U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,313,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
You can repeat that, but I don't see much reasoning behind it. I could see folks who want to never work NOT wanting to live under that structure--because it would be required that they work 25% of the time (per only a 4 day work week), but otherwise, it makes little sense. What would they find so horrible about it do you suppose?
It sounds great. Everyone will be for it. They loved it when Lenin, Stalin and Mao did it. I'm sure it will work here just as well as it did there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
four 12-hour days would be much better...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM

491 posts, read 646,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You are paid based on the value of your work. A janitor can clean bathrooms... but so can any person on this planet... their work is not of significant value and hence they are paid as such... however a physician whose job is to help patients through their ailments and diseases is valued in most of society and is paid as such, you can't simply pick any person and call them a physician... The problem is the average person is usually employed as a person without real significant skills/talent and they "want" to be treated as if they weren't an average person... they demand higher wages without more added work or gaining any usable talent... The CEOs have the same idea, they demand higher compensation without "adding" anything significant to the company... the average person created the "CEO nightmare"... I find it a little hypocritical when they demand the same thing a CEO demands... the only difference is they are on opposite of the wealth spectrum... so what is the solution? Stop paying people what they "demand" and pay people based on their skills/talents... and that would mean the average American would have to settle with being an average worker... that means stop demanding more when you don't add anything to the company's bottom line... otherwise the CEO would do the same to you...
That is fine with me as long as the average salary is enough to live on. If not that is borderline slavery.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
That is fine with me as long as the average salary is enough to live on. If not that is borderline slavery.
As long as the "average" is enough to live on? So we would have just as many making a wage below a living wage as we would above a living wage.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,636,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
It sounds great. Everyone will be for it. They loved it when Lenin, Stalin and Mao did it. I'm sure it will work here just as well as it did there.
Could you give some references for them having the same program? I'd be interested in reading about that.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
It's not borderline anything as long as you have the choice to quit. Slaves don't quit.
Don't like the pay? Find another job that pays better. or better yet, start your own business and pay yourself.
Stop being an employee and become an employer.

Last edited by laysayfair; 10-31-2008 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Could you give some references for them having the same program? I'd be interested in reading about that.
Any good history book on the rise and fall of the U.S.S.R will do. Also, any of the works of Karl Marx.

Last edited by laysayfair; 10-31-2008 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Any good history book on the rise and fall of the U.S.S.R will do. Also, any of the works of Karl Marx.
In other words, I'm asking because you, um, "just might be wrong" (that's the understated way to say that) that the ideas are similar. So could you give a more specific reference that actually mentions what I outlined so that the similarities are clear?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
In other words, I'm asking because you, um, "just might be wrong" (that's the understated way to say that) that the ideas are similar. So could you give a more specific reference that actually mentions what I outlined so that the similarities are clear?
When you read Marx's works did you not notice the philosophical similarities to your own ideas?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
When you read Marx's works did you not notice the philosophical similarities to your own ideas?
I agree with Marx on almost nothing--and I mean from sentence to sentence. So no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or