U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 12,787,781 times

Advertisements

I think it matters more who is in Congress--and right now, we should vote the whole damn bunch out! Then, get some representatives to vote for TERM LIMITS for themselves. Service in Congress was never meant to be a CAREER--and because these folks spend all their time trying to get re-elected, corruption is rife. This HAS to stop!
The president cannot do one thing on his own--it's CONGRESS that makes a mess of things with their special interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,887,559 times
I've always thought of the President as our nations spokesperson. We need someone likeable, someone charismatic, someone who knows foreign policy. If we have a leader that not only Americans will support, but the rest of the world as well don't you think that things will go smoother?

Of course, after that it all really just comes down to your gut feeling about the issues and how that candidate goes along with your feelings. The economy, banking etc. are out of the common mans hand so we need a strong (small....) government to help guide us in the right direction, not to simply tell us what to do. WE'RE supposed to be telling THEM what to do, not vise versa.

Regardless, I'm pro-choice, pro gay-marriage and anti-religion (and that's just to say if I see a candidate that is super religious, they probably won't be getting my vote.)

Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

878 posts, read 1,850,893 times
I think it matters who you vote for, but that the actual face of the party doesn't matter too much. Parties generally have their platforms, candidates are advanced by interest groups, and whichever side wins gets to shape the direction of the country for the next four years.

For example, Barack Obama is being advanced and directed by radicals in his own party who have advocated for the downfall of the United States. His political career was started at the knee of a "domestic" terrorist (not that there's much distinction), and his life has been shaped by radical Anti-Americans.

The real power to shape the country, in my opinion, is the power of the President to appoint judges to the Supreme Court. The next president may get 2 or 3 appointments, whose decisions will likely shape this country for the next 20-30 years. The question for voters, which I haven't seen asked in debates or interviews, is whether they would like more radicals such as Ginsburg on the bench, as opposed to centrists such as Kennedy.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM

517 posts, read 2,246,378 times
I believe it does matter who our next president will be. The President sets the tone and direction on a lot of important issues. The President is also the face of America to foreign nations. A president who is a good negotiator can have a strong impact with respect to treaties and agreements with other nations. If the choice didn't matter then we wouldn't see such vast differences between the presedencies. Yes, Congress and the Supreme Court matter, and we cannot give all the credit or blame to the President but the presidency is still the most powerful office in America and that should not be underestimated.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:42 PM

19,317 posts, read 20,243,677 times
If people were secure in their knowledge of how the government works, and had a better awareness of what they wanted out of life and from others, I would join those who say that the transitory occupant of the presidency is irrelevant. However, I have enough experience with people and with the often surprisingly unenlightened views they express both on this Forum and in other media, to be most often persuaded that the public personality and physical attractiveness and charm of the President do, indeed, color the emotions and perceptions of a substantial segment of the populace to a degree which is both psychologically meaningful and collectively important.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM

11,323 posts, read 16,885,090 times
If it did not matter, then Hoover, LBJ, Nixon and Carter would be ranked with the great Presidents such as Lincoln, FDR, Truman and Jefferson.

Not to say it does not involve a bit of luck. Bill Clinton "gave" us a great economy. Of course he benefited from an IT boom that he had nothing to do with. Reagan "won" the Cold War. Of course he was mostly dealing with the reformer Gorbachav rather than a meglomaniac like Stalin.

But of course an effective manager knows how to recognize and exploit auspicious conditions and opportunities.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,964,339 times
Of course it matters! But everytime the democrats get into office and try to do something right or fix things, the repugs are standing in their way blocking it. So it is hard to accomplish anything. Obama will have a tough road ahead of him. Personally, I would not want the job. In the end is the job really worth it? The Obama's are a nice, typical self accomplished American family and look at what is being done and said about them just in the campaign alone! Not very nice! They have strong family roots and values so they should do ok.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,002,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it matters "who" is president, because each individual is attached to a different group (the party) and who that party is beholden to, who the president will bring in to work with him/her, who the advisers are. I'm not cynical enough to think that it's all the same. For instance, I'd suggest that the Democrats aren't beholden to the extreme so-called "Christian" right as the Repubs are, and that the Dems are more committed to the separation of church and state, if the last eight years are any examples.
It troubles me when people see the national election as a choice of this ONE or that ONE. The candidate is just the song n' dance man, unless he he has some spine. I'd argue that Dick Cheney has been running circles around Bush for eight years now, well beyond the vice presidential turf. Would it make a difference if other people were in those positions? I'd argue yes.
I think ignoring the fact that a whole group comes along with the candidate is a reason why the elections start to seem like "American Idol"- which ONE do you "like" better? Yes, the individual matters, but who he is connected to matters also.
Yes I agree, it matters; especially when the average american looks to leadership in our country, (not that we've seen much recently). We need a leadership figure to "run" this country, if it didn't matter, then we could have a puppet being control by the Senate and Congress...We need and must have "once again" a strong President; whom ultimately makes the best choice for the American people, from military force overseas, to our economy... A comment on our Congress, seems most are chasing a tail...leadership there is something also to be desired...Can we start over across the board?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 AM

18,199 posts, read 16,564,246 times
You have failed leadership run by extremists in both parties. Bush and Cheney will be gone in a few months, but equally inept and corrupt democrats, Reid, Pelosi, Frank, and yes, Obama, will still be there.
You can hate the republicans but they do at least remove their failed leaders, Gingrich and Helms for example. The democrats rally around their worst offenders and promote them.
The only bright side I see to this election will be that it will be the democrats turn to prove( again) how completely incabable of running the country they are, just as the republicans did. Maybe in the next four years, americans will finally wise up and start throwing both parties out and put in independants and third party candidates.
Thats if there's anything left of America in four years.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM

723 posts, read 1,985,622 times
Never used to think it mattered all that much.

I was content with HW Bush and Clinton, but I changed my mind after this current Bushie screwed things up bad. He spent trillions of federal dollars and wasted thousands of lives for his own personal Iraq mission. Then he advocated spying on people, and more people are pissed off at the way things have been going lately, so I think it has mattered greatly in Bush's case.

One thing's for sure, the man that becomes the next POTUS will take credit when the economy improves.

McSame will say something like ------
How about the improving economy, heh? What do you think now, heh? We're doing good, hehhh?

Osama will probably say--------
I said yes we can, and I was right, we got people working, and the stock market is back up again. Yes we can!!!!! Now if you will excuse me, I have to use the can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates