Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Increase DL age requirement to 18
Yup 58 55.77%
Nope 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,038,208 times

Advertisements

I voted no. Instead I think we should stop treating our young people like overgrown toddlers and give them reasonable responsibility at a reasonable age.

The problem is not that teens are too young to drive, but they are too immature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,556,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I voted no. Instead I think we should stop treating our young people like overgrown toddlers and give them reasonable responsibility at a reasonable age.

The problem is not that teens are too young to drive, but they are too immature.

If they're old enough to drive, they're old enough to start paying RENT--no more free room and board.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 PM

274 posts, read 605,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they're old enough to drive, they're old enough to start paying RENT--no more free room and board.
I don't understand the logic behind that...but they should at least PAY for the car that they're driving. I don't believe that just because someone can drive means that they should be 100% self supporting in every way at age 16.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Why not start them out early? Make them earn their keep. You do want them to grow up to be responsible, yes?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 PM

I don't disagree with them being responsible, I just don't understand how they can live on their own as minors---they cannot even sign a lease at age 16. And what employer would hire a 16 year old dropout full time?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 PM

I didn't say they should live on their own...I said they should CONTRIBUTE to their own upkeep by working.

But I also purport to RAISE the driving age.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM

How much would you want them to contribute is the question then. I thought paying rent = shelter, utility bills, food, health care, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM

100% of their income, of course.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Ok, so 100% of a 16 yr old's income goes to rent that they pay their parents??? Where is the value in that? That doesn't even teach money management skills, ie saving.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,038,208 times
Quote:
I didn't say they should live on their own...I said they should CONTRIBUTE to their own upkeep by working.

But I also purport to RAISE the driving age.
Quote:
100% of their income, of course.
Wow, you're not one for balance in life, are you?

I said earlier that I am in favor of young adults having reasonable responsibility. I am not in favor of reducing the relationship between parent and young adult (some people call them teens) into a business like contract. I do expect our young adults to contribute as well as to maintain their job as students. They need to learn to balance, just as we all do. However, it is still my responsibility to provide basic care....food, lodging, clothes, etc.

Driving is not so much a matter of age as it is maturity. I was the only one of 4 siblings who had a job at 15. I was also the only one who learned to drive when I was 16. There was a direct relationship between the privileges I earned and the responsibility I managed. That is what we are teaching our young adults as well.

Neither of our young adults have steady employment yet, neither drives. One is not old enough, the other is not ready and he can't afford it. They contribute to our household now by taking on responsibility here as well as managing their full time job as students and earning money when/where they can outside the house.

I think the problem with many young drivers is that the parents do not evaluate enough the readiness of the young adult. Age by itself should not be enough to grant privileges which require a certain level of responsibility. Such privileges should be earned, not granted. Risk increases further if the young adult is not invested by having to pay their own insurance, gas and for the vehicle they use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates