U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 05:54 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,793,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You need a little education. If one is able to retire, they are living off what they already earned and saved. They have already paid taxes on what they earned, or they are having to pay taxes on required distributions from their IRAs or 401Ks etc. plus the money they are living on goes directly into the economy. This is good stuff, are you getting it all. If you want to work yourself into the grave, no one will stop you. "Candidates for euthanasia" LOL you funny guy.
I used to think that it's not right because the few bucks they paid in long ago really isn't worth diddly now with everything so expensive these days but retired folks are very neccessary in the economy. I worked doing home improvements for several years and about 90% of the customers were retired. I got rid of my distorted thinking about thier "free ride" realizing that if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be bringing home nice checks and paying my bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM

491 posts, read 646,462 times
Quote:
"Waaaaaaaaa, it's hard!" I just hear a bunch of whining. Did I call this, or what? If you want a better paying dirty job, they're out there. Don't settle for a low paying dirty jobs. Pay is based not on how hard you work, but how much money does the job produce for the company. How about rough-necking? You know, working on a drilling rig. I've done that, and is it ever dirty. You can really make some of money, especially if you work two eight-hour tours (pronounced towers). Double the wage and double the per-diem. A lot more than slinging fries. But there is no whining in rough-necking, or your driller will just send you to the house. IOW, you're fired. If there is no oil-field around you, move. That is what I had to do. I lived in various weekly-rates motels, and rooms for rent, and sent the money back home to the family. It'll toughen you up, and you'll learn a lot of new words and combinations of words that you never thought would have gone together, LOL. Soon you will be repeating the mantra, "Oil Field Trash and Proud of it!" After doing that for a while, AND going to school, I eventually became a petroleum geologist.
You do not understand the real world do you? You seem to think life is that easy that you just find another job that pays more.

Last edited by PokerPlayer84; 11-12-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
You just don't get it, do you? You think I haven't done these jobs I now have employees do, and yet I still do on many occasions? There is not one single job that I have asked an employee to do that I have not done myself and have learned to do efficiently. There are still jobs I will not have an employee do, as it is dirty/hard/nasty work or it takes a little more thinking to do right.

When a person gets more work done in 12hrs vs. someone who takes 18hrs, yes, the more efficient worker gets paid more.

You think employers pay as little as they can, eh? ONLY to those employees who do as little as they can.

Yes, I've earned the level I'm at and you need to earn to get to that level. I'm not going to hand it to you, like you wish would happen. I won't bust my a$$ to hand a whiner a "free ride".

Everyone should better themselves! My son isn't worth much in any business I have, but he is bettering himself every time he tries. Inhumane?

The better workers get paid more. We all need to be better.

I've never seen the like..........
I was gonna write something but it is clear you are just ignorant and think you deserve things more then others because you "worked hard" whatever that means.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
You do not understand the real world do you? You seem to think life is that easy that you just find another job that pays more.
Being a Geologist, I do understand the real world. Get it? <geology humor> You didn't comprehend my post. Did any of that post of mine above sound easy? I started out rough-necking, it was not easy, in fact it was very hard, in south Texas. That's what got me through school to get the jobs that paid better, to where I was able to tell the drilling companies where to drill, when they eventually worked for me. You think I just did that by simply finding another job, by dumb luck? I didn't do it by whining. It took a good understanding of how the world worked. Maybe you need to find out how the working world works.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Being a Geologist, I do understand the real world. Get it? <geology humor> You didn't comprehend my post. Did any of that post of mine above sound easy? I started out rough-necking, it was not easy, in fact it was very hard, in south Texas. That's what got me through school to get the jobs that paid better, to where I was able to tell the drilling companies where to drill, when they eventually worked for me. You think I just did that by simply finding another job, by dumb luck? I didn't do it by whining. It took a good understanding of how the world worked. Maybe you need to find out how the working world works.
I have worked these jobs for a couple years and I know how it works. The only real way to go up is to be a manager. Becoming a manager is not as easy as it sounds though you need to put in a lot of years. Only so many people can become managers what are the rest of the employees supposed to do? The people that are building there way to a better position they need enough to live on? Or do you prefer they become homless?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I have worked these jobs for a couple years and I know how it works. The only real way to go up is to be a manager. Becoming a manager is not as easy as it sounds though you need to put in a lot of years. Only so many people can become managers what are the rest of the employees supposed to do? The people that are building there way to a better position they need enough to live on? Or do you prefer they become homless?
They need to do whatever they can do to make sure they are among the few that are potential managment material. I have never known a time when candidates for a job didn't out number the available positions. While we like to think that there is equal opportunity, there is no entitlement to equal outcome. As for "enough to live on" it depends on how you define "enough." During my budding career as a Geologist, I was a mud-logger (not as dirty as roughnecking, but close). I "lived" if that is what you want to call it, with several other guys at the logging company's field office, where they had set up some of their older logging trailers, without all the logging equipment, with a few bunk beds and a shower. We had several crews that worked 12-hr shifts. When we were off duty, we slept in the bunks in shifts. There was a kitchen of sorts in the big room that was the employee's lounge in the office building. That was how we lived, so it was enough to live on. That time was spent learning how to log horizontal drilling. I didn't become a manager because I was there learning the skill. This technique was very new back in the early to mid 80's and I was learning it to bring to another logging company. It doubled my pay. Now it is a techmique considerably more widespread in the active play going on currently in the DFW area. While you aren't in O&G per se, my road also let me know that this was all on my own, no one was going to "give" me anything. I haven't even told you about the times I got screvved by shady O&G operators, - such as spending a month bringing a well in, only to have the guy arrested by the SEC - nobody got paid. It could have been worse, I could have owned that drilling company, they were out a few $100,000.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg View Post
This is a prime example of people sitting on the shoulders of others and not truly understanding how they arrived there. The sweat of the working man's brow is what provided you with your office space and installed the heating & air system, not to mention the chair you sit in, the car in which you arrived along with the sweatshop's dirty little workers that made the clothes on your back. Some folks no matter how smart they are or how much effort they put forth, recieve not a bit of thanks or credit but I'am sure you will leave all the real work to all the real people who carry this country on a daily basis, and you can not even spell your own self proclaimed title but I'am sure you can hire a tutor or proof reader on your lofty income. And leave the thinking to folks with experiance!
Just to let you know, this poster was banned a while back and pretty much, every thead this person started was as a troll. I really don't believe this was a factual situation.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:34 PM

1,884 posts, read 4,015,022 times
Quote:
I was gonna write something but it is clear you are just ignorant and think you deserve things more then others because you "worked hard" whatever that means.
Was gonna write something, eh? Well, maybe you can whine enough so someone will post for you. Grow a pair.

Sorry mods...........

Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
They need to do whatever they can do to make sure they are among the few that are potential managment material. I have never known a time when candidates for a job didn't out number the available positions. While we like to think that there is equal opportunity, there is no entitlement to equal outcome. As for "enough to live on" it depends on how you define "enough." During my budding career as a Geologist, I was a mud-logger (not as dirty as roughnecking, but close). I "lived" if that is what you want to call it, with several other guys at the logging company's field office, where they had set up some of their older logging trailers, without all the logging equipment, with a few bunk beds and a shower. We had several crews that worked 12-hr shifts. When we were off duty, we slept in the bunks in shifts. There was a kitchen of sorts in the big room that was the employee's lounge in the office building. That was how we lived, so it was enough to live on. That time was spent learning how to log horizontal drilling. I didn't become a manager because I was there learning the skill. This technique was very new back in the early to mid 80's and I was learning it to bring to another logging company. It doubled my pay. Now it is a techmique considerably more widespread in the active play going on currently in the DFW area. While you aren't in O&G per se, my road also let me know that this was all on my own, no one was going to "give" me anything. I haven't even told you about the times I got screvved by shady O&G operators, - such as spending a month bringing a well in, only to have the guy arrested by the SEC - nobody got paid. It could have been worse, I could have owned that drilling company, they were out a few $100,000.
I think this is the problem you worked in geology which is a whole different jobs then working at a resturant or retail. You can not understand how these work unless you have done them.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 4,015,022 times
Quote:
I think this is the problem you worked in geology which is a whole different jobs then working at a resturant or retail. You can not understand how these work unless you have done them.
So I take it that you have some geology background since you say they are a whole different job than restaurant or retail work.

Are you in the restaurant/retail business now, Poker? I know a bit about both, but geology....you got me there.

Maybe start a new thread, Poker.....if you want to make more money. I've been a prick to you/and you to me, but I'd be willing to help anyway I can w/any connections I may have. But first you gotta show me that you have a "pair" and are willing to work hard. I'm sure others would be just as willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or