U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Reputation: 388

Advertisements

Why do you think there is more school and workplace shootings in America than the rest of the world? Not to mention the abundance of serial killers?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Reputation: 6654
I wasn't aware that they were. Do you have a source to cite that per capita there are MORE serial killers in the US then other countries?

Even if you can find a source for that, an argument could be made that they occur in the same amount in all populations but the US has more sophisticated means of detecting them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Reputation: 388
A list of serial killers by country....List of serial killers by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
85% of worlds serial killers in america.....Federal Bureau of Investigation - Freedom of Information Privacy Act (http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/serialkiller.htm - broken link)....
School shootings again america leads the way.... School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia... see the trend here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...place_killings
List of shootings in the school and workplace again guess who has the most????

Last edited by elvislives; 09-30-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,050,556 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Why do you think there is more school and workplace shootings in America than the rest of the world? Not to mention the abundance of serial killers?
Complete ignorance and blatant disregard for mental health issues
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Finland just had a 2nd student massacre within a year.
The killer had posted his intent on the internet and the cops had arrested the killer but because he had not committed the crime at that time they had to let them go.

What Finland and America have in common is that 16 year old children are allowed to buy and carry firearms.
Quote:
KAUHAJOKI, Finland (AP) Finland could face more copycat school shootings, the country's police chief warned Thursday as investigators probed a growing list of eerie similarities between two deadly rampages in less than a year.

Police Commissioner Mikko Paatero told Finnish MTV3 that police would increase their monitoring of YouTube and other Internet sites where the gunmen in both shootings posted clips foreshadowing the attacks.

On Tuesday, 22-year-old Matti Saari killed 10 people before shooting himself in a fiery massacre at his vocational college in western Finland. In November, 18-year-old Pekka-Eric Auvinen fatally shot eight people and himself at his school in southern Finland.

Source:The Associated Press: Finland fears copycat attacks, Sweden arrests teen
Quote:
We will now start the discussion about pistols and revolvers. Is it right that the people can carry those guns at their homes, said Finland Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen. I have only that question on my mind. Is there some relation to all that violence which we can face everyday in TV, movies and the Internet. Does it have some influence, especially on young men, he added.

Police questioned Saari hours before he mowed down class mates, but released him because of lack of evidence.

With nearly 1 in 3 people licensed to own a firearm, Finland has the third highest rate of gun ownership in the world.
Source:euronews | Finland calls for tougher gun laws
Quote:
With 1.65 (m) million firearms in private hands, Finland is an anomaly in Europe, lagging behind only the United States, Yemen and Switzerland in civilian gun ownership, according to the 2007 Small Arms Survey, a Geneva-based watchdog organisation.

After Auvinen's rampage, the government promised to raise the minimum age for buying guns from 15 to 18, but insisted there was no need for sweeping changes to Finland's gun laws.

The age limit was never raised.
Source:Finland Shooting Wrap | APTNvideo.net
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Reputation: 388
16 years olds cannot buy a weapon in america...and they cannot legally carry either...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Swamps of Florida
3,412 posts, read 9,026,162 times
Reputation: 1982
Let's see. We live in a "fast pace, money is everything" society, we have to work to live and not live to work. Parents have to work long hours to support their families, ignoring children education and not providing basic values (some!) Education is poor, teachers have no control over kids in school, no uniforms in school to promote equality. Video games, Junk television, violence, pornography, PG-13 rating will make your skin crawl. Media keeping us brainwashed and a lot of time concentrate on wrong things, glorifying negatives and talking less about positive. Young girls looking up to "idols" of mainstream celebrities without brains. Our society have no values, we can't live together as a family. The farther family away, the more we love them mentality, no culture....... Should i go on?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Let's see. We live in a "fast pace, money is everything" society, we have to work to live and not live to work. Parents have to work long hours to support their families, ignoring children education and not providing basic values (some!) Education is poor, teachers have no control over kids in school, no uniforms in school to promote equality. Video games, Junk television, violence, pornography, PG-13 rating will make your skin crawl. Media keeping us brainwashed and a lot of time concentrate on wrong things, glorifying negatives and talking less about positive. Young girls looking up to "idols" of mainstream celebrities without brains. Our society have no values, we can't live together as a family. The farther family away, the more we love them mentality, no culture....... Should i go on?
Seems about spot on, but the killings have almst reached a competitive level.. you kill 10 i'll kill 15 and the killings have reached a sadistic level never seen by Americans.The media used to feed on this now a school or workplace shooting barely get a 2 second blip..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Reputation: 3848
How about this? We seem to have more serial killers because (1) the improvements in forensic science now allow us to link crimes likely to have been committed by one person; (2) there are fewer unsolved crimes now; (3) we no longer treat serial murder as merely the same crime committed several times, and devote substantial resources towards apprehending and studying serial killers. Most crime historians agree that serial killers always existed -- they just weren't caught, or, even if caught, were not identified as serial killers, in most cases. As for other countries, you have to take into account differences in reporting, classification, and -- again -- success in solving crimes. My grandfather was a violent crimes detectives in the Soviet Union, and he could never discuss cases he had worked on even many years later, because this information was classified; the powers that be reported statistics that they wanted to report.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
How about this? We seem to have more serial killers because (1) the improvements in forensic science now allow us to link crimes likely to have been committed by one person; (2) there are fewer unsolved crimes now; (3) we no longer treat serial murder as merely the same crime committed several times, and devote substantial resources towards apprehending and studying serial killers. Most crime historians agree that serial killers always existed -- they just weren't caught, or, even if caught, were not identified as serial killers, in most cases. As for other countries, you have to take into account differences in reporting, classification, and -- again -- success in solving crimes. My grandfather was a violent crimes detectives in the Soviet Union, and he could never discuss cases he had worked on even many years later, because this information was classified; the powers that be reported statistics that they wanted to report.
Or you can read the stats count the numbers and face the fact that America does in fact lead the world in serial and mass murders.. It looks like to me we can't be number one in a lot of things but when it coms to the sadistic butchering of one another no one does it better than America.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top