Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this in class today. I think that tardy students should be penalized, because I don't think it's too good of an idea to reward people for things they should already do. Also, if you get rewarded for things you should already be doing, you'll eventually expect to get rewarded for doing things you should already be doing, such as helping others and doing well in school.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
There should be both. Rewards for coming on time and for attendance. Penalties after being tardy 2 or more times. The students must know of the rewards and penalty systems before the system is enforced. That way it works and it is fair.

I had a business management professor do this. It was great getting rewards for being on time. There was usually high attendance and people were on time too. The professor was also a very good lecturer and talked about interesting topics.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I was thinking about this in class today. I think that tardy students should be penalized, because I don't think it's too good of an idea to reward people for things they should already do. Also, if you get rewarded for things you should already be doing, you'll eventually expect to get rewarded for doing things you should already be doing, such as helping others and doing well in school.

What do you think?
I think that when students are consitently tardy, there is an underlying problem that should be addressed, before any system of "punishement" is implemented. It is in EVERYONES best interest to see that are young people are well educated!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Agreed I was always absent and tardy from college classes where the professor was irritating or provided useless lectures.....I just hated being there in the class too....often times the students would imitate the professor's arrogant and bad attitude and become anti-social and argumentative and selfish....I was like ugh...why me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I think that when students are consitently tardy, there is an underlying problem that should be addressed, before any system of "punishement" is implemented. It is in EVERYONES best interest to see that are young people are well educated!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

What do you think?
Neither. Every place I've worked gives you the first 15 minutes for free. It's anything LONGER than that they get upset about.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:38 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I think the reward for being to class on time is learning the importance to being a person who shows up at their future employment on time. It is a sign of responsibility, respect and maturity. People who always get to class late will be the same people who always show up to work late and will eventually either lose their job or never get promoted.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I usually show up a few minutes early...

but everything's done on the quarter hour. So, no reward for showing up early.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
No reward - the rewards are the good grade you get for having been there to catch the entire class, and the responsibility you're developing that well serve you well later. ("Take this, brother, may it serve you well.")

Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Since I teach high school, any student who has an unexcused late loses the same number of points for the minutes they are late to class. I rarely have a late student. I have a graded assignment every day, and if a student is 5 minutes late, their graded assignment starts at a 95.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
I think tardy should be penalized.
Kids cant grow up expecting to be rewarded for doing things they are supposed to do.

Being on time is important. Classes should give quizzes or whatever in the first 5 minutes of class.
It'll make the student realize the importance of being on time, and instead of being "rewarded", they realize the benefit of being punctual. They got their points, and didn't miss out on a grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates