U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,255,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What if you don't seek the "American Dream"? You want to produce enough to provide food and shelter for yourself, but aren't interested in the rampant materialism or consumerism?
What do you think the "American Dream" is?

to me it is being able to succeed by my own hand. That is what the classic definition of the "American Dream" was. In recent years it has been grossly been twisted to be thought of as having "stuff"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:59 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,522,229 times
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232
Quote:
Personal responsibility IS a real thing, the way I would describe it is that a person takes ownership of their actions.
The problem here is that when it comes to global problems most individuals actually believe that they aren't responsible for these type of global problems.
These people often believe that since they're just 1 person they can't be responsible for how the world (read: human society) works.
It seems to me that modern humanity only wants the choice but not the responsibility of their actions.
This is why Americans believe in the American dream which only is an illusion.
Individuals who want to smoke (insist that they have the right to smoke) automatically affect more people than just themselves, especially when they smoke at home in the vicinity of their children or other people they claim to 'love'.
So there is no responsibility which is only restricted to the individual since we all are responsible for the society we live in and the society we live in is responsible for the world we live in.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,285,245 times
We have no responsibilities to society...particularly if we want no part of society.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
We have no responsibilities to society...particularly if we want no part of society.
What you want and what is are 2 different things.
Besidez, no man is an island.
As I understand it you have a wife or girlfriend who takes care of the economical stuff you don't want to be bothered with, so in essence you are still part of society through her.
But I agree that the degree of involvement with society should be the individualís choice.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

I would prefer to have been born on an uninhabited island.

Unfortunately, that birth was NOT my destiny. Too bad for me. I still have no doubts that I would survive just fine outside society.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
I wouldn't mind that either, although I would prefer that Angelina Jolie or some other fine specimen of the female variety would end up on the same island I was on.

Last edited by Tricky D; 10-27-2008 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,017,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Unfortunately, that birth was NOT my destiny. Too bad for me. I still have no doubts that I would survive just fine outside society.
If it was uninhabited, than pray tell, how could you have been born?????

either this is a dichotomy or an oxymoran...............maybe both

Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM

I wasn't born, I was hatched!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
Quote:
But I agree that the degree of involvement with society should be the individualís choice.
in order to be independent of society, you would actually need to get away from society. i think people are lying to themselves if they think that they can live within society, without being a part of it. if i am buying the goods, paying into the system, receiving any of the benefits, then i am not independent of society. only those that live by themselves (not even small groups), out in the middle of the natural world would be actually independent of society.

but we, as human beings, were bred for society. we thrive in society, not by ourselves. as tricky mentioned earlier, people can't live in isolation very well. in fact, isolation can have biologically fatal effects to a social creature. mankind was meant to be independently dependent; i work, but i do so for society, because i do so for my family. i create and dream, but i do so for society as much as i do so for myself, whether or not that is my actual goal. in order to make those efforts completely independent of society, i would need to get out of society. even if i take just my wife with me, that is society. that is a social contract, and therefore, i am still reliant on someone else.

aaron out.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
but we, as human beings, were bred for society.
I disagree.
We humans are bred for tribal society and not a global society.
Nature has always preferred variation over homogeneity.
Unfortunately our (modern) technology has made us more and more homogenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates