U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times

Advertisements

Serial killers as a type of criminal have only been recognise for a short while. Evwen then we really don't know how many there has been or are how.Many couintriues actully still don't keep enough record to even really know the numver of homocides.Cerwtinly if you look at the recent murders of young women in mexico that are listed in the hundreds with the same MO they have a huge problem. It is common for people to go missing in many cpountiresd of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
The Wikipedia list left off a bunch of well known mass murderers:
Stalin,
Hitler,
Pol Pot,
Theodosius I (Year 390)
Ethelred II (Year 1002)
Powhatans
Oliver Cromwell (1649)
Whangaroa Maori (killed and then ate them...1792)

We could go on and on....many killings are never reported. Who would report a killing of a child who lives in a trash dump in Nepal? Many killings are never investigated. Who is responsible for killing the women in Juarez.

The statistics you cite are erroneous for many reasons--but one of the most important is because they focus on the USA. There are many killers--from many cultures--all over the world. The USA has no monopoloy, nor even a significantly higher ratio of killings. We just have a lot better reporting. This is not to say it is ok. It is also not saying that there may be other cultures with less killing. But we don't have as much killing, in comparison to other cultures as it appears.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by averagejoe76
Quote:
Someone managed to find a way to inject race into this...Amazing
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Industrial Revolution start in Europe which predominately is Caucasian?
My point is that modern technology could be the cause for individualism which in extreme cases could easily lead to someone becoming a serial killer.
Before modern technology man knew that surviving without a tribe is very hard in the wilderness, but because of modern technology the individual (falsely) believes that he can survive solo.
So since Caucasian society has modern weaponry the longest it is only logical to conclude that societies with large numbers of Caucasian people have a greater chance of producing serial killers.
It wouldn’t surprise me if low tech societies have no serial killers at all, although they may have mass murderers.
The difference between serial killers and mass murderers is that serial killers prey on members of their own society while mass murderers prey on victims outside their society.

Last edited by Tricky D; 02-28-2009 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,488,984 times
Perhaps the ever increasing ability to cross reference crimes has brought serial criminals to light.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
...Or perhaps they just get more publicity here in the United States, where the press slides down into the pit of sensationalism if it looks like newspapers aren't selling well enough.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Industrial Revolution start in Europe which predominately is Caucasian?
My point is that modern technology could be the cause for individualism which in extreme cases could easily lead to someone becoming a serial killer.
Before modern technology man knew that surviving without a tribe is very hard in the wilderness, but because of modern technology the individual (falsely) believes that he can survive solo.
So since Caucasian society has modern weaponry the longest it is only logical to conclude that societies with large numbers of Caucasian people have a greater chance of producing serial killers.
It wouldn’t surprise me if low tech societies have no serial killers at all, although they may have mass murderers.
The difference between serial killers and mass murderers is that serial killers prey on members of their own society while mass murderers prey on victims outside their society.
What a crock of crap.
Hitler killed Jews that were part of his society even tho he didn't like it.
People have been killing off people in massive numbers since the dawn of time & disturbed individuals have preyed on their neighbors forever.

The big difference is that today we can compile statistics because we actually discover serial killers & catch mass murderers.

I used to think you just hated America, it seems the truth is you are racially biased against Caucasians.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Why can't we all just get along and be best friends ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
What a crock of crap.
People have been killing off people in massive numbers since the dawn of time & disturbed individuals have preyed on their neighbors forever.

The big difference is that today we can compile statistics because we actually discover serial killers & catch mass murderers.

I used to think you just hated America, it seems the truth is you are racially biased against Caucasians.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Hitler killed Jews because he never considered them part of German society and the Germanic race.
He doesn't even acknowledge Jews as (fully) human.

Who's full o' crap now?
I suggest you brush up on history.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Or you can read the stats count the numbers and face the fact that America does in fact lead the world in serial and mass murders.. It looks like to me we can't be number one in a lot of things but when it coms to the sadistic butchering of one another no one does it better than America.
If it isn't reported, it didn't happen....might want to take that under advisement. (Not to mention quality of investigation and access to advanced tech in linking and solving crimes...ie) DNA )

Also, you have an incredibly limited worldview. Go google lost boys sudan and you might learn something.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Children, children....don't squabble--stop your sniping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates