U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,015,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, all I can say is..if I'm on a raft headed towards a desert island with you, a grave digger and a garbage collector, who do you think I'm throwing off the raft first?

No offense to you computer guys, but society would be in chaos without the dirty jobs guys and one or two less computer geeks would not even be missed.
What did I say that makes you want to toss me off "your" raft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 AM

491 posts, read 646,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well, it does take an effort if you want to improve your situation. If you don't want to, no one is going to want to hear any whining about it.
The point is that you should have to improve your situation in order to have enough to live. Just working should be enough so you can live on it. Now if you want to make more money then yes improving your situation is a good idea.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM

765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
more dead horse beating

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
The point is that you should [not] have to improve your situation in order to have enough to live. Just working should be enough so you can live on it. Now if you want to make more money then yes improving your situation is a good idea.
If you can't live on what you are making, work more hours, get a second job, don't live beyond your means. Lots of people do that to improve their situation. I guess it all depends on what living standard you require. You seem to have a bit too much passion on this topic than just a mere opinion on the world's economy. You sound like you actually have more vested in this topic. Are you actually in a situation where you feel you are underpaid for some dirty job, and feel abused?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,932,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I was a nerd in high school. It's bad enough to be a nerd, but it's even worse to be nerd from a poor family. There was a girl living 2 houses away who was also in my school, who just wouldn't give me the time of day. She was one of those "popular" girls -- with unbelievable clothes, a car, a dozen boyfriends, and an adoring crowd of followers. And she made it her hobby to pick on me. She mocked my clothes (flea market fare, I must admit, was all my folks could afford), my hair, my accent, my parents, and our 20-year-old Buick. She was relentless. And it seemed to me she was always partying or bullying someone, while I was always studying or sweeping the floor at a nearby grocery store just so I could afford a second pair of jeans. One Saturday afternoon, I was coming back from the library with a heap of books when she and her friends ambushed me. They threw my books down in the gutter, and as I stooped to pick them up, this girl said, "Boo-hoo! She's gonna read!" Well, guess what? Today, this girl is a baker's assistant, earning slightly above the minimum wage, and I am a lawyer with a well-paid office job. If this girl gets paid a lot less than I do, I see a justice in that. Not that I don't appreciate freshly-baked bread or spotless bathrooms, but no one does these jobs out of the goodness of their hearts; if anyone is stuck in a job (s)he hates, it is as a result of one's own improvident choices. Most of my colleagues were nerds as children and teenagers, who were tormented mercilessly by all those "popular" kids, many of whom now clean our bathrooms and bag our groceries. It is as it should be. These people should be paid adequately enough to keep them above the poverty line, or whatever the market will dictate -- but they don't deserve any extra cash for making choices that left them stuck in menial jobs.
This is an excellent story!! Life is a great equalizer...

Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
If you can't live on what you are making, work more hours, get a second job, don't live beyond your means. Lots of people do that to improve their situation. I guess it all depends on what living standard you require. You seem to have a bit too much passion on this topic than just a mere opinion on the world's economy. You sound like you actually have more vested in this topic. Are you actually in a situation where you feel you are underpaid for some dirty job, and feel abused?
You can not work more hours unless your employer lets you. You could get a second job but it is hard because many of the lower paying jobs have changing schedules. Even if you do have two jobs most of the time you get burned out from working to much. Why not just pay more and it would make it easier. I have worked a lot of low paying jobs and I do feel disrespected when employers do not pay me much. They are pretty much saying I do not amount to much even though I work hard.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM

When you pay an employee more you will get better production and have less turnover which will save you money. That is why low paying jobs have such high turnover rates people will leave to find a better paying job. Why don't we make these jobs pay more so they will be thought of as respectable jobs.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
At least these people are actually WORKING for a living...instead of collecting a pension, other retirement funds, Social Security, welfare...

Work...or die.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 AM

33 posts, read 106,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At least these people are actually WORKING for a living...instead of collecting a pension, other retirement funds, Social Security, welfare...

Work...or die.
So people that are retired and living off a pension and social security are burdens on society, no better than someone who lives on welfare?

I suspect that most retirees would love to continue to work at least part time but employers do not like candidates that old in most cases.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,015,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
When you pay an employee more you will get better production and have less turnover which will save you money. That is why low paying jobs have such high turnover rates people will leave to find a better paying job. Why don't we make these jobs pay more so they will be thought of as respectable jobs.
This is just not true, Poker. We have tried. I was just talk'n to a partner this morn about this type of thing. The people we have that whine and complain about pay, yet are not try'n to be more efficient or want less responsibility, are also the ones out the door first and late to work more often. These employees have limited time w/us as we look for someone else to fill their shoes.

The ones who do become more efficient, to work early and leave late, are the ones who want more responsibilty and get more work done in a day. They earn more money, and that drives the whiners crazy.

Btw, where does this money come from to pay them more, as you say? You need more drive, Poker. You need to have more respect for yourself, and take responsibilty for your own actions and situation. Don't loose your "pi$$ and vinegar", and take your thumb outta your mouth. I'm not bash'n you, just try'n to motivate you, but I'm not a good motivational speaker(obviously). One thing that helps me is I tell my self "suck it up Nancy!". It has helped some of my help too. Also, "when the going gets tuff, the tuff get going".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or