Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times

Advertisements

Given the present condition of our economy, and a certain woman who has no scruples concerning said economy or society in general, wouldn't it seem prudent for the government to cap welfare payments to women at two kids?

The mentality of today's America is 'Don't let the children suffer'. The mentality of an awful lot of women who use the system is 'America won't let my children suffer', but society as a whole isn't responsible for irresponsible choices made by women who use the welfare system as a means of perpetual support, yet we pay for as many kids those women pop out year after year.

It makes sense to me to cap payment at two kids and let the parents take the responsibility of curbing the population explosion.

It would take a while, and yes, some kids will suffer, but when does the burden of all those kids become the responsibility of THE PARENTS and not the entire country??? It wouldn't take long before the brakes are applied when no more money is coming in. Those women would simply have to stop having babies or suffer the consequences.

I sincerely believe that the system is put in place for a purpose, but has been hijacked by those who use it to sustain themselves by having more babies so they receive more money, all too often.

Drive through the poorer neighborhoods and you will see women on welfare wearing designer clothes, expensive sneakers, top of the line winter coats, etc.. Sometimes their kids are wearing name brands also, but a lot of times, they're not.

You still have those who fall on hard times with the kids they have, and use the system to hold themselves and their families up for a bit, but those people usually go back to work or at least use the money to keep their families taken care of. They pay their bills and stay in the same place for more than it takes for the others to be evicted.

I'm just thinking that America is not responsible for the idiotic selfishness of those who milk the rest of us for everything we have.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I think the first welfare recipients to go should be church organizations.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM

575 posts, read 3,693,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Now that's a good idea.
------------------------
I also think the whole system has to be revamped, for example....

Your in need and get approved, fine NO MORE POPPING OFF KIDS while collecting the freebies.

Must aggressively search for employment and prove it.

No extra perks unless working (many collect, don't look for work and have daycare to boot...) what is that huh?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
??

The church I attend runs 2 free medical/dental clinics for people with no insurance or money. There are no pre conditions- just the need of services.

Gee, I guess this is indeed a terrible thing and we should do away with it, huh? And those doctors, dentists, nurses, interpreters, administrators... who volunteer their time are real jerks, huh? Yes, let's do away with all that- as well as the other few hundred thousand dollars that this church gives to people who are homeless, need food, need clothing or other such handouts for assistance to live. Gads, we're a terrible church!! We ought to all be lined up and shot.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
After two hurricanes ;I say lets get rid of government before the churches.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
I'm talking about those who have babies just so they can collect more money. When a woman is on welfare, she doesn't need to be having babies the state has to support.

Case in point: California is sinking fast, yet this woman, who is on welfare with 6 kids has 8 more knowing the state will have to foot the bill. Knowing that she should not have had any more at all, much less a litter that will have special needs for years to come.

Case in point: Illegal aliens who come to the states for the sole purpose of having a baby here so that child can be educated here and she can stay, and the states foot the bills.

Case in point: The woman who has 3 or 4 kids and gets pregnant because it means she will get a fatter check each month, more in food stamps, and a bigger house, while she sits with her other welfare friends and talks about how they screwed the system.

The welfare gravy train has to change. It wasn't meant to support generation after generation of families who just don't want to work because they get money by having more babies.

Hospital bills alone are outrageous, and they think nothing of them. They are also, quite often, the ones who, instead of taking their kid to the doctor, run them into the emergency room and runs up bills there. They have no scruples because it costs them nothing.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Welfare has become a monster. I get the general idea- to lend a helping hand to people in times of need. And that is the right thing for government to do.

But, when liberals are in charge they have a differing point of view on social services in that it's unlimited cradle to grave for those who either can't, or won't work. That allows people like this woman to essentially use babies as a method for more social aid.

However, many states are placing various caps on welfare.

So what's a welfare mama to do?

Answer: Fibromyalgia!!

The "I hurt for no reason" illness. Doctors run nerve conductivity tests that say there's no pain. But, plaintiff attorneys and liberal judges have forced the government to place these women on a social security disability for life- along with all the other entitlements.

I've had numerous claims with women on SSI with fibromyalgia and all of them led very active lives. One even taught arobics full time- but you understand, she hurts too much to work.

It's just a shell game for the government tit. That's all it is and ever will be.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
Have you heard about the woman who INTENTIONALLY became obese just so she can go on disability and not work a day in her life? I know I have!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
??

The church I attend runs 2 free medical/dental clinics for people with no insurance or money. There are no pre conditions- just the need of services.

Gee, I guess this is indeed a terrible thing and we should do away with it, huh? And those doctors, dentists, nurses, interpreters, administrators... who volunteer their time are real jerks, huh? Yes, let's do away with all that- as well as the other few hundred thousand dollars that this church gives to people who are homeless, need food, need clothing or other such handouts for assistance to live. Gads, we're a terrible church!! We ought to all be lined up and shot.

It is not about being a terrible church or being terrible people. Several months ago we had this same type of debate and I brought the link to the studies that were done that were evaluating this. It busted the mytho that churches in general did this bang up job and that they were in a position to run it correctly. It is a myth.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
The states are broke or headed that way. There are not enough taxpayers to support welfare. Watch out if you own property because your prop taxes are about to skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates