U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 PM

451 posts, read 1,096,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
You're saying that people should disregard making conclusions based on their personal experience because they'll be happier?

Let me ask you this also: When a foolish young person who doesn't know any better doesn't understand that when you say "racism is bad", you really mean "disregarding your personal experience is good", if something bad happens to that young person, do you have a sense of responsibility for the bad that might have been prevented had you not spoke in such confident tones or are you irresponsible and believe that your opinions that you share have no effect on the world around you?

I'm not speaking about happiness, I'm just saying bitterness. I'm only saying you can't judge all people by the way they look. That would mean that if you saw me you would treat me a certain way. That's not fair to me or to you. I'm also saying that you should always be watchful of those around you. But why you will be busy worrying about black people, that white guy who smiled at you will be taking your wallet.

You are saying that these experiences have come from your personal experiences. Those could be a large number of factors that lead to those. I will agree that's its easier to look at race. But you have yet to speak on educational backgrounds, current economic class, family background and so on. There's more to this world that just race. don't live the rest of your life feeling a certain way about a demographic of America, because you have shown in your comments that you truly don't understand most of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Until 1965 this country was 90% European. Why do people keep insisting otherwise?
I think you missed the point, of the economic impact of slavery, the Chinese building the railroads, and other ethnic groups doing there share of the work. Most people wernt' just allowed to come here and start a new life.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,028,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Total crap..you honestly think a race of people enjoyed being snatched from their country and enslaved in a whole new country are you crazy?
No, but here's the problem: When someone does something so evil to you, you have the obligation to fight. You don't lay on your coward hands and wail that the world isn't right.

Freedom requires that you fight when pushed that far. John Locke in "Second Treatise of Government" explains it. (A book, that as an American, you have no excuse not to have read.) In the "Declaration of Independence", Jefferson says you have the duty to fight when pushed.

You cite Douglass? He's the guy that tells me, in "My Bondage and My Freedom", that blacks were comfortable with slavery. I didn't make it up.

The question is what have you read and what makes you deserving of freedom?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I'm not speaking about happiness, I'm just saying bitterness. I'm only saying you can't judge all people by the way they look.
Responsibility, what's yours? You acknowledge that racism is not morally wrong because morality has nothing to do with happiness or bitterness. So, if your opinions lead to another's pain, aren't you behaving immorally by encouraging people to disregard their personal experiences?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Responsibility, what's yours? You acknowledge that racism is not morally wrong because morality has nothing to do with happiness or bitterness. So, if your opinions lead to another's pain, aren't you behaving immorally by encouraging people to disregard their personal experiences?

Yes I'm doing that. Do I think its immoral? No. I beleive in my vision of sharing my knowledge with the world. Change the world 1 person at a time is my vision. I'm asking all people of the earth to work with each other and to cooperate because we have bigger issues to deal with besides the color of skin.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM

765 posts, read 1,680,363 times
Quote:
No, but here's the problem: When someone does something so evil to you, you have the obligation to fight. You don't lay on your coward hands and wail that the world isn't right.

Freedom requires that you fight when pushed that far. John Locke in "Second Treatise of Government" explains it. (A book, that as an American, you have no excuse not to have read.) In the "Declaration of Independence", Jefferson says you have the duty to fight when pushed.

You cite Douglass? He's the guy that tells me, in "My Bondage and My Freedom", that blacks were comfortable with slavery. I didn't make it up.

In Boston on the night that the proclamation was announced, Douglass wrote of the spirit of those who had gathered with him at the telegraph office to witness slavery's death: "We were waiting and listening as for a bolt from the sky...we were watching...by the dim light of the stars for the dawn of a new day...we were longing for the answer to the agonizing prayers of centuries." The crowds cheered. The end of slavery was in sight. Douglass next turned his attention to the struggle of blacks to be allowed to fight for their freedom. In 1863, Congress authorized black enlistment in the Union army. The Massachusetts 54th Regimate was the first black unit to be formed, and the governor of the state asked Douglass to help in the recruitment. Douglass agreed and wrote an editorial that was published in the local newspapers. "Men of Color, to Arms," he urged blacks to "end in a day the bondage of centuries" and to earn their equality and show their patriotism by fighting in the Union cause. His sons Lewis and Charles were among the first to enlist. Does this sound like a man comfortable with slavery?... your ignorance astounds me.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
Yes I'm doing that. Do I think its immoral? No.
And that's why I don't like mainstream black culture. Just like crying about slavery, the mainstream rejects any sense of responsibility for how they impact the world around them-- both intentionally and unintentionally.

Quote:
Does this sound like a man comfortable with slavery?... your ignorance astounds me.
We're talking about the mainstream not the few great, courageous blacks.

Your people were enslaved for hundreds of years. They outnumbered the whites by massive, massive numbers. They were more powerful from a life of work. More accustomed to pain from abuse. The only thing they lacked is a willingness to fight for freedom... for generation on generation... and you think citing a few example is adequate to reclaim your pride?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:

This
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished. Ratified 12/6/1865. History
1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation means they deserve freedom....

Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
This
[b]Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished...
You see? That's the problem. It doesn't come from a piece of paper. It comes from your personal willingness to do whatever it takes to keep it... and you haven't even read anything of significance to educate yourself in order to keep it. You're sitting on your hands relying on others never violating that piece of paper.

That's the problem.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM

[quote=One Thousand;5525960]And that's why I don't like mainstream black culture. Just like crying about slavery, the mainstream rejects any sense of responsibility for how they impact the world around them-- both intentionally and unintentionally.

We're talking about the mainstream not the few great, courageous blacks.

Your people were enslaved for hundreds of years. They outnumbered the whites by massive, massive numbers. They were more powerful from a life of work. More accustomed to pain from abuse. The only thing they lacked is a willingness to fight for freedom... for generation on generation... and you think citing a few example is adequate to reclaim your pride?[/quote
African American Freedom Fighters: Soldiers for Liberty (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aaffsfl.htm#AMREV - broken link)
black freedom fighters 1 American revolution...
2...Civil War....
African American Freedom Fighters: Soldiers for Liberty (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aaffsfl.htm#CIVIL - broken link)

3...War of 1812.... African American Freedom Fighters: Soldiers for Liberty (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aaffsfl.htm#1812n - broken link)

4..... Mexican American War...... African American Freedom Fighters: Soldiers for Liberty (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aaffsfl.htm#MEXICAN - broken link)

There sure seems to be a lot of black fighting for freedom....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates