Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Well I do not considered working at fast food or clothing unskilled. If it was then there would be no need to trained for that job.
Digging a staight ditch with a shovel my require minimal skills, but I am sure you know we are talking about skilled and unskilled jobs in context of labor forces. these words have actual meanings that have been discussed previously in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
People do not expect a handout they expect to me treated as humans and when they work a job that it pays enough so they can live. That is not asking to much.
quite a few people actually do expect handouts. some of them know no other way. doesn't mean that we don't need to help them out; it just means that we have to do it in an actually productive way: reeducation, not welfare.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM

491 posts, read 748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
They need to make decisions to that end, if that's what they want. They need to behave like grown-ups with their life in their own hands and not like children who hope everyone else will cover for them when things don't go their way.
Working at a job is being a grown up not matter what the job. What is not grown up is not paying a person a decent wage.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Working at a job is being a grown up not matter what the job. What is not grown up is not paying a person a decent wage.
You don't like the wage? Don't take the job. Get a job that a chimpanzee CAN'T be trained to do that pays better.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM

What's decent? What is the job worth? If the market will bear whatever this "decent" wage is, go for it, if the market won't because someone will do it for less, and it is "decent" for this someone else, make yourself worth more, bring more to the table, or go to a different table.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

491 posts, read 748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
What's decent? What is the job worth? If the market will bear whatever this "decent" wage is, go for it, if the market won't because someone will do it for less, and it is "decent" for this someone else, make yourself worth more, bring more to the table, or go to a different table.
Not everyone can make themselves worth more(go to college) I feel sad for you and your huge ego that you seem to only care about yourself.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Not everyone can make themselves worth more(go to college) I feel sad for you and your huge ego that you seem to only care about yourself.
There's lots of ways to make yourself more valuable to an employer, not just college. But it is far easier to "play victim" then to make the effort. Effort requires taking responsibility for yourself. "Playing victim" just requires you to blame others and whine about people "not caring".

Old 10-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Aww, don't feel so sad. It doesn't take a huge ego to understand the marketplace. Nor does it take a huge ego to see that there is no whining in the marke place. What does take a big ego and a self-centeredness is feeling like one is entitled to something just because you're you with no regard to what it is you do. You've got to work for it, or get skilled in something that pays what one needs. There are trade schools, college isn't really necessary. This is not "caring for myself" it is caring for someone else by letting them know how it is in this world and to be prepared. If you don't change the product that you are tring to sell (that being one's skills that doesn't demand more compensation) yet still shoot for the stars, you won't get hired. You don't see a lot of people trying to sell buggy whips.

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-29-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Well, I'm actually in favor of a major restructuring of society. I do not want to try to detail it all here (and I don't have it all worked out yet anyway--it's a relatively recent view of mine), but basically (1) It would abolish monetary systems, (2) Folks wouldn't have to worry about any basic needs or amenities--they'd be things you receive simply because you're alive and need/desire them, (3) You would only have to work 25% of the time (and with a four-day work week), and (4) people might have to work "dirty jobs" for up to a year, but wouldn't have to do it beyond that length if they didn't want to.

At that, I would possibly offer extra incentives for the "dirty jobs" if no one wants to do them otherwise . .. so that might equate to "paying" them more.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
You don't like the wage? Don't take the job. Get a job that a chimpanzee CAN'T be trained to do that pays better.
Is it better to be unemployed than to take a job that underpays you?

SOME money coming in is going to be better than NO money coming in. And if you won't take a job offered you because you don't think it pays enough, or you feel it's beneath you, you're no better than any other of these lazy ****s out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates