U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM

272 posts, read 547,368 times

Advertisements

Back in the 50s and 60s, there was a group of Americans which were referred to as 'coloreds'. Today, they are now 'Black' and 'African-American' -- Both of which are simply misleading.

For years, I questioned why Americans grouped very different people into the same bucket. I often wondered why society wanted to label me as a 'Black' or 'African-American' male. Eventually, I grew tired of the nonsense and became a vocal opponent of race in America.

Today, nothing has changed. You can be fairest skinned human being -- Or the darkest -- And Americans will still call you 'Black'. How did we arrive to a day where we're incapable of citing the obvious? Are the varying skin tones not apparent? The features? If you mixed two colors, would one of the two remain? Of course not. Yet, that's how we identify Americans everyday in this country.

What's even more appalling are the millions of Americans hiding behind the 'Black' and 'White' labels. There are plenty of Italians, Irish, Native Americans, Hispanics and others which comfortably identify with the 'White' label. But what is 'White' and 'Black' anyway? It's a mindset. It's a social design. If we were taught 'real history', we would have learned how today's social model was created. How millions of people assimilated to the status of 'Whiteness' or 'Blackness'.

We've become so brainwashed by this social conditioning that we don't really take the time to think for ourselves. Other ideas, other people and other beliefs make the decisions and distinctions for us. It's so easy to give away independent thought, but so hard to question the validity of what we've been taught.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again: Race is a fallacy. The details are in plain sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
I'm sure you know that not long ago, in America if you had as much as 1/16th African blood, you were considered a Negro. This was the so-called "one-drop" rule. This rule continued throughout the centuries and inclusive of today.

Today, we still refer to ourselves as Black. Yet ironically, most Black Americans have at least 1/16th Caucasian blood. Funny how the "one drop" rule doesn't apply in that direction. Care to guess who enjoys the privilege of using that double standard?

I'm just waiting for the day when Bill Cosby or Clarence Thomas demand to be seen as "white".

To your point, I'll also be glad when race--as a biological construct--is seen as obsolete. To get there, however, we ALL have to participate in the discussion. And sometimes that discussion can be fruitless.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,653,796 times
A big part of this problem is related to the government and marketing firms. Both ask for race information(i.e., census forms, contract proposals, marketing polls, etc.) and this differentiation gets ingrained in society. For the past twenty years, anytime I have been asked what my race is by any government agency or business, I tell them that I am part of the human race and that is all they need to know. I get some interesting responses.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
A big part of this problem is related to the government and marketing firms. Both ask for race information(i.e., census forms, contract proposals, marketing polls, etc.) and this differentiation gets ingrained in society. For the past twenty years, anytime I have been asked what my race is by any government agency or business, I tell them that I am part of the human race and that is all they need to know. I get some interesting responses.
A good argument that life in America breaks down more along cultural lines, than racial or ethnic biology. The color that matters is green; it's how we all--Black, Latino, Asian, Multi-racial, White--go about making that money.

When the demographics within the marketing firms change, so will power and influence.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
at one time in history, bout 50 years ago
a great deal of prejudice and discrimination was shown to italian people.
of course a lot of them were pimping drug dealing and gang banging.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
at one time in history, bout 50 years ago
a great deal of prejudice and discrimination was shown to italian people.
of course a lot of them were pimping drug dealing and gang banging.
True. And even though some Italians still pimp, deal drugs, and gang bang, we all know that it's not indicative of their culture or ethnicity.

Benefit of the doubt is a wonderful thing.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:01 PM

2,663 posts, read 5,884,416 times
We just all need (different races) to purposely mate with each other for the next 15-20 generations. That will definitely solve any race issues once all people are mixed.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
We just all need (different races) to purposely mate with each other for the next 15-20 generations. That will definitely solve any race issues once all people are mixed.
I've already done my part.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM

272 posts, read 547,368 times
I would agree that our government, agencies and the mainstream media are part of the problem. I can only imagine the responses generated by the 'Human' factor. A few years ago, I filled in 'Other' on a form and a woman corrected it with 'Black'.

If I wanted to play the game, then I'd classify myself as 'multi-racial'. Not one race, not even two, but SEVERAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post

Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'm sure you know that not long ago, in America if you had as much as 1/16th African blood, you were considered a Negro. This was the so-called "one-drop" rule. This rule continued throughout the centuries and inclusive of today.

Today, we still refer to ourselves as Black. Yet ironically, most Black Americans have at least 1/16th Caucasian blood. Funny how the "one drop" rule doesn't apply in that direction. Care to guess who enjoys the privilege of using that double standard?

I'm just waiting for the day when Bill Cosby or Clarence Thomas demand to be seen as "white".

To your point, I'll also be glad when race--as a biological construct--is seen as obsolete. To get there, however, we ALL have to participate in the discussion. And sometimes that discussion can be fruitless.
From what I know and suspect about my ancestry, I think I could be considered "negro" by the one-drop BS and yet you'd never know it by looking at me. We have a friend with nephews who are mixed race and she says they both look absolutely white. I cannot agree with you guys more. It'll be nice when our country really can get past all this BS. Like you say, it all has to start with us and these types of discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates