U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,899,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
It seems to me that decades ago home ownership in the United States used to be a reward. It was a goal that you reached after many years of hard work. These days it appears that Americans think that just because they have a job they should be able to own a home. Do you think that society has changed this way? Have Americans become more self-entitled and are they now expecting a more comfortable way of life than ever before?
I believe that homeownership is one of the rewards that comes from a certain number of years of hard work, responsible living, and sensible planning. Except of course for those lucky ones who happen to win a Lottery.

It's true that because of certain facets of our economy, it has become much harder now for people to reach that goal of home ownership than it was for my parents who bought their home as newlyweds (under the GI Bill) in the 1940s.

In no way do I think that home ownership is a 'right' (meaning an entitlement) although apparantly more and more people have begun to think that way in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 03:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
It seems to me that decades ago home ownership in the United States used to be a reward. It was a goal that you reached after many years of hard work. These days it appears that Americans think that just because they have a job they should be able to own a home. Do you think that society has changed this way? Have Americans become more self-entitled and are they now expecting a more comfortable way of life than ever before?
It seems to me that decades ago, home buying was simple because home values were not inflated. Thus, after working hard and saving--back in the days when people actually had cash to save--men could put on a suit and tie, walk or drive down to the bank and visit Frank the loan officer. Frank would verify income and cash on hand, evaluate any other collateral, talk to personal references, and--if you looked right--he would grant the mortgage loan. There was a credit rating process, but it was so secret that no one really knew what their credit scores were.

Over the decades, though, home ownership became more complicated in part because many Americans won their legal rights to buy and own a home.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM

18,014 posts, read 13,243,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm sorry but - I have to reply to the comment you made above

There is NO requirement, in any state, that a child attend at least 12 years of school -

There is NO requirement, in any state, that a child has to complete Grade School, let alone High School.

I just had to comment -
Well, do some research before you comment and look silly.

Education is compulsory in Ohio until age 16, at which time you can bail if you have a job and with parental consent.

Numerous states have similar laws.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, do some research before you comment and look silly.

Education is compulsory in Ohio until age 16, at which time you can bail if you have a job and with parental consent.

Numerous states have similar laws.
I agree with the 16 - but, if you re-read my post, I said there is no state law ANYWHERE that requires a child to GRADUATE from grade school or high school - and I stand by that

I have seen 16 year olds still in grade school - then, drop out

In Arizona and many other states, once a child attains 16, they do not need parental consent to drop out - with or without a job

"compulsory education"? Whats that mean - seriously - if a child cannot pass the necessary subjects - do they repeat the class - over, and over, and over ???

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,074,420 times
Home ownership is a earned privilege.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Owning a home is a necessity, just like breathing air and eating food.
If you do not own a home why fight (or do anything else for that matter) for a nation who clearly does not provide for you?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM

"Owning" a home is NOT a "necessity". It certainly is a fantastic goal.

Shelter is a "necessity" - and there are various ways to fulfill that necessity.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Shelter is a "necessity"
And you do not consider shelter a home?
Again the problem here is possession.

The problem is that if a government lets its citizens fend for itself (read: if the government favours the free market economy) the majority of the citizens (read: the poor) will neglect the government and maybe even the nation.
Only if a government/nation is willing to take care of all of its citizens will the citizens take care of the nation.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
And you do not consider shelter a home?
Again the problem here is possession.

The problem is that if a government lets its citizens fend for itself (read: the free market economy) the majority of the citizens will neglect the government and maybe even the nation.

Only if a government/nation is willing to take care of all of its citizens will the citizens take care of the nation.
Clearly, you do not understand the concept of private property ownership in the United States. Because someone desires shelter, does not mean they have to purchase their home to obtain that shelter.

Rental properties span the spectrum of types: Apartments, Condominiums, Townhouses, Single Family Residential.

Apartments are not for sale. They are rentals. A significant number of Americans - 10 to 12%, do not want to "own" their home - they do not want the responsibilities of home ownership.

Our Government is not responsible to provide our citizens homes - yes, there are certain programs for the very needy that provides assistance to off set housing costs. But, generally speaking, the individual makes their own decisions where they want to live - how much they want to spend - how big, or how small their residence will be.

They decide where they want to live - large cities, small towns, or, as in my situation, in a rural area away from cities.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Clearly, you do not understand the concept of private property ownership in the United States.
I do understand it, I just don't give a damn.
If a government gives you a house the government just doesn’t give you a place to live it also gives you stability and a place to fight for.
So a government who would give me a house for free is actually trusting me to be a valuable community member.
Governments who do not (or cannot) provide for its citizens do not inspire their citizens to trust them, which only results in instability.

Luckily the Dutch government doesn't require its citizens to be as greedy as possible because they don't act on the assumption/philosophy that greed can only be good for the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or