U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,103,670 times

Advertisements

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you are a pregnant teen, and just trying to garner support. Sorry, chances are that in those tribes you speak of, the babies of these youngsters do not receive any immunizations, and die early of relatively simple diseases such as malaria, or even starvation. In this country, it's just not necessary to procreate as soon as you are able, though many do.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:31 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
As has been said, people used to marry young and have babies young because life was short. Also, there has certainly been a loosening of familial control over girls' "value" as virgins for marriage. I think people have often married young in order to have condoned sex.
Finally, there wasn't really good birth control until the pill became available (in some developed countries) in the early 1960s. Before that, women and girls had few options as to when they would be pregnant/bear children, whether married or not.
No child should be born to provide company or "fill a void" in its immature parent.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM

372 posts, read 760,665 times
Pro's:
You provide an example to others of the potential effects of being sexually active.
You'll be young enough to have the physical energy to play with your kids as the age.
The levels of some defects are lessened compared to those over 30(I'm assuming we're talking 16-18 and not 13-14).
A potential for adoption to a loving home, where a couple has not been able to concieve.

Cons:
The potential for bringing a baby into this world when you're not equipped emotionally, financially, etc. to provide.
The loss of your "youth" as you'll have to grow up quickly.
Gossip, stereotypes, and all the drama that goes along with teenage pregnancy.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:26 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,601,371 times
There are no pros to a teen mom. By the teen deciding to have the baby because she is going to be "responsible" for her actions. She is ruining the grandparents(her parents life) since they will be the ones responsible for feeding her(daughtrer) and the grandchild. Plus all the other expenses this time times two.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

5,077 posts, read 12,703,549 times
Pro's of teenage pregnancy? Are you kidding me? Umm.. no sorry, there is not one single pro to a teenaged girl having a baby. Not only is she shutting down her own life for the next 18 years, she is missing out on education, normal teen events, happenings, friends, growing up the way you are supposed to; all in good time. It's creating a poor environment for the child who will likely grow up in poverty because the teen doesn't have an education and therefore won't be able to have as many choices in her career.
Nevermind all of that and on top of it, the parents of that teen are now set to "help out" and usually end up raising the baby and their lives get put on hold therefore causing a lot of family stress. We as the taxpayers ultimately end up paying for this teenager and her baby too. Tell me again what pros there are?

Hey, if she's trying to fill a void, that needs to start at home, with her own parents and her friends and lifestyle, anyone who is trying to "fill a void" needs to seek out counseling. No teenagers should have it so rough that they need to do this.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

372 posts, read 760,665 times
There certainly are pros. They're just outweighed by the cons.

Why would the birth of any baby be considered a con? I'm not even a pro-life advocat, but I don't see the birth of all children to teenage mothers as a burden on society.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
In almost all cases con today because it really limits the teen in most cases. It alkso is negative as so many grandparents now endup raising a second generation of children. That often has negative effects on the child.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,186,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In almost all cases con today because it really limits the teen in most cases. It alkso is negative as so many grandparents now endup raising a second generation of children. That often has negative effects on the child.
Can you offer any substantiation of negative effects from being raised by one's grandparents? I'd love to see it, to share with some other folks. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:10 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,639,729 times
[quote=BORGUSX;5428886]What are the pros and cons regarding teen pregnancy? If you guys can list out the pros and cons so basically try to contradict yourself! What is your final verdict?

Pro

-The baby can fill the void of the teenage mother
Are you kidding me? I was well taught by my mother that first you must establish yourself before bringing another life into this world.
-The baby can be someone to keep the mother company
There are pets that can fufill these needs A Gerbil perhaps, you know in between homework, Sadie Hawkins, prom

Statements that would support this viewpoint

-Well, people were teenagers when they have kids back in the old days
These were back in the days when children were not allowed a childhood and expected to be little adults. These were back in the days when children were concieved because the mortality rate has changed. Back in the days if you were not married or pregnant out of HS you were a spinster.
-If you guys think a teenager is just a baby, then how does a baby have a baby? If you do believe in evolution and/or God, then why does not puberty starts at 18
Are you joking? The environment has alot to do with early puberty, toxins and the hormones from animals we feed our children. I was born in the mid 70's and I did not start my "Period" untill I was 13 now we have girls starting as early as 9? And just because the mensus has begun does not constitue the right to be a parent...not even back in frontier days you perv!
-People say a teenager is a baby, well that is socially constructed, but it does not match up with human biology
Okay considering we are humans and do not go into heat, yes I think that there is an age, plaease!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:15 PM

873 posts, read 1,415,478 times
I was a teenage mother.

Pro
- You finally understand the meaning of "True Love"
- You have an extra person to help raise YOU.
- You aren't so old that you don't have their energy.
- You are close enough in age to understand them as they get older.

Con
- You haven't a clue what to do with this child.
- You aren't financially able to care for this child.
- You aren't emotionally mature enough to care for this child.
- The child suffers as a result of your inability to care for him/her properly.

Hence, the Con's outweigh the pros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.