throw the bad eggs out.

Charitable organizations and government funds would be used to subsidize the costs of education for the less fortunate.

Then comes the question... what do you think is better, an all private or an an public system? If given only the two choices, I'd vote for an all public system because it gives the most amount of people the "American Dream". Most likely, the best scenario is a mixture of the two.

Back to the original point of this thread....
If public schools were to close their doors and only private schools could be formed, would the american public be able to afford to educate their students?

My answer is yes. I believe alternative solutions would present themselves that would allow all citizens a chance for an education regardless of their income levels.

Last edited by DasNootz; 10-02-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Obviously - you are oblivious to the FACT that individuals SEEK OUT these positions -
I am astutely aware that there are people who want to be told what to do instead of doing the actual thinking themselves.

Quote:
And no - they are not insane.
Everyone who willingly gives up his own autonomy is 'insane' in my book.
I guess this is why a military career is not for me.
I will only serve in the Dutch army when we are actually attacked.

Quote:
As for you - well you might be
Being crazy is much more interesting than being plain old dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Status: "Done with the 100s (hopefully)?" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
5,411 posts, read 8,295,751 times
Reputation: 5760
It's interesting to note that a highly influential Presidential candidate this year (Ron Paul) advocated the abolition of public schools when he initially ran in 1988:

Now for a Real Underdog: Ron Paul, Libertarian, for President - New York Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940de3da1538f934a25753c1a96e9482 60 - broken link)

Quote:
If elected, he says, he would abolish public schools, welfare, Social Security and farm subsidies.
In addition, the 2004 Presidential candidate on the Libertarian ticket (Michael Badnarik) also called for privatizing education.

Third party canidate offers a choice for change - Entertainment (http://media.www.navigatornews.org/media/storage/paper567/news/2004/10/01/Entertainment/Third.Party.Canidate.Offers.A.Choice.For.Change-755411.shtml - broken link)

Quote:
When asked about education, Mr. Badnarik said, he would abolish the Department of Education if he were elected. He added, "There was a time when our children scored higher than anyone else in the world, but now we are 29th."
He said he would privatize schools and that education would be cheaper because he would eliminate the Internal Revenue Service, which would allow parents to keep all of what they earned. In return, college tuition would drop significantly and for those who can't afford it, the funding would come directly from the colleges, not the government.
I met Michael Badnarik in person at a fund raising breakfast in 2004. He confirmed his position at that time on turning public schools to the private sector. When I asked him about his position on the $1,000 per child tax credit, he stated that his idea of eliminating the IRS would eliminate the need for any of these special tax credits because parents (and everybody else for that matter) would have extra money in their pockets which would currently be paid in income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top