Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times

Advertisements

Ford, GM and Chrysler have all announced a new plan of action in order to collect on their respective government aid. But I'd like to know what has changed?

If I go down to a Ford dealership and try to buy a car tomorrow, what/who will have changed in terms of the buying experience, the negotiation process, the financing, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What exactly do you mean by "buying experience"? You go to any store, you buy something, it's a task not an "experience".

washingtonpost.com
Anyway, here's a link that might give you some information.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What exactly do you mean by "buying experience"? You go to any store, you buy something, it's a task not an "experience".

washingtonpost.com
Anyway, here's a link that might give you some information.
Sorry. Appreciate the Simple Simon-esque approach, but I was going for something a little more in-depth. I'll explain.

Chrysler, for instance, has the most to lose at this point, in terms of short-term viability. It would stand to reason, then, that they would have urged their authorized dealers to abandon the out-dated, out-moded sales stategies of bleeding the buyer for every last red cent rather than adjust their sales practices in accordance with their current financial reality. In other words, remove the excess and bloat from the prices of those cars, slash the prices even more, sell them at max volume and hope for the best possible outcome in terms of revenues.

Each of these carmakers' biggest problem is excess inventory. But when consumers are asked to spend $40,000 for a leather-seated family wagon, it's not hard to see why they can't sell cars.

They can write and re-write all the manufacturing Plans they want. They still have to sell their cars.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
The real problem lies in their cars. Why would anyone buy a ford focus when they could get a vastly superior Japanese car for the same price? Why would anyone buy a Chrysler when they could get an entry-level BMW or a nice VW? The only thing the American companies do well are Pick-Ups and they aren't exactly en vogue these days.

Until Ford, GM and Chrysler can come up with anything decent, they will continue to fail. For 25,000 I can get a Ford Fusion, or I can buy a 3 year old BMW with more features, a bigger engine, and only 35,000 miles at the same price. Or I can buy a brand new Accord, Camry, Prius, Passat or a handful of other cars with better designs and more features. American cars used to be the world's coolest and best, now they are a joke.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Both plans are out there on the net if you're interested in seeing them.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The real problem lies in their cars. Why would anyone buy a ford focus when they could get a vastly superior Japanese car for the same price? Why would anyone buy a Chrysler when they could get an entry-level BMW or a nice VW? The only thing the American companies do well are Pick-Ups and they aren't exactly en vogue these days.

Until Ford, GM and Chrysler can come up with anything decent, they will continue to fail. For 25,000 I can get a Ford Fusion, or I can buy a 3 year old BMW with more features, a bigger engine, and only 35,000 miles at the same price. Or I can buy a brand new Accord, Camry, Prius, Passat or a handful of other cars with better designs and more features. American cars used to be the world's coolest and best, now they are a joke.
In some respects I agree; but not in all.

I agree that our Big Three have a ways to go in terms of earning a reputation for reliability, quality and style. I also think that in some aspects, they have closed the gap with foreign automakers. However, I think the biggest problem right now is that consumers are ready and willing to buy a nice American car (or even a foreign brand that's owned by GM or Ford) but they're not able to swing it financially. The car price bubble--like houses--is eventually going to have to burst. That's the inevitable consequence for overpricing these cars and depending on easy credit to get them sold.

The worst thing that could have happened was for the government to bail them out. Because as it stands, if you go to buy a car, they're still (in great part) the arrogant, pompass, slimy jerks they've always been.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post

Good points, overall.

However, according to both Consumers Reports, JD Power and others, Ford has fully turned the corner reliability-wise and is just a notch (ableit, a good sized notch) below the Japanese vehicles.

I think, though, that all American made vehicles are lumped together and all shall share the same fate.

As for buying an American vehicle, I have always found Ford easy to deal with. In recent years (for myself and negotiated deals for friends) I have purchased both a new Ranger & Focus for $9,999. I have negotiated deals for new F-150's for under $12,000. My new Escape I negotiated to $17,000 (from a $21,000 list). It was fairly easy and they were pretty agreeable to work with me. Others wern't so nice about it.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Ford, GM and Chrysler have all announced a new plan of action in order to collect on their respective government aid. But I'd like to know what has changed?

If I go down to a Ford dealership and try to buy a car tomorrow, what/who will have changed in terms of the buying experience, the negotiation process, the financing, etc?

I can answewr that having recently bought a new vehilcle.Bascially; the dealers are very willing bargain and there are alot of incentives being given. Also low finacing if you have good credit. The the major change is easy credit is gone. That the well qualifed disclaimer in the TV ads.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Default U.S. Automakers - What's Their Plan?

Their plan is the same as it has always been, to make as much money as possible.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Their plan is the same as it has always been, to make as much money as possible.
Amen!

I was reading this article at GM about workers retiring at age 48:

Hey, GM: Can I retire at 48, too? MSN Money

It's all about the money for the unions and higher ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates