U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,031,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Doesn't darker skinned blacks dislike lighter skinned blacks? i believe there was a study done on this little bit of racism in the black community.
Frequently, the lighter skinned blacks are prized. At one time, the "paper bag" test was done at the doors of night clubs, etc. The person's skin was compared against the paper bag. If the skin was darker, access was denied.

It's part of the slave culture that still exists... the one that the anti-racists try to convince the world to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:16 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
because your reasoning is limited to that one dog and that one instance in that particular environment.

i have been treated very unfairly in georgia. by white people. am i to assume that they are all goin to be that way?
should i assume that when i meet a georgian in CA, i should expect them to be just as bigoted as there fellow statesmen? no i would give them the benefit of the doubt. why, because they are not animals and i am not an animal.

comparing animals to people is silly. even if you mean to focus on the pattern of behaviour, they just dont compare. animals cant reason, humans can.

your reasoning should tell you that not all people subscribe to the same behaviour based on skin color, ethnicity or breed

everyone is different. just because some on black has wronged you doesnt mean all black people seek to do the same.

thats silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
If I come in contact with a pit bull, a golden retriever and a rott and the pit bull bites me, the retriever licks me and the rott barks at me, I'm going to, sensibly, fear pits, like retrievers and be cautious of rotts.

Why would I abandon such reason when dealing with people? If my life experience has lead me to conclude that blacks are bad, why would I abandon my natural sense of fear because you tell me I shouldn't be?

(BTW: If you're not aware, lots of pits and rotts are pussycats.)

Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 PM

slave culture? do go on...

Quote:
Frequently, the lighter skinned blacks are prized. At one time, the "paper bag" test was done at the doors of night clubs, etc. The person's skin was compared against the paper bag. If the skin was darker, access was denied.

It's part of the slave culture that still exists... the one that the anti-racists try to convince the world to ignore.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM

636 posts, read 1,219,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
We just all need (different races) to purposely mate with each other for the next 15-20 generations. That will definitely solve any race issues once all people are mixed.

That'll never happen in my family.We were raised not to mix and our kids believe the same...and will keep passin' it down so to speak. Thats one reason we'll never move away from here as most all the folks in the county feel the same way.Every race has the right to survive as the race they are.Schools don't try to cram that ...'' yall mix up '' sorta thing everywhere in the USA ya know.

Thats all I got to say about that so you'll be talking to yourself in responce to this.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
That'll never happen in my family.We were raised not to mix and our kids believe the same...and will keep passin' it down so to speak. Thats one reason we'll never move away from here as most all the folks in the county feel the same way.Every race has the right to survive as the race they are.Schools don't try to cram that ...'' yall mix up '' sorta thing everywhere in the USA ya know.

Thats all I got to say about that so you'll be talking to yourself in responce to this.
scary. but not suprising.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i have been treated very unfairly in georgia. by white people. am i to assume that they are all goin to be that way?
You're to assume what you think is going to be best for you. That's logical.

Quote:
comparing animals to people is silly. even if you mean to focus on the pattern of behaviour, they just dont compare. animals cant reason, humans can.
Yes, but animals learn. Racism is, from what I've seen, learned.

My question is why would we abandon our learning? Because we reason? How does that relate?

Quote:
your reasoning should tell you that not all people subscribe to the same behaviour based on skin color, ethnicity or breed
It does. However, my reasoning also tells me if 4/5 blacks have a sense of entitlement and 3/5 whites have a sense of entitlement that I'd be better off using racist reasoning and looking for people without a sense of entitlement amongst whites.

Name any characteristic you like and give it different frequencies in either race and tell me why you wouldn't use those numbers-- that are consistent with your experience-- to seek out people with that characteristic.

This is why "people don't get it": you have to suspend reason and personal experience to look past race. At this time, I consider it stupid to do so... but I sure wish someone who cries about racism would give a reason why private individuals, if their experience leads them to consider one race more troublesome than the other, should not prefer, for their personal well-being, to interact less with that race.

Quote:
everyone is different. just because some on black has wronged you doesnt mean all black people seek to do the same.

thats silly.
No, that's reasonable and not doing so is irrational.

Quote:
slave culture? do go on...
Read Douglass' "My Bondage and My Freedom".

When reading, ask yourself "what do blacks do to themselves today that slavers did to them in the past? How do blacks perpetuate a self-induced slavery?"

Read that and you'll be sick with sadness... because blacks are still doing it to themselves.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,653 times
Quote:
If I come in contact with a pit bull, a golden retriever and a rott and the pit bull bites me, the retriever licks me and the rott barks at me, I'm going to, sensibly, fear pits, like retrievers and be cautious of rotts.

Why would I abandon such reason when dealing with people? If my life experience has lead me to conclude that blacks are bad, why would I abandon my natural sense of fear because you tell me I shouldn't be?

(BTW: If you're not aware, lots of pits and rotts are pussycats.)

since you decided to use animals have you ever thought about how animals can smell fear in other animals. So maybe if the people around your couldn't't smell the "pussycat" on you you would be fine. Trust and beleive that if you are in the wrong place with the wrong type of people and they smell the "pussycat" on you they would treat you the same.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM

956 posts, read 2,648,897 times
Quote:
this country was built by many peoples ancestors. from all parts of the world. from africa to asia to europe and america.

we all can have a piece of the pie.

so tell me, how are you a 4th class citizen?
Until 1965 this country was 90% European. Why do people keep insisting otherwise?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
since you decided to use animals have you ever thought about how animals can smell fear in other animals. So maybe if the people around your couldn't't smell the "pussycat" on you you would be fine. Trust and beleive that if you are in the wrong place with the wrong type of people and they smell the "pussycat" on you they would treat you the same.
You mean if a black person calling me on the phone for a job interview couldn't hear my fear, he'd speak English in an understandable way? You mean, if black people didn't smell my fear, they wouldn't hoop and holler in the public movie theater? Or, they'd work on regular time rather than CPT?

I grew up around blacks. I'm not afraid of them. I just don't like the mainstream black culture. If all I knew about two people was that one's black the other white, I'd choose the white because I know mainstream black culture... and I choose to avoid it because I like decent people.

Can you explain, reasonably, why that's wrong?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,653 times
Quote:
You mean if a black person calling me on the phone for a job interview couldn't hear my fear, he'd speak English in an understandable way? You mean, if black people didn't smell my fear, they wouldn't hoop and holler in the public movie theater? Or, they'd work on regular time rather than CPT?

I grew up around blacks. I'm not afraid of them. I just don't like the mainstream black culture. If all I knew about two people was that one's black the other white, I'd choose the white because I know mainstream black culture... and I choose to avoid it because I like decent people.

Can you explain, reasonably, why that's wrong?
what types of jobs are they calling for? I think this might have to do with economic class more than anything. If I called you for a job that I was qualified for you would be begging me to come in for a interview, (ell actually I would be hiring you). You can't paint every black person you see with a paintbrush and even say mainstream black culture. Now if you said Lower class black culture I could understand you. Maybe its not your fear. You may have a general misunderstanding of what you really think is black and what is just a bunch of ignorant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates