U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thanks for telling me that Teen age sex was to "fill a void". I had never figured that out.
As I said, nothin on TV, or the X-box is broken. got to do something.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM

484 posts, read 1,046,288 times
There are no pros to teen pregnancy. We need to be more straight with teens about that fact.

Too many teens romanticize pregnancy and love. The reality is that the guy, more often than not, splits. If he does stick around, it usually isn't for long and when they are together, such relationships have a high rate of abuse and violence. The girl likely will not graduate from high school; she may get a GED at some point in the future but is very unlikely to ever attain higher education. She will likely to live in poverty, which has a direct impact of the child's chance of success in life...and so the cycle repeats. The icing on the cake is that it will be extremely hard to reverse this circumstance. Sounds like a great plan to recommend to your local high school student.

Access to birth control, ect. helps but doesn't solve the problem. Most teens that end up pregnant want to, or at least don't care if they do. They are most often in a "relationship" that they believe will defy the odds.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM

But kids having kids is so in to day. Piercings and tattoos have lost their 15 minutes of appeal. Let's have a Family. Maybe four or five kids, then we can buy a big house, and have a car, and pool, and take our kids to Europe, to see the Queen.---what reality check?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
While many teenage pregnancies are simply the accidental residue of having fun, there are plenty of cases where it is at least partly intentional.

I believe for a lot of teenaged girls, pregnancy is seen as an escape from a dysfunctional household. The hope that they can go to a new square-one and rebuild their unfulfilled lives. Akin to anorexia as another form of protest---the only thing a girl can say to protest family routine is "I'm not hungry" and walk away from the table and lock herself in her room.

Pregnancy is also often seen as a last-resort declaration of everlasting love. It is not unusual for the pubescent male in an intimate scenario to hear "I wanna have your baaaay-beeee!"

Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Kids should be kept busy with studies, till they mature enough to be able to make informed decisions on their own. . who care what Kids think? they are Kids. they need to be taught the whys and the what fores of life. they don't have enough good information to be doing a lot of decision making. When one starts a new job, how much decision making are they allowed to do. they must be taught first. Kids teaching kids, can do nothing but teach them how to be kids. We can't teach more than we know.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,084,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
What are the pros and cons regarding teen pregnancy? If you guys can list out the pros and cons so basically try to contradict yourself! What is your final verdict?

Pro

-The baby can fill the void of the teenage mother
-The baby can be someone to keep the mother company

Statements that would support this viewpoint

-Well, people were teenagers when they have kids back in the old days
-If you guys think a teenager is just a baby, then how does a baby have a baby? If you do believe in evolution and/or God, then why does not puberty starts at 18
-People say a teenager is a baby, well that is socially constructed, but it does not match up with human biology

Con

-Being responsible for the baby's well-being
-Financially responsible
-Not having time to enjoy other things
OMG! Those pros are reasons to buy a teen a puppy, not impregnate her.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Kids today, are like Kids have always been. Left on their own, they will start to belive they know more than they do. as all of us are prone to do from time to time. --My Son just reported to me, He has a Job. ---Joy Joy.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
being a teen mom myself i would say that if it was not for my baby i would not being pushing myslef to do better. and other teen moms agree that if it was not for their kids they would not be in college, working, or acting like grown ups like they are now.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,753,652 times
Quote:
What are the pros and cons regarding teen pregnancy? If you guys can list out the pros and cons so basically try to contradict yourself! What is your final verdict?

Pro

-If you guys think a teenager is just a baby, then how does a baby have a baby? If you do believe in evolution and/or God, then why does not puberty starts at 18
-People say a teenager is a baby, well that is socially constructed, but it does not match up with human biology

Con

-Being responsible for the baby's well-being
-Financially responsible
-Not having time to enjoy other things
The first responsibility should be that of our loose, liberal Government to force our loose, immoral Mass Media to stop promoting sexual immorality and glamorizing it ; America grooms sexual addicts and deviants starting at an early age . As far as the Teens today are concerned, if the girl gets pregnant , she can either keep the baby or give it up to a 2 parent family who will love and care for the child as if it were biologically theirs . This is always better than killing the innocent developing American while in the womb...which is supposed to be the safest place on earth. Unfortunately, we have a President who continues to make sexual hedonism prosper by keeping abortion clinics thriving as a convenient Ace-in-the-Hole . In summary, America is sewer of moral degradation which escalated about the same time God and his absolute moral laws were rendered dispensable and were viewed as antiquated .

Old 11-16-2009, 05:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,578,000 times
Quote:

Pro

Those are pretty weak 'Pro' argument points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates