Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
It's not defense it's debate isn't that why we come to the great DEBATES forum?
Yes of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
At least Billie Holiday and her listeners didn't get sent to death camps or did they?
I doubt people were sent to the camps because they had her records but they may have been. During Kristalnacht there were several fires being fueled by banned records and books but I have never heard if being in possession of one could send one to a camp. Good question. Something new for me to research

Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I also heard a lot of homosexuals in germany were never captured and sent to death camps.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Not defending it by any means, but his reign was gradual and seemed like the next logical step to the Germans. Their economy was bust and Hitler knew what to say and how to say it.He was going to "save" them. He even had Leni Reifenstahl film the most amazing propaganda movies of all time to drive his points home to the German people. He knew what he was doing and he did it well.
Triumph of will the greatest propaganda fim ever devised. I have watched it and was amazed at the whole production .

Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Does it have subtitles? Be honest.

Quote:
Triumph of will the greatest propaganda fim ever devised. I have watched it and was amazed at the whole production .

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Riefenstahl was an amazing filmmaker. She was actually able to have a decent career after her association with Hitler. Surprising.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Does it have subtitles? Be honest.
Yep sure did

Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Come on are you Americans truly trying to pin the deathcamps on lil ol' Hitler?
He got the ideas from America and your Indian reservations* and S. Africa and their townships**.
The only difference is the mortality rate.
You could even argue that the Americans and the S. Africans are crueler than the Nazis by killing their victims very slowly.
See my post:http://www.city-data.com/forum/2473530-post15.html

Quote:
*In 1851, the United States Congress passed the Indian Appropriations Act which authorized the creation of Indian reservations in modern day Oklahoma. Relations between settlers and natives had grown increasingly worse as the settlers encroached on territory and natural resources in the West.

President Ulysses S. Grant pursued a stated "Peace Policy" as a possible solution to the conflict. The policy included a reorganization of the Indian Service, with the goal of relocating various tribes from their ancestral homes to parcels of lands established specifically for their inhabitation. The policy called for the replacement of government officials by religious men, nominated by churches, to oversee the Indian agencies on reservations in order to teach Christianity to the native tribes. The Quakers were especially active in this policy on reservations. The "civilization" policy was aimed at eventually preparing the tribes for citizenship.

In many cases the lands granted to tribes were hostile to agricultural cultivation, leaving many tribes who accepted the policy in a state bordering on starvation.

Reservation treaties sometimes included stipend agreements, in which the federal government would grant a certain amount of goods to a tribe yearly. The implementation of the policy was erratic, however, and in many cases the stipend goods were not delivered.

Source: Indian reservation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

** In South Africa, the term township usually refers to the (often underdeveloped) urban living areas that, under Apartheid, were reserved for non-whites (principally black Africans and Coloureds, but also working class Indians). Townships were usually built on the periphery of towns and cities.

Source: Township (South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Come on are you Americans truly trying to pin the deathcamps on lil ol' Hitler?
He got the ideas from America and your Indian reservations* and S. Africa and their townships**.
The only difference is the mortality rate.
You could even argue that the Americans and the S. Africans are crueler than the Nazis by killing their victims very slowly.
See my post:http://www.city-data.com/forum/2473530-post15.html
until the gas 6 million i disagree.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 PM

There will always be genocide, but Hitlers approach was more organized than any other rulers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates