Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
We were talking about the "tone" of your posts.
I don't care about the tone of my post.
People will hear the tone they want want to hear anywayz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
People that live good lives and have reasons to live don't blow themselves up or want to die for whatever reason their leaders give them. If you lead a miserable, violent, deprived life, one without education or hope of betterment, then its easy to see that you may strap a bomb onto yourself and try to take out " the enemy".
Thats the same reason so many turn to crime and violence here.
Religion has always been the excuse to go to war, its never the reason. The real reason is economics. You want want the other guy has or he wants what you have so you fight over it. Telling somebody that God is on your side just makes you feel less guilty over the bloodshed.
Communists and nazis were two of the worst practicers of violence and mass genocide and were both very much anti religion and pro state. Communsits are also the worst polluters the planet has ever seen.
Generally most pacifist groups are very religious, I. E. the amish, buddhists.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
People that live good lives and have reasons to live don't blow themselves up or want to die for whatever reason their leaders give them. If you lead a miserable, violent, deprived life, one without education or hope of betterment, then its easy to see that you may strap a bomb onto yourself and try to take out " the enemy".
Thats the same reason so many turn to crime and violence here.
Religion has always been the excuse to go to war, its never the reason. The real reason is economics. You want want the other guy has or he wants what you have so you fight over it. Telling somebody that God is on your side just makes you feel less guilty over the bloodshed.
Communists and nazis were two of the worst practicers of violence and mass genocide and were both very much anti religion and pro state. Communsits are also the worst polluters the planet has ever seen.
Generally most pacifist groups are very religious, I. E. the amish, buddhists.
not to mention most charity groups are religious too. the fact is religion (all kinds) can be used for good. it can unite and and although we may not have the "same god" promote acceptance of other people. in the past christianity was used as the tool to push people into the crusades, but that is in the apst and we look back at it shamefully

right now a similar thing is hapenning with islam. so thats why im bringing attention to it.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday I don't care about the tone of my post.
People will hear the tone they want want to hear anywayz.
We don't see eye to eye politically.....but I always love your spunk!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
99% of the worlds hatred is 100% attributed to religion.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
99% of the worlds hatred is 100% attributed to religion.
really the ethnic violence in africa is religious?? the ethnic violence in sudan right now between the arabs and blacks (arab is not a religion by the way) is religious? the war in iraq (not saying if im for or against) is religious??

does this hold true for past events too?? lets take a look... (ill also give the highest estimated death toll for each if i can find them and a simple "nope" for anyone that was not for religious reasons)

ww1- nope

ww2 (72 million)- nope, plus the jews in the age of enlightenment were looked at as an "inferior race" not religion. the nazis deemed that they had "jewish physical attributes as well as were greedy and such.. thats not a religious trait. plus the war wasnt started for religious reasons..

iraq war- nope

the an shi rebellion (36 million)- nope

mongol conquest (60 million)- nope yet again

nevermind im too lazy. heres a link to a list of numbers. i know its wikipedia, but in this case they sum it up ok

List of wars and disasters by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i know native that you said hate, not wars, but i just wanted to provide examples where "hate" was not religious, and has actually killed more people than wars soo.. your wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates