U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:57 AM

485 posts, read 1,627,866 times

Advertisements

If a Black Artist tries to play towards a general group of people they are told they are being white. I think that is what happened to Witney Houston, she went on drugs after she was told that she was a sell out to her people. She was acting white.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:57 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,551,191 times
WRONG...........I guess you have never gone to a JAZZ concert in which the artist was black.

As far as W.H., I have never heard anyone black say that about her. Many of us are happy that she is in the studio creating new music.

Please stop making stuff up.

Very few white artists play for black audiences. Black artists play for blacks and the same with whites and hispanic artists. You're attemping to make it sound as if white artists play for "all". They don't. They play for their market, just like any other artist.

Again, please stop making stuff up because YOU think it sounds good.

When you say general, why don't you just say WHITE. That's what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
If a Black Artist tries to play towards a general group of people they are told they are being white. I think that is what happened to Witney Houston, she went on drugs after she was told that she was a sell out to her people. She was acting white.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,948,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure this topic will be controversial but I have noticed that back in the 60's and 70's, African Americans did some great things in terms of entertainment. I personally love shows like Good Times, Sanford and Son, etc. These shows were great in terms of quality but also in terms of being truly "American", not strictly for African Americans. In terms of music, the same thing applies to a lot of Motown songs, some incredible music was created by African Americans and these songs were simple, good and they seemed to appeal to the entire American population regardless of race. Lately, it seems like most AA shows have become something that only African Americans appreciate and understand and they tend to emphasize on stereotypes, ignorance and stupidity as if that is something cool. I was listening to a song from the 70's by the Cornelius Brothers called "It is too late to turn back now" and I was amazed that they actually spoke normal English in those times and used proper grammar, the song is amazing and people of all races can relate to it. On the other hand, I was listening to a rap song yesterday by some Soldier Boy and I can't even understand half of what he is saying, the lyrics make absolute no logical sense and he just repeats the same stupid lines 10 times, over and over. Very sad!
I would encourage you to make your concerns known to advertisers, TV execs and network execs. Goodness knows that Black folk have been complaining about this for decades.

And while you're at it, make your concerns known that Black Americans are more than just athletes and entertainers for the masses.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
There is an obvious reason why Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor are different entertainers; Cosby's humour is colourless which causes the white public to be at ease, while Pryor's act are sharp and confrontational but full of truth.
When Pryor was still emulating Cosby he became a huge success, but was unsatisfied with the fact that he only had success because he copied Cosby.
So he basically became depressed because people liked him for being Cosby instead of being himself.
There also is a reason why Richard was very depressed and became addicted to drugs, because the difference between his stage personality and his everyday behaviour is like day & night; on stage Pryor was fearless but in real life he was shy and avoided conflicts.
Until the drugs took over and he became more and more paranoid and tried to commit suicide by setting himself on fire.

Sammy Davis JR. was never truly happy because he couldn't be black.
During WWII when he was in the army Sammy discovered that his father and uncle had always protected him against discrimination & racial prejudice.
And when he married a white Swedish girl his life and career only turned for the worse.

The only cultural change I see is that nowadays a black person can marry a white person without being lynched.
But I still see aggravation when white kids try to emulate black rappers.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,328,951 times
CRon, what's the name of the new Spike Lee movie? Sounds interesting.

I also really agree with Ron on the quality of television in general, especially sitcoms. Sitcoms have gone downhill, and many sitcoms now seem to play to the lowest common denominator of the audiences they target, no matter the race of the actors starring in them, or which audience they try to appeal to. The OP says that sitcoms with black characters today are trashy compared to shows like Sanford and Son or Good Times, but geez, look at some of the sitcoms with white characters today. Compare some of the drivel of today with shows from the '60's and '70's such as Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. (geez, what was with all the shows with the star's name as the name of the show?), and I think you'll see a similar dumbing-down of sitcoms which primarily have white characters.

Something else to consider: This is not so much true with music, but certainly with television it's true that in the '60's, to some degree still in the '70's, it was kind of new and daring to have shows with mainly black casts. Maybe the shows' producers did not want to take a chance on going further and making these shows really "black." Now there is more willingness to do so. Mostly, though, I think that in the case of television there has been a general decline in the quality of sitcoms, no matter the color of the cast or the intended audience.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,551,191 times
Spike's new movie:

Miracle at St. Anna

It's a long movie but it's a good movie. My only problem is it had about 2 or 3 story lines going at once. Some of it can be hard to follow with the subtext, but overall it's a good movie,if you have 2h40mins of free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
CRon, what's the name of the new Spike Lee movie?
Sounds interesting.

I also really agree with Ron on the quality of television in general, especially sitcoms. Sitcoms have gone downhill, and many sitcoms now seem to play to the lowest common denominator of the audiences they target, no matter the race of the actors starring in them, or which audience they try to appeal to. The OP says that sitcoms with black characters today are trashy compared to shows like Sanford and Son or Good Times, but geez, look at some of the sitcoms with white characters today. Compare some of the drivel of today with shows from the '60's and '70's such as Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. (geez, what was with all the shows with the star's name as the name of the show?), and I think you'll see a similar dumbing-down of sitcoms which primarily have white characters.

Something else to consider: This is not so much true with music, but certainly with television it's true that in the '60's, to some degree still in the '70's, it was kind of new and daring to have shows with mainly black casts. Maybe the shows' producers did not want to take a chance on going further and making these shows really "black." Now there is more willingness to do so. Mostly, though, I think that in the case of television there has been a general decline in the quality of sitcoms, no matter the color of the cast or the intended audience.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM

2,662 posts, read 5,138,277 times
I definitely agree with some of the posts and views here. My own 02 is that back then (60s, 70s) we had quite a few events of those eras that more or less were infused into the content of the programing at the time. The shows were not only there to entertain, IMO.

My all time favorites were All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Good Times and The Jeffersons. I also enjoyed Maude, but for some odd reason it did not strike me the way Lear's other shows did.

While many can argue that these shows could be considered "black" or "white" on the surface, they definitely addressed the racial and equality issues in a bold and gutsy way that were "off limits" back then. It was "in your face" programming, for lack of a better term. Plus, "PC" was unheard of in those days.

I also believe strongly that technology today is killing creativity to a large degree.

Can any of the above or similar shows be re-made today? NEVER.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 46,929 times
I grew up watching Sanford & Son, Good Times, What's Happening, and The Jefferson's...thanks to Ted Turner. I'm not sure what you guys were watching, but I saw a lot of shucking and jiving on these shows. These shows were targeted at mainstream "White" America and helped strengthen the sterotype of African Americans. They did so in the same way that Andy Griffith, the Dukes of Hazzard, and Deliverance did for rural Hillbilly America.

As for music, the promoters knew that to appeal to a large enough audience, they couldn't alienate the white population. It wasn't until the 80's that African American artists were able to express themselves with their own style of music that wasn't watered down by recording executives.

What we see today on television and in music, is a market in which African Americans can write, direct, perform, and profit from their own creations. The same can be said of Caucasians such as Marilyn Manson, Eminem, or the Dixie Chicks. As long as their is a market to drive it, it will continue to exist.

Did I mention that I'm white from Mississippi? I know about stereotypes!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:38 PM

493 posts, read 612,121 times
It is terrible I agree. All of America is changing into something I don't like, there are no morals or values anymore This transcends racial lines though. You can't find any shows that are about anything or any music that is about anything aside from a select few artists.

The only rapper that makes any sense by the way is "Common" ironically he makes lots of common sense

Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,728,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

I was amazed that they actually spoke normal English in those times and used proper grammar, the song is amazing and people of all races can relate to it.
i all have to say is so...and your wrong blacks have always utilised english in many different ways.

blacks been speaking creoles and gullahs since when...

Quote:
On the other hand, I was listening to a rap song yesterday by some Soldier Boy and I can't even understand half of what he is saying, the lyrics make absolute no logical sense and he just repeats the same stupid lines 10 times, over and over. Very sad!
and this means what? everybody talks like soldier boy he has a country ass accent so what. you arent proving anything but your own ignorance old man. speaking of this music and english the music you was listening too in the 50's or so was called race music and often forbidden by many whites

remember americans speak standard english not proper; what americans cant understand for some reason is that accent makes your words sound differntly. i wonder why cajun isnt seen as improper or ebonics maybe because they are white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or