Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be able to afford to Educate your child under a fully privatized system?
Yes 40 59.70%
No 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,998,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
There is a thread on this forum about Why Schools Should be privitized. One particular poster, who has no children, takes objection to the fact that he is paying taxes that then go towared educating Children in his community.
Maybe he should try living in a community where education is unattainable for most there and see how it changes his standard of living--not to mention, his safety. Give me an educated society any day. It's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 AM

558 posts, read 818,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Maybe he should try living in a community where education is unattainable for most there and see how it changes his standard of living--not to mention, his safety. Give me an educated society any day. It's worth it.
If you'd read his posts you'd know that he understands and believes that education is important. The argument isn't whether or not it's important (most of us assume correctly that it is), but whether or not the system would be more efficient if it was fully privatized. One of the things some people look at when they donate money is the efficiency rating of the charity. Given the choice, doesn't it make more sense to donate to the ones with the higher ratings? I think so. Well, why not extend that logic to government versus private industry? If you really believe that the government spends your money wisely and efficiently, well, so be it, but some of us believe that our money would be better spent through private charity. People argued earlier in this thread that the cost of education would actually go down if the public system was dissolved. They provided more than just the reason above. But, hey, as long as most people are content to dismiss other's opposing views with empty witticisms, nothing will ever change for the better anyway; so maybe it doesn't matter.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
If you'd read his posts you'd know that he understands and believes that education is important. The argument isn't whether or not it's important (most of us assume correctly that it is), but whether or not the system would be more efficient if it was fully privatized. One of the things some people look at when they donate money is the efficiency rating of the charity. Given the choice, doesn't it make more sense to donate to the ones with the higher ratings? I think so. Well, why not extend that logic to government versus private industry? If you really believe that the government spends your money wisely and efficiently, well, so be it, but some of us believe that our money would be better spent through private charity. People argued earlier in this thread that the cost of education would actually go down if the public system was dissolved. They provided more than just the reason above. But, hey, as long as most people are content to dismiss other's opposing views with empty witticisms, nothing will ever change for the better anyway; so maybe it doesn't matter.
And people, like myself, have counter argued that privitization didn't do anything in the way of lowering the cost of healthcare..leaving it out of reach for many American's. Some will argue that healthcare issue has to do with not being competitive across state lines. Okay.. that's fine, but how do you propose that schools become "competitive" across "state lines".. or even REGIONAL lines. When you consider that choices of schools are going to be limited to what's availalbe in your area, I see a recipe for high prices.... supply and demand.. there will not be enough supply and a high demand which will drive prices up and put education out of reach of many.

I have NO problem with privitization IF and ONLY IF you can guarantee 100% that EVERY CHILD will have an education. THAT is something that PRIVITIZATION can not provide nor is it obligated to, whereas public education has an obligation to uphold that promise and does. Yes, some children go uneducated, undereducated etc, but that is NOT for a lack of availability of education or affordability.

We need to address a real solution to reforming our education through methods used to teach our population. Sorry, but after the latest run in our economy I do not trust "private industry" to handle something as important to the health of our country to private institutions whose only objective will be to make money, not making sure that we have a well educated population.

BTW.. privitization has done nothing for the affordability of colleges , as the cost has continually risen and today most families go deep into debt to fund a college education. College education is mandatory, elementary and secondary education is mandated by law. If you make schools out of reach for many people, you have then made it impossible for them to comply with the law.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,058,777 times
Quote:
Sorry, but after the latest run in our economy I do not trust "private industry" to handle something as important to the health of our country to private institutions whose only objective will be to make money, not making sure that we have a well educated population.

BTW.. privitization has done nothing for the affordability of colleges , as the cost has continually risen and today most families go deep into debt to fund a college education. College education is mandatory, elementary and secondary education is mandated by law. If you make schools out of reach for many people, you have then made it impossible for them to comply with the law.
There is no reason that a family should go deep into debt to pay for a child's college education. That is absurd. If most families go deep into debt then most families are stupid. There are many options.

First, college isn't mandatory. Once again you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

Second, you can pay for college by working (imagine that!?!?) or student loans as a last resort (taken out by the student, never the parents!!). LOTS of people do it that way. Some people even manage to save a little in advance, or work hard enough to get scholarships or start out at community colleges where tuition for basic courses is much more affordable. There are options.

Third, I tried to resist your absurd conclusions about the cause of our current economic state but alas, in a moment of weakness...
The banks and lenders were doing a great job of assessing risk in the mortgage industry before being pushed by government to lower the standards. Do you get that? It was government, trying to give people what they could not afford that caused the problem. We can't afford 'affordable housing' the way government wants to do it, we can't afford national health care or a more nationalized education system when already they are doing a POOR job of managing it. Why, despite all the evidence to the contrary, do you still insist that government is the answer?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
There is no reason that a family should go deep into debt to pay for a child's college education. That is absurd. If most families go deep into debt then most families are stupid. There are many options.

LOL.. that's funny.. have you looked at how much education cost these days? Sorry.. most parents "savings for college" run out by the second year. Also, it takes much longer than 4 years to complete most degrees these days. I have two brothers that went to college full time, worked while in college , had some help from my parents including a second mortgage and they have student loans to pay off college.. so your assertion that no debt is needed to get through college is laughable!

First, college isn't mandatory. Once again you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

LOL.. woops.. you're right..l I mistyped.. I meant to say that college isn't mandatory.. I did mean to say that and that does make me look like an idiot. Of course I know that college ISN'T mandatory..

Second, you can pay for college by working (imagine that!?!?) or student loans as a last resort (taken out by the student, never the parents!!). LOTS of people do it that way. Some people even manage to save a little in advance, or work hard enough to get scholarships or start out at community colleges where tuition for basic courses is much more affordable. There are options.

Read my first paragraph. You are sorely out of touch.... and my persepctive is coming from RECENT experience. My parents saved well for college and had enough equity in hte home to pay for colleg too.. and my brothers took out student loans. .. both worked too..

Third, I tried to resist your absurd conclusions about the cause of our current economic state but alas, in a moment of weakness...
The banks and lenders were doing a great job of assessing risk in the mortgage industry before being pushed by government to lower the standards. Do you get that? It was government, trying to give people what they could not afford that caused the problem. We can't afford 'affordable housing' the way government wants to do it, we can't afford national health care or a more nationalized education system when already they are doing a POOR job of managing it. Why, despite all the evidence to the contrary, do you still insist that government is the answer?
Oh come on! What the government was doing was putting an end to redlining. Mortgage companies were turning down otherwise QUALIFIED candidates for mortgages based on where they were buying (in minority neighborhoods) and their race. Governements intention was to encourage mortgage lenders to lend to them. They did NOT give them the go ahead to then make numbers up on an application form, lie and mislead the public who didnt' understand what was going on (I'm talking about those that are minorities that hardly speak english)!! And, btw, this problem goes well beyond minority neighborhoods. The government didn't give them cart blanche to then package up subprime paper with a triple AAA rating and sell it on Wall Street!

But.. yes, Gov't does have a finger pointed at them.. NOT for trying to stop redlining and encourage lending to minorities.. but in DEREGULATING Wall Street, banks and the mortgage industry. Without big brother watching they ran amok and made lots of money doing it!! Completely free and unregulated enterprise opened the door for fraud, manipulation you name it!!

But alas.. that is for another thread.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post

Education is unattainable for most today--except for SELF-study. Just like medical care, it's too expensive for most people to afford.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Education is unattainable for most today--except for SELF-study.
The above is so NOT TRUE.

Where do you come up with these outrageous ideas?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Education is unattainable for most today--except for SELF-study. Just like medical care, it's too expensive for most people to afford.

That May be true of a higher education , but elementary and secondary education is public and therefore guaranteed for all.

Listen, there are programs out there for the less fortunate to gain a college education via scholarships etc. The problem we're going to be seeing in the current economy, is that soon parents will have trouble and students will have trouble getting the loans required to cover the tuition with the credit crunch that we may find that college education is going to be out of reach for a lot of people without that credit.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
That May be true of a higher education , but elementary and secondary education is public and therefore
I disagree about Higher Education. Anyone who really wants to go on to college can - oh, to be sure, they may have to work - they may have to take longer than some - but, if their REALLY want it - they can do it

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I disagree about Higher Education. Anyone who really wants to go on to college can - oh, to be sure, they may have to work - they may have to take longer than some - but, if their REALLY want it - they can do it
Yeah.. if they pay per credit they can take whatever they can afford and it may take them 8 or 9 or more years to complete.. LOL.. that's a looooonnnngg time to get your career going!! Atleast to me it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates