Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The Chinese got "shanghaied" and taken to America as cheap labour for the railroad construction projects. The early Chinese Americans were made fun of and looked down upon. Some of their women were forced to work for brothels.

And someone else posted that only about 5% of the blacks slaves ended up in North America, the rest went to South American countries. Are you just as upset at the South Americans? Or are you just ranting about the US because you've got some whites feeling guilty over the past?

And some point, you have to start looking to the future and to stop dwelling on the past. You are wasting your one life on earth complaining about the wrongs done to your ancestors. And most non-black people in the US don't consider themselves to have any direct ties to those slave owners. So we have nothing to give you in terms of apologies or monetary reparations. And if you want monetary reparations, get in line after the Native Americans. And with the US being trillions in debt, there is nothing to give you. How about you let your god sort this all out on your Judgment Day? And instead try to be a happy and productive person living in the present and for the future.
That 5% is waaaaay inaccurate..... and YOu still dont get it!! Your just lost or dont understand english!! I'm not saying I want reperations!! I'm not saying I want anything from anybody......even though AA's/blacks deserve it for what we been through! Stop justify the reality of the situation. I cant have a "great debate" with someone who is blind!!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Forget it man, she is a hopeless racist who will go out of her way to denigrate black people. A truly lost cause indeed.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Forget it man, she is a hopeless racist who will go out of her way to denigrate black people. A truly lost cause indeed.
Denigrate? I'm saying that he shouldn't weigh himself with the past, and just move forward. AA who think and feel like him are just hurting themselves with their chronic complaining. He is only handicapping himself with that attitude. You'd think with Obama in office, he'd start feeling better about himself. What do you want from the rest of America? Do you think that you deserve some sort of monetary reparation? Some extra special treatment? I hope not, because that's never going to happen. Just be regular Americans like the rest of us. Stop being so emo about the past slavery. Geesh.

Anyway, it's not as if only Americans have had slavery. And other groups have been taken advantage and repressed for thousands of years in the history of civilized mankind. Stop whining about it. The best revenge is living well in spite of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
There is something inherent in the psyche of African Americans that will for ever make them question any success they achieve and this has proven to be a positive force. Of all the, "huddled masses,wretched refuse, homeless and tempest-tossed, the most lowly of them all, the slave, has risen to the highest height. This angst is why we have a president for all practical purposes is black and not Jew, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, or female. There will always be a "what if" factor in any success of an African American.
Newport Granger a slave in Rhode Island became the first black to open a singing school in 1791. A scholar and composer with a regional reputation, Organized and Pastored a Church,and won $2000.00 in the lottery buying and freeing his family. Clearly a charmed life indeed even if he were a white man. These successes did not abate his zeal he longed to return to his native land. There was always the "what if " factor, It can never be answered. Newport traveled back Africa where he died.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Denigrate? I'm saying that he shouldn't weigh himself with the past, and just move forward. AA who think and feel like him are just hurting themselves with their chronic complaining. He is only handicapping himself with that attitude. You'd think with Obama in office, he'd start feeling better about himself. What do you want from the rest of America? Do you think that you deserve some sort of monetary reparation? Some extra special treatment? I hope not, because that's never going to happen. Just be regular Americans like the rest of us. Stop being so emo about the past slavery. Geesh.

Anyway, it's not as if only Americans have had slavery. And other groups have been taken advantage and repressed for thousands of years in the history of civilized mankind. Stop whining about it. The best revenge is living well in spite of the past.

Slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No your handicapping yourself with ignorance!! I'm not whining at all.......I'm simply giving everyone the reality of the situation!! Anytime a black person speaks there minds a non-black person says there whining. You have your own set backs and need to step out of your big ass ignorant box....... Your still justifying the situation!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:

And what's truly annoying is that once they set out to seek such "revenge", people like you always have to chime in to remind them just how bad they're doing.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:

This coming from someone who willingly gives worse service to black customers because they "generally" don't tip well...If living well is the best revenge - with that type of thinking, how can they ever prove it?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Yes, there are a great deal of changes taking shape. More and more black people are embracing high educational achievement, striving for what is high and noble. More are qualifying themselves to join the frey. More are concerned about getting their kids to college. More and more are qualifying themselves to join the corporate ranks not just as team players, but leaders. There are more exceptionally educated, versatile, dynamic, insightful, brilliant black people. They are lawyers, doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, politicians, authors, and public figures. These incredible people are also janitors, street cleaners, cashiers, bus boys, cab drivers, security guards, police and firemen, and paramedics. I just got off the phone yesterday with a friend whose daughter is in law school...at Harvard. She's black and just got an internship with a federal judge during a time when such internships are hard to come by. Talk to her and you will discover a person far removed from hip-hop bunch that you all focus on as being representative of all black people. Yes, there is a great segment among black people that is changing...for the better and in greater numbers. The POTUS is now black. Change for the better no doubt.

Those of you who choose to focus on the worst of the black race have serious problems. Why try to attribute the problems of the lower segment of the black race to the whole? Why such tunnel vision? Every race has a segment that is just as pathetic and collectively they all need to make some changes. Ridiculous here to focus on just one of these segments as representative of black "culture."

I don't believe this lower segment will ever change. There will always be ignorant, underachieving whites, chinese, indians, and yes blacks. But you have to ask yourself why you choose to focus on them, rather than recognize and focus on the other end.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 04-23-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Yes, there are a great deal of changes taking shape. More and more black people are embracing high educational achievement, striving for what is high and noble. More are qualifying themselves to join the frey. More are concerned about getting their kids to college. More and more are qualifying themselves to join the corporate ranks not just as team players, but leaders. There are more exceptionally educated, versatile, dynamic, insightful, brilliant black people. They are lawyers, doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, politicians, authors, and public figures. These incredible people are also janitors, street cleaners, cashiers, bus boys, cab drivers, security guards, police and firemen, and paramedics. I just got off the phone yesterday with a friend whose daughter is in law school...at Harvard. She's black and just got an internship with a federal judge during a time when such internships are hard to come by. Talk to her and you will discover a person far removed from hip-hop bunch that you all focus on as being representative of all black people. Yes, there is a great segment among black people that is changing...for the better and in greater numbers. The POTUS is now black. Change for the better no doubt.

Those of you who choose to focus on the worst of the black race have serious problems. Why try to attribute the problems of the lower segment of the black race to the whole? Why such tunnel vision? Every race has a segment that is just as pathetic and collectively they all need to make some changes. Ridiculous here to focus on just one of these segments as representative of black "culture."

I don't believe this lower segment will ever change. There will always be ignorant, underachieving whites, chinese, indians, and yes blacks. But you have to ask yourself why you choose to focus on them, rather than recognize and focus on the other end.
Thank you!!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

If I seem to focus and comment on the cultural problems because it's the only way to fix a problem is to accept that it exists and try to improve the situation. Of course, there are trash people in every race and ethnicity. And it's not productive to get all butt hurt when someone happens to notice or comment on the "lower segments" of your race or nationality and they aren't of your race.

It seems to me on this board and in real life that the only allowable negative comments can come from those of the same race or nationality.

Trash people are always more visible because of their annoying and obnoxious behaviour. Regular, civilize, more normal people just blend in well with the rest of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates