U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Can you offer any substantiation of negative effects from being raised by one's grandparents? I'd love to see it, to share with some other folks. Thanks!

Well from the grandparents viewpoint.... they can't enjoy plans they had for retirement the way they deserve too .

Old 10-11-2008, 03:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,186,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher
Can you offer any substantiation of negative effects from being raised by one's grandparents? I'd love to see it, to share with some other folks. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Well from the grandparents viewpoint.... they can't enjoy plans they had for retirement the way they deserve too.
Thank you, Kelly.

My question for texdav was explicitly concerning the negative impact on children from being raised by their grandparents.

Further, by "substantiation," I meant reports/studies and the like, rather than unsupported opinions which, while of interest, provide no data to this conversation.

And finally, I know enough grandparents who are raising their children's children to know that many of those doing the raising are nowhere near retirement age! Some are near it. And some are already there:

Quote:
in 2000 there were over 4.5 million children (under 18 years of age) living in homes maintained by their grandparents. The number of children in grandparent-headed households has increased by 30% since 1990. While the majority of grandparents raising grandchildren are between ages 55 and 64, 20% to 25% are over age 65.

(Information courtesy of the U.S. General Services Administration)

Last edited by jps-teacher; 10-11-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: html fix

Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I once developed a social philosophy in which people would never have a spouse similar to their own age until they were retirement age, but instead would have serial marriages (which most people have nowadays anyway).

Here's how it would work:

A female at late teens would join with a man age 40, and they would stay together for 20 years and raise children. Men that age are in an income tier at which they can afford to raise children, they love younger women, and younger women would benefit from the security.

Then they switch, and the 40-year-old women, no longer responsible for child rearing and at their sexual peak and thirsty for adventure and freedom, would match up with hormonally-driven men in their late teens, for a couple of rip-roaring decades.

So, basicly, young men go wild with women intheir 40s, and then when they rech 40, they find a teeny-bopper to have their kids. Young girls would have their family with an oldeer man, and at 40, they would find a hot horny young stud to shack up with.

Males and females, when they reach 60, then go into their senior years together and take care of each other in their declining years.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
exactlty because if they decide for Abortio thay are taking an innocent human life who has no fault in this don't you think

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
What are the pros and cons regarding teen pregnancy? If you guys can list out the pros and cons so basically try to contradict yourself! What is your final verdict?

Pro

-The baby can fill the void of the teenage mother
-The baby can be someone to keep the mother company
pardon me I need to vomit.

Religious/moral beliefs (in a case where the only other options is abortion) notwithstanding, there is NO "pro" to a teenager having a child. Also water is wet. You want company, buy a cat. good grief

Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,113 times
A baby won't keep you very good company, they're not great conversationalists.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,639,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
What are the pros and cons regarding teen pregnancy? If you guys can list out the pros and cons so basically try to contradict yourself! What is your final verdict?

Pro

-The baby can fill the void of the teenage mother
-The baby can be someone to keep the mother company

Statements that would support this viewpoint

-Well, people were teenagers when they have kids back in the old days
-If you guys think a teenager is just a baby, then how does a baby have a baby? If you do believe in evolution and/or God, then why does not puberty starts at 18
-People say a teenager is a baby, well that is socially constructed, but it does not match up with human biology

Con

-Being responsible for the baby's well-being
-Financially responsible
-Not having time to enjoy other things
no. i think your entire thought process is just wrong. the true pros and cons are these:

pros: biologically/physiologically speaking, babies born to young mothers tend to be healthier and live longer.

young parents have the potential to be around for more of their childrens lifetime.

young parents will look young at their childrens graduation and have more life left in them once their kids move out.

all of these are typically nullified by the con which is that if you have a teen pregnancy, you are probably already caught in a cylcle of poverty - one which your child will be born into. if you are not already in poverty, a teen pregnancy can often start a cycle of poverty - one which your child will be born into.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,657,386 times
Default Pros and Cons Regarding Teen Pregnancy!

Pros 1. You get some sweet section 8 housing
2. you get some cool food stamps paid for by the tax payers to feed your baby
3. you get a super cool boyfriend to help you spend your welfare check
4. your mom and Dad are so proud of you
5, All your friend think your so cool.
6. Your Grandmother really enjoys raising you and your baby and loves spending her SS on you.

Cons. 1. You ruined your life.
2. Your grandmother will pass away and you will be living on the street
3. Your boyfriend will turn you into a hooker
4. Your child will grow up to be just like you

The truth is there are no Pros to a teen having a child, it's bad for everyone in the family.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
DO NOT GET PREGNANT.
PREGANANCY MAKES YOU FAT.
CHILDREN MAKE YOU LOOK OLD.
CHILDREN COST A LOT OF MONEY.
CHILDREN HAVE NO GRATITUDE FOR YOUR SACRIFICES.

Instead of getting pregnant do this:
1. Go to school.
2. Study.
3. Become a Registered Nurse or a Teacher.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,648 times
i was 17 years old when i got pregnant with my TWINS yes i just typed TWINS! i was so in LOVE with their father we had been together for two years prior to getting pregnant and he was my first for everything... if anything the twins made us stronger for each other and brought us closer to each other... so for all you haters out there on teen pregnancy go F off seriously! there is nothing wrong with teenagers having kids...i had another baby right after... yes we are financially stable and everything! graduated from high school with them and now ready to graduated college with my nursing degree...so um yea anyone can do it if they put there heart into and have amazing support from home and the ones that care and love them the most!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.