U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 PM

16,498 posts, read 20,049,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Why do you think there is more school and workplace shootings in America than the rest of the world? Not to mention the abundance of serial killers?
If there were more violence in the workplace it would vastly improve the workplace environment today. I'm stunned that you don't read about more workplace violence, each and every day.

Serial Killlers? In third world countries, they don't have the time and police force to investigate them. I'm sure there are any number of serial killers running loose in Africa, India, Mexico, Central America, who will never be arrrested. Randy Kraft was our most prolific serial killer with 57 victims.

I'm sure in any number of third world countries, that number has been surpassed any number of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 AM

597 posts, read 1,130,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Why do you think there is more school and workplace shootings in America than the rest of the world? Not to mention the abundance of serial killers?
This is a "Made in USA" product.
Why? I don't know.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,761,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
We don't have the outlet of war or oppressive governments like many nations have. In many nations the nuts can get their thrills legally by joining the police.
Oppressiveness comes in many forms ; certainly the high level of taxation on this nations populous because our Government iirresponsibly spends money like its a bottomless pit, is oppressive . Same at the State level.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,679,148 times
Because they medicate to "mask" mental health "disorders", and people go on to live seemingly "normal" lives.....reproducing offspring with inherited mental disorders. There is so much more to say, but then I don't have time to write a book here....but it does have something to do with a lack of "permanent consequences" such as the death penalty.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 8,951 times
Here is a link which country has the highest murder rate Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster. My chances of being killing are higher in Russia and third world countries. While my chances of being killed are lower in Ja[an and other developed countries. I will not deny America has problems. For example the media glorifies serial killers. It is gotten worse with th the t show Dexter (a vigilant) and the anti-hero Sylar on Heroes. Anyhow there are more mass murders and spree killers then serial killers. I don't know what that says other then society has made a culture that allows this. A serial killer is less likely to get caught in a third world country.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,647,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaf View Post
The worlds sterotype of serial killer is a white male as it's sterotype of a bomber is a muslim male. These are sterotypes because these people are reported to us. And therefore makes us think this is what they look like. Serial killers have been reported outside the USA. The thing is in non- Western countries or third world countries it is easier for a serial killer to go his whole life without being caught. A serial killer in Iran was caught for example (look it up on the internet you will find it). In those countries it would be easier to make someone to vanish off the earth. For example in Sweeney Todd's time it was easy for him for a while to make people to just vanish in thin air. Also these countries are more violent and therefore making these kind of people blend in better. Only certain people would get strange vibes. Like on the tv show Dexter Doakes sense something off about the serial killer Dexter. And I don't think strange vides would happen in a third world culture. Serial killers have been around even before Jack the Ripper.
I was watching something on serial killers not long ago (a subject that interests me) and they made a suggestion that the vampire and werewolf stories of Europe a few centuries ago may have been born of the activities of serial killers after multiple murders, especially where bodies were mutilated.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,172,990 times
They aren't there are plenty of serial killers all around the world. You just don't hear about them

Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 AM

597 posts, read 1,130,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Mass murders, the worst.

Soviet Union
Communist China
Nazi Germany

...all other pale in comparison...

Most mass murders by individuals....Look it up on Wiki...the US is far from the worst.....

I agree.
But you forgot one more: USA -> Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The USA was the only country wich launched an atomic weapon on a civilian population in world history.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I agree.
But you forgot one more: USA -> Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The USA was the only country wich launched an atomic weapon on a civilian population in world history.
Yes it is nothing for us to brag about but in honest more lives would have died if America invaded Japan. It saved 100,000 American soldiers and perhaps as many as 1,000,000 Japanese. That said that atomic bomb is not as deadly as the nucluer weapons the world has now. And it is a good thing that America culture takes these kind of weapons seriously enough. Anyhow mass murders (someone going on a shooting spree or setting off a bomb) is more commom then serial killers.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,172,990 times
How ridiculous and off subject, the crews that bombed hiroshima and Nagasaki would not be SERIAL KILLERS unless they continued to do so.
There was a guy in Russia who killed thirty some people travelling by train. The authorities never linked them up until he confessed. Likewise in Britain. In many countries the police don't have the tools tgo link murders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates