U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
 
44,602 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
With the exception of Eminem and Teena Marie for example who both do Black music, very few White music artists who are not rappers or r&b singers have a large Black fanbase. Most Black people either only like listening to music performed by artists who racially look like themselves or they only listen to rap/r&b artists regardless of their color hence where Eminem and Teena Marie come in. I bet if you were to do a poll asking Black people on the streets to name just one song by the Ramones for example, the overwhelming majority would not be able to.
I am black and I can name one song by the Ramones: Blitzkrieg Bop. I know it because I played Rock Band on Xbox and I found that song.

 
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
 
6,952 posts, read 8,883,901 times
Reputation: 7809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Also, those shows( black or white) are on TV because that's what people want to see.
That's what the suits in the boardrooms THINK we want to see. Big difference.

I got a new perspective on being culturally Black vs. White in this country in a conversation with a Black woman I know. She complained that other Blacks here in Michigan get on her case because she speaks in standard English and in other ways "isn't Black enough." She wasn't raised with the pressure to be as different from Whites as possible because she's Canadian. In Canada they're a lot less freaked out on the subject than we are here. Just having the skin color means you're Black there, go figure! You aren't also required to speak Black English and listen to Queen Latifah.

It's bizarre to me that the more US Blacks try to distinguish themselves from Whites and "not be Toms," the more they conform to the ethnic stereotypes that give racist dinkweeds all the ammunition they want to treat their neighbors as a lower species.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM
 
8,812 posts, read 9,628,984 times
Reputation: 6695
A grass root method of changing TV and radio is to patronized advertisers who support programming we feel is up to our standard. If we find somthing we dont like , don't boycott the show ,watch it and boycott the advertisers.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 08:53 AM
 
44,602 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
That's what the suits in the boardrooms THINK we want to see. Big difference.

I got a new perspective on being culturally Black vs. White in this country in a conversation with a Black woman I know. She complained that other Blacks here in Michigan get on her case because she speaks in standard English and in other ways "isn't Black enough." She wasn't raised with the pressure to be as different from Whites as possible because she's Canadian. In Canada they're a lot less freaked out on the subject than we are here. Just having the skin color means you're Black there, go figure! You aren't also required to speak Black English and listen to Queen Latifah.

It's bizarre to me that the more US Blacks try to distinguish themselves from Whites and "not be Toms," the more they conform to the ethnic stereotypes that give racist dinkweeds all the ammunition they want to treat their neighbors as a lower species.
I have a perspective on this. It isn't just blacks that can be hard on blacks who don't live up the stereotype of "being black enough". I speak from personal experience that there are some white people out there who can be hard on blacks for not "living up to the stereotype". I had a talk with a few friends about this. One of my friends told me that some of the students(college students strangely enough) made fun of me for not being "black enough" because they didn't know how to deal with a black person who came off as intellectual and "nerdy". His solution was to just be myself and not worry about them. I figured that I left that crap behind in high school. I can speak of this because I am one of those black persons who are not considered "black enough" by some persons. Sometimes NOT living up to the stereotypes doesn't always work. If certain persons don't have any "ammunition" to treat someone badly, they will pick at other things.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
 
365 posts, read 1,024,080 times
Reputation: 173
[quote=Cliffie;8224449]

I got a new perspective on being culturally Black vs. White in this country in a conversation with a Black woman I know. She complained that other Blacks here in Michigan get on her case because she speaks in standard English and in other ways "isn't Black enough." She wasn't raised with the pressure to be as different from Whites as possible because she's Canadian. In Canada they're a lot less freaked out on the subject than we are here. Just having the skin color means you're Black there, go figure! You aren't also required to speak Black English and listen to Queen Latifah.
quote]

To be fair, there are many different historical/social considerations between the Black community in America and Canada.
I do agree there is a lot less tension in Canada (overall) than in the states. Race is an obsession down there IMO.
As for vernacular english - trust me; its spoken by people (all colours) up here too. More of a Jamacian 'patwa' influence. 'Seen.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh but I'm ready to relocate......
727 posts, read 1,651,396 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure this topic will be controversial but I have noticed that back in the 60's and 70's, African Americans did some great things in terms of entertainment. I personally love shows like Good Times, Sanford and Son, etc. These shows were great in terms of quality but also in terms of being truly "American", not strictly for African Americans. In terms of music, the same thing applies to a lot of Motown songs, some incredible music was created by African Americans and these songs were simple, good and they seemed to appeal to the entire American population regardless of race. Lately, it seems like most AA shows have become something that only African Americans appreciate and understand and they tend to emphasize on stereotypes, ignorance and stupidity as if that is something cool. I was listening to a song from the 70's by the Cornelius Brothers called "It is too late to turn back now" and I was amazed that they actually spoke normal English in those times and used proper grammar, the song is amazing and people of all races can relate to it. On the other hand, I was listening to a rap song yesterday by some Soldier Boy and I can't even understand half of what he is saying, the lyrics make absolute no logical sense and he just repeats the same stupid lines 10 times, over and over. Very sad!
Dont watch AA/Black shows then!! We are allowed to speak any way we want to. White people arent the end all be all of the english language. You dont like it dont watch it!! You say you liked Good times and Sanford and Son well they spoke far from perfect language on those shows. It seems to me that you have that old "Master" mentality. Its not your place to say whats proper or not for a race when your not of that race!!
 
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh but I'm ready to relocate......
727 posts, read 1,651,396 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
"For the record if you are a U.S citizen or a resident you share the same U.S culture. There is no sperate culture for blacks/whites/etc... Within that culture people do things different according to background and exposure."

I have to disagree! I am not exactly "White", I am Portuguese/Italian but culturally I am probably White. Although I cannot categorize every single member of any given race, many African Americans follow their own culture and do not know much about and/or refuse to accept or embrace "mainstream" American culture. I have met very few African Americans who even know who Jimi Hendrix was, or even Charlie Pride, two of the greatest African American musical minds of all times in my opinion! Another example, I remember an African American family at the Family Feud show and they did not know anything about music outside of African American music. There was a question about singers, and I think names like Paul Simon, Phil Collins and Christopher Cross came up, they did not even know who they were.
Your so so ignorant!!! You have no idea what AA/blacks like or do not like. I grew up listening to Phil Collins,Paul Simon,Aerosmith,Rolling Stones and I also grew up listening to Earth,wind and fire,Prince,James Brown,Temptations etc. For the record just because AA's or Blacks don't listen to music by another race doesnt make them uncultured. You have a "Master" mindset!! Black people dont have to do what you want them to do or live by your standards!! GROW UP and get rid of the "master" mentality
 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
 
6,952 posts, read 8,883,901 times
Reputation: 7809
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have a perspective on this. It isn't just blacks that can be hard on blacks who don't live up the stereotype of "being black enough". I speak from personal experience that there are some white people out there who can be hard on blacks for not "living up to the stereotype". I had a talk with a few friends about this. One of my friends told me that some of the students(college students strangely enough) made fun of me for not being "black enough" because they didn't know how to deal with a black person who came off as intellectual and "nerdy". His solution was to just be myself and not worry about them. I figured that I left that crap behind in high school. I can speak of this because I am one of those black persons who are not considered "black enough" by some persons. Sometimes NOT living up to the stereotypes doesn't always work. If certain persons don't have any "ammunition" to treat someone badly, they will pick at other things.
Where do they all come from, lafitte? Sometimes I think people would rather burst into flames than go without being able to fit everyone into a neat little box.

I would expect college students to be worse than average in this respect. They were unbelievably judgemental when I was in college, always scoping to see if anyone was being racist or sexist or whatever. Favorite example: "I said once in front of a college student that somebody was "so full of crap his eyes are brown." She gave me a wounded look and accused me of being racist, because I believe that all people with brown eyes are full of crap. That sort of sums up my college experience. The students will just make up any crazy thing so they can accuse you of not measuring up to their high moral standards.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
 
44,602 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Where do they all come from, lafitte? Sometimes I think people would rather burst into flames than go without being able to fit everyone into a neat little box.
I would expect college students to be worse than average in this respect. They were unbelievably judgemental when I was in college, always scoping to see if anyone was being racist or sexist or whatever. Favorite example: "I said once in front of a college student that somebody was "so full of crap his eyes are brown." She gave me a wounded look and accused me of being racist, because I believe that all people with brown eyes are full of crap. That sort of sums up my college experience. The students will just make up any crazy thing so they can accuse you of not measuring up to their high moral standards.
The students who gave me problems were all from Georgia, born and raised, the suburbs/exurbs of metropolitan Atlanta. The person who gave me a good piece of advice was originally from California. The college in the suburbs of metro Atlanta.

As for expecting such comments in college, I guess I was green. I expected better because I was told that because it was academia, students were expected to act in a somewhat civilized manner. I expected the same thing. I learned a thing or two about college.
 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
 
44,602 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
shucking & jiving is not solely a black thing:

I love Lucy
Gilligans Island
I Dream of Jeannie
all shows full of buffonery as well
That is true. Buffoonery is all over. The reason many people become worried when it's in shows featuring African-Americans is because of this: African-Americans make up about 13% of the USA population. Whites make up about 70% of the population in the USA. Blacks are in the minority and many whites do not have much(or sometimes no contact) with blacks through anything other than the TV. Not only that, it has a historical precedent. Blacks in this nation been portrayed as buffoons for ages. Think about Blackface and other minstrels. There were no other portrayals other than that for a long time. If there isn't a relatively large number of a certain ethnic group and the only portrayal you see is of a certain stereotype, that stereotype can be perpetuated into the minds of other people who may otherwise never have contact with persons of that particular ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top