Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Increase DL age requirement to 18
Yup 58 55.77%
Nope 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Minors can be tried as adults in a criminal court. If that is the state's right, then I think they can drive at 16.
Depends on the state. Minors can be tried as adults if the state allows it, but ONLY in cases of serious crimes (murder, rape, arson, and other violent crimes). Juveniles who commit vehicular type of offenses, even DUI, are usually tried in the juvenile system, then released to their parents. Under the law, they are protected from the harsher punishment that adults often receive for similar crimes.

Quote:
Do you really want parents to have to drive their kids around all throughout high school for every activity???
What's wrong with that? Are you afraid it might damage their precious little self esteem to have their parents take them places? Even so, what's wrong with walking or riding a bike? That's good exercise ... and many of today's overweight teens could sure use more physical fitness!

Why do people seem to think that driving, and/or obtaining a license is some kind of a God given right or necessity as soon as a kid turns 16??? It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM

196 posts, read 444,542 times
Don't know if this has been said already, but I think there should be an age limit on DLs. Teens are bad I'm well aware of that, but 9 times out of 10 it's an elderly person I seem to run into problems with while on the road. I feel for the elderly, I really sincerely do, but we should really take a closer look at revocation for certain circumstances.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM

274 posts, read 605,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What's wrong with that? Are you afraid it might damage their precious little self esteem to have their parents take them places? Even so, what's wrong with walking or riding a bike? That's good exercise ... and many of today's overweight teens could sure use more physical fitness!

Why do people seem to think that driving, and/or obtaining a license is some kind of a God given right or necessity as soon as a kid turns 16??? It's not.
It has nothing to do with self-esteem, and you would know that if you had read my earlier posts. You cannot walk everywhere and parents may not be reliable to take teens to and from school/work/other places they may need to be.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Just because it was like that for YOU does not mean that everyone else has to walk everywhere.
If it didn't "hurt" me, it won't "hurt" anyone else.

Nothing wrong with a little "exercise". Kids these days, too fat and lazy. Let them walk off a bit of that excess weight--or they'll grow into lazy adults who always have to hop in the car to go a few blocks!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM

274 posts, read 605,973 times
I never said it would "hurt" anyone---I just said that not everywhere may be close enough to walk to. Therefore, having a license would be necessary instead of walking 30 miles one way.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default It would save teen lives...

I think some system of "graduated" licensing for teens is definitely in order. Many teens at age 16 may be mature enough to handle unrestricted driving, but many, many are just not. There really isn't any valid method to measure maturity level. So regrettably, the answer may lie in restricting all of them a little more.

This is not punitive towards teens. As has been mentioned, if you look at the teen death statistics, I think they support a change in the way licensing is done.

(This is an issue I feel strongly about because it's personal. My 16 year old son was killed 7 years ago in a freak car accident along with 2 of his 17 year old friends. Without going into all the details, let me just say that I don't believe the 17 year old driver was at fault except maybe he was driving too fast. The road they got on was under construction and apparently, it was not barricaded. So they were other major issues besides driver error, but if they hadn't been licensed to drive, they wouldn't have been in that situation at all.)

Now obviously, parents can restrict their own child from getting a license until later, and maybe we indeed should, but that's difficult given the fact that 16 is considered THE age when legally they can drive.

Yes, they might have to walk some places or not go. But that's a small price to pay, for still being alive to do it.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I voted Yes because I think 16 years old is way to young to be operating a motor vehicle especially when a lot (not all) end up driving irresponsibly whether it's drinking & driving, driving to fast, etc.

I understand that those older than 16 do the same things, but if you increase the age you will at least help decrease some of the negative statistics. I know how exciting it is as a young kid to want to be 16 and get a license, but the safety on our roads is what's most important here.

Again, I know there are plenty of responsible young people ages 16-17 who are probably very good drivers and it's unfair to them, but waiting two more years wouldn't kill them. I rode the city bus until I was 19 years old because I couldn't afford a car, I had a license, but I didn't have enough money to buy a vehicle until then. It wasn't easy, it was a pain, but that's life sometimes and I did just fine and made it through.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
I never said it would "hurt" anyone---I just said that not everywhere may be close enough to walk to. Therefore, having a license would be necessary instead of walking 30 miles one way.
Be serious...how many schools are 30 miles away from the kids they serve?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Be serious...how many schools are 30 miles away from the kids they serve?
Seriously - it is not just the school that can be 5 to 8 miles away - but the soccer game at another school across town - or the band concert 50 miles away - etc

You are very myopic in your perspective AND knowledge of what goes on in schools these days -

You never participated in school activities - by your own admission - you are a loner.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,590 times
I remember when i was young, the one thing i looked forward to was being able to drive. I agree that as teenagers a lot are not responsible enough to handle a motor vehicle. Evan back as far as when i was a teen, there were many irresponsible drivers. I can even remember having races with friends and schoolmates, but we always did it somewhere that was safe, away from everyday traffic.

I think most teens now are not responsible enough to handle driving, espeically with cell phones, iPods, their friends, etc. dsitracting them.

Iowa has the graduated liscence law, whcih limits how long a teen can drive, and they cannot carry passengers (other than an adult)

I think that is a good start, but they need to put more limits on a teen liscence if they are still going to allow teens to learn how to drive.
One of the hardest things is enforcement of the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates