Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:38 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Exactly, WHO pays the cost of maintenance for a major problem? The OWNER. When I've had cars, it was cheaper to replace them than to repair them.
Wow so you just cut a $30,000 check just like that??? Man must be nice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Wow so you just cut a $30,000 check just like that??? Man must be nice..
I've never bought a $30,000 car.

Try $300.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Topic Reminder:

Is owning a home a reward or a right?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
I beleive that owning a home is the reward of hard work. Saving up for the down payment and appreciating what you've worked hard for. The "right" is being given an equal opportunity to work hard to earn that dream.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
I beleive that owning a home is the reward of hard work. Saving up for the down payment and appreciating what you've worked hard for. The "right" is being given an equal opportunity to work hard to earn that dream.
Even then you don't necessarily deserve what many people have come to expect. An assembly line worker shouldn't expect a mansion, and we as a population shouldn't expect much more than our grandparents had.

We don't need 2500+ square feet and four bathrooms, and people can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that by buying half as much house they can pay it off 4 times as fast because they won't have compound interest on an extra $100K-$250K working against them.

What ever happened to people buying little starter houses, paying them off, and then saving some money to trade up?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I'd argue to own a home is a right but not an entitlement. In other words, you have a right to own one but you are not necessarily entitled to get one simply for existing. I'd argue the various rules and regulations meant to give corporations (municipalities are corporations) a monopoly/stranglehold on things (through building codes, permits, property taxes, requiring people hook up to their utilities, etc.) infringe on that right and should be done away with to make it possible for any person who works and is capable of handling their money to build his/her own home any way he/she sees fit. I'm against credit as a rule of thumb. Build as you can afford to do so. Can't afford to build a 3 bedroom house right now? Build what you can afford to, add on as you can afford to, debt free. Instant gratification cheapens things anyways.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
good point. 3 groups,
the entitlement people
the rewards group
the rewards & punishment group

you dont hear much from the rewards/punishment group any more.
just once in awhile.
but you will again very very soon.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Even then you don't necessarily deserve what many people have come to expect. An assembly line worker shouldn't expect a mansion, and we as a population shouldn't expect much more than our grandparents had.

We don't need 2500+ square feet and four bathrooms, and people can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that by buying half as much house they can pay it off 4 times as fast because they won't have compound interest on an extra $100K-$250K working against them.

What ever happened to people buying little starter houses, paying them off, and then saving some money to trade up?

I agree with you. People should live within their means. Our society is way too hung up on having the best of everything. Hence the reason we are in such a poor economic state.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:58 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Everybody should have the right to own a home. Whether or not they can is up to them as far as their ability to pay for it and to finance it. A poor person can find a place to live and with section 8 assistance it is sometimes a pretty nice place. Others may get stuck in a slum or in the sticks if they can't afford better. Property taxes are also a major factor in people not being able to afford to live in their homes. Are Obama or McCain promising to cut property taxes? Thats more of a local and state issue.
In southeastern Pa my county is spearheading a movement to abolish the property tax and replace it with a sales and income tax but are meetingt fierce opposition from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh area lawmakers.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
We don't need 2500+ square feet and four bathrooms,
We may not "need" - but we can "want". And, if I can afford it, I should be able to have what I "want". My home, for my wife and myself and our foster daughter, is about 5,000 sq.ft. We will be adding to it within the next 12 months.

Could we "do" with less? Probably. But, we don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates