U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,191,691 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that decades ago home ownership in the United States used to be a reward. It was a goal that you reached after many years of hard work. These days it appears that Americans think that just because they have a job they should be able to own a home. Do you think that society has changed this way? Have Americans become more self-entitled and are they now expecting a more comfortable way of life than ever before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
It seems to me that decades ago home ownership in the United States used to be a reward. It was a goal that you reached after many years of hard work. These days it appears that Americans think that just because they have a job they should be able to own a home. Do you think that society has changed this way? Have Americans become more self-entitled and are they now expecting a more comfortable way of life than ever before?

Hi,

No .. a home should definately come after hardwork

However.. with inflation of everything.. hard work no longer guarantees that you'll get a house.. My generation has been working and working and home ownership is still either just out of our reach, or when we reached for it, as I did, we had to overreach and despite saving and working for the home, it's gone anyway to unaffordability.

Although this economy has been a diasaster and I have lost my home, I hope that when I rebuild my savings and try again that home prices will atleast be within reach, or I won't have to live on noodles to afford the roof over my head.

Sometimes it feels as if my generation were lied to. Hard work does not always reward as it used to!!! Hard work does not guarantee that you'll own a home, that you'll have finanical security..etc. It's getting harder and harder for the middle class to stay middle class and give their children atleast the same if not better.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

451 posts, read 1,096,666 times
There is plenty of resources available on this planet. Everyone should be able to have there own home. I use to believe differently, but as I get older, I realize that we are taught that we should do certain things to achieve certain goals. Every Human on the planet has a right to a roof over there head.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,543,187 times
Neither a right nor a privledge. . . a goal to be achieved, if it is one that you value (mine has been "paid in full" for over 10 years now), and yes, it was important to ME; I do not, however, subscribe to the idea that everyone values an owned home in the way that I do. Many may wish to avoid hassles with maintenace issues by "renting", and others are happy to live communally. . . to each his own.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
There is plenty of resources available on this planet. Everyone should be able to have there own home. I use to believe differently, but as I get older, I realize that we are taught that we should do certain things to achieve certain goals. Every Human on the planet has a right to a roof over there head.

Excellent point.. I think he was more referring to "ownership" as opposed to simply havign a roof over ones head "renting".

I'm now going back to renting and it sucks. I'm renting a beautiful old farmhouse that I fell in love with despite the fact that it is OLD and in need of work, but I hope to someday buy it from the landlord when he's ready to sell. The thing that kills about NOT owning a home, is for me my home is my safe haven and in a rental I just don't feel that way. This is from someone that grew up in my parents home that they owned for over 20 years of my life. It's not the material possession we all strive to have, but it's that sense of "security" that I long for in owning a home. I just feel that if I work hard, I should be able to have that!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Everyone SHOULD be able to have (have, being the operative word) their own home, but not everyone will be able to OWN it! Sorry--but not everyone is equal--we have equal opportunities, but not everyone has the drive, or the skill to be homeowners.

We have become a country of "feel good" people--everyone has to get a trophy when they're little, no one is allowed to fail.....and this is what happens--everyone feels "entitled" to more than they can achieve on their own.

So, NO--you should not just be GIVEN a home...you must work for it, and pay the associated bills that come along with home ownership.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,191,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Everyone SHOULD be able to have (have, being the operative word) their own home, but not everyone will be able to OWN it! Sorry--but not everyone is equal--we have equal opportunities, but not everyone has the drive, or the skill to be homeowners.

We have become a country of "feel good" people--everyone has to get a trophy when they're little, no one is allowed to fail.....and this is what happens--everyone feels "entitled" to more than they can achieve on their own.

So, NO--you should not just be GIVEN a home...you must work for it, and pay the associated bills that come along with home ownership.
I agree 100%. The "American Dream" has become something many people in this country think they should be given rather than earned. It's called a "dream" because it is something you aspire to.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I agree 100%. The "American Dream" has become something many people in this country think they should be given rather than earned. It's called a "dream" because it is something you aspire to.

Again.. I dont think that it's something people feel they should be "given" . I certainly didn't feel that way.. I felt that if I worked hard, which I do, I should be able to purchase that home..but it still remains out of reach for many hardworking people.

Hopefully home affordability will be more in line with wages again so that we don't feel that DESPITE our hard work, we are getting nowhere!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Home ownership is not a "right".

If you want it, then you have access to the market ... just like the rest of us who organized our priorities and worked to be able to afford that ownership.

You don't have to have an exceptional income to be a homeowner, but you do need to set your goals consistent with your ability to earn a living and discern what is "needed" and "wanted".

I know that I sacrificed having a lot of "stuff" along the way to be able to afford my home ownership. It seems like so many people "want" to have it all from the get-go .... cars, boats, electronics, fashion clothing, jewelry, and many other "toys" which aren't essential to a realistic financial goal ... and think they're being abused or denied by the financial system if they don't have it all at once. Nothing is further from the truth ... and being given it greatly dilutes the value of having achieved the ownership.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM

878 posts, read 1,846,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
No .. a home should definately come after hardwork

However.. with inflation of everything.. hard work no longer guarantees that you'll get a house.. My generation has been working and working and home ownership is still either just out of our reach, or when we reached for it, as I did, we had to overreach and despite saving and working for the home, it's gone anyway to unaffordability.
I agree generally, except hard work is not enough, and should not be enough, to own a home.

You could be the best burger flipper at your local McDonalds, and you might have to work hard to become the best and stay the best. But that doesn't mean you are entitled to own a home.

Hard work and success are necessary steps to home ownership. Success comes only by making good choices combined with hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or