Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by saganista
Quote:
Planets may exist in the absence of credit, but there is no such thing as an economy that exists without credit.
The problem is that credit is an abstract construct, just like the future.
The future comes whether we want it or not.
Unfortunately the fact that someone will pay his debt is not as certain as the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by saganista The problem is that credit is an abstract construct, just like the future.
How is that a problem? Money itself is an abstract concept. Sometimes we represent it with salt or beads. Sometimes we become fascinated by shiny metal objects or turn to little pieces of paper. These are all pronouns with an abstract antecedent.

Quote:
The future comes whether we want it or not.
Our cemeteries are full of people for whom the future stopped coming, whether they wanted it to or not.

Quote:
Unfortunately the fact that someone will pay his debt is not as certain as the future.
Your buddy may skip town. A customer may go into bankruptcy. The company whose bonds you hold may collapse. Uncertainty is one of the things that comes with the future, assuming that the future comes at all. On the other hand, when was the last time the guy at 7-11 refused to accept your ten-dollar bill? When was the last time the US Government defaulted on any of its debt securities? How many ways are there in which to calculate the uncertainty of receiving a settlement of debts owed to you and factor that into your business model? Bottom line is I still don't see the nature of the probelm you are trying to point out...

Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Without mortgages few would be able to own a house.
Without them being available the prices would come down to more reasonable levels.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Originally Posted by saganista
Quote:
Money itself is an abstract concept.
True, but if you cannot exchange money into something valuable (like gold) it is just paper.

Quote:
Our cemeteries are full of people for whom the future stopped coming, whether they wanted it to or not.
No they're dead which is not the same as not aging anymore.
Corpses still age.

Quote:
On the other hand, when was the last time the guy at 7-11 refused to accept your ten-dollar bill?
Funny, just yesterday I went to my grandfather by bus which costs 3 euros.
The busdriver initially did not want to except my 3 Euros which I only had in small change (3 fifty eurocents coins, ten 1 eurocent coins and the rest in 5 eurocent coins).
I pointed out that I paid in cash and that it was not my problem that he had no room for my coins.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
True, but if you cannot exchange money into something valuable (like gold) it is just paper.
If you can't exchange money for things of value, then it isn't money. Gold, meanwhile, is about as valuable as wampum. Not much intrinsic use for either one, actually. All you can do is hope that some other people want the stuff enough so that you can dump it off on them for something of real value...money. Little pieces of paper...or increasingly, little electronic bits that describe how many little pieces of paper you would have if you had any at all. Much more useful than gold...

Quote:
No they're dead which is not the same as not aging anymore.
Corpses still age.
But they are rarely caught unprepared to deal with the implications of their aging.

Quote:
Funny, just yesterday I went to my grandfather by bus which costs 3 euros.
The busdriver initially did not want to except my 3 Euros which I only had in small change (3 fifty eurocents coins, ten 1 eurocent coins and the rest in 5 eurocent coins). I pointed out that I paid in cash and that it was not my problem that he had no room for my coins.
Some people. You'd think he'd have appreciated your having exact change...

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea I see that people generally still believe that 'the system' equals the world.
The end of the dinosaurs only meant the end of the dinosaurs and not the end of the world, so a breakdown of the current economical system might spell the end of the majority of the people but it is not the end of the world.
The developed nations cannot survive without credit.

That does include your rinky dinky country where I used to drive to Eindhoven to eat at the Kentucky Fried Chicken there.

Unlike you and the Americans, I'll do just fine living in Romania, where we don't need credit.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why extend credit when there is a likelihood the customer will default? Cash only.
The overwhelming majority of customers do not default, and there are statistical models that show tendencies and trends, which is actually built into the system (ie you subsidize it).

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Survival? How the heck people in other countries lived and still are living without credit? Are they not surviving, or are they better of?
They use credit, they just don't live on credit. People have been using credit for 7,000 years, you want them to stop? Good luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Without them being available the prices would come down to more reasonable levels.
Not necessarily, the cost of housing is ruled by supply and demand, what the market bears.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Money is nothing more than a storehouse of value, we're still basically on a barter system, but money standardized the value of things. Made it easier to trade one cow for three bushels of wheat, or whatever else was considered "fair" at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates