Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,607,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i don't mean that you are the only one seeing that--i think we have all seen that. i just mean that it isn't definitive of everyone in our areas, even yours. i think--and place my trust in--that the majority of humanity, even the poor ones, are still honest, decent, hard-working folk. for the most part, my experience supports that. but personal experience, as you mentioned above, is hardly a reliable source for census-type information.
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 08:17 PM

491 posts, read 746,192 times
There is plenty of money in the world to go around. There should be no reason that a person that works should not be ablt to have food and a place to live. The reason this does not happen is greed. The people with all the money do not want to give it up so others can benifit.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
There is plenty of money in the world to go around. There should be no reason that a person that works should not be ablt to have food and a place to live. The reason this does not happen is greed. The people with all the money do not want to give it up so others can benifit.
If I worked hard for my money, took risks that others wouldn't, and I have a $1 more than someone else.......then why should I "give it up so others can benifit" from my hard work?

You have a computer/internet, I assume? Then you have more money than others, do you "give it up so others can benifit"?

Look at those who have been given money, did they use it to produce jobs for others?

The US is not a communist nation. Where do you "live", Poker?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
If I worked hard for my money, took risks that others wouldn't, and I have a $1 more than someone else.......then why should I "give it up so others can benifit" from my hard work?

You have a computer/internet, I assume? Then you have more money than others, do you "give it up so others can benifit"?

Look at those who have been given money, did they use it to produce jobs for others?

The US is not a communist nation. Where do you "live", Poker?
That is fine you should but everyone who works should be able to live on it. THis is just human decency

Old 10-19-2008, 02:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,534,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
That is fine you should but everyone who works should be able to live on it. THis is just human decency
How do you know we're not posting from the library? Or, horrors, from work?

EDIT: Quoted wrong post. Did not include Capt. Cave Man's post, which is the text I was answering, not Poker's.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How do you know we're not posting from the library? Or, horrors, from work?

EDIT: Quoted wrong post. Did not include Capt. Cave Man's post, which is the text I was answering, not Poker's.
Good point, I never thought of that. Our library has one computer. Benefits of living in a small town.

Who would be on here during work, that is just wrong.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,534,074 times
If it's that small, you might not have clients to tend to at that moment...for those who work in an office.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,072,600 times
Why is it almost every discussion involving income brings up the issue of not having enough to "support my family".
In the world of low wage earners, almost invariably the "family" was started when the low income was already a fact.
Just because one is physically capable of having children doesn't make it mandatory.
How well educated do you need to be to know that if you make minimum wage you most likely aren't going to comfortably sustain a family of 4?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM

105 posts, read 681,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why is it almost every discussion involving income brings up the issue of not having enough to "support my family".
In the world of low wage earners, almost invariably the "family" was started when the low income was already a fact.
Just because one is physically capable of having children doesn't make it mandatory.
How well educated do you need to be to know that if you make minimum wage you most likely aren't going to comfortably sustain a family of 4?
I think this is an excellent point. I'm 25, with a good job, a college degree, an amazing boyfriend and a supportive family....but...I won't get married or have kids yet purely because of financial limitations. (of course, I'm saving so this won't hold me back forever).

My brain and my heart have a hard time with this one. My brain says people who make the decision to have a family should be able to support that decision- financially. My heart says everyone has the right to have a family, and money shouldn't stop someone from exercising that right.

And of course I'm not addressing those that have families where the providers have lost their jobs.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 PM

I guess the problem I have is people care more about if there employee is "skilled" or "unskilled" then that they are a human and need food and shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates