U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,523,427 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
but note that technology was only one of the outside necessities.
Technology is only a means to an end, but once we make technology more important than life (read: Nature) we become artificial instead of staying natural.
Besidez, technology still needs natural resources.
And now we have technology competing with man over natural resources (bio-fuel instead of food).

Quote:
without association, you cease to be human.
Nope, man can survive without association, but mankind can't.
Humanity still needs a male and a female to procreate, but man and women can survive without each other ( although it probably would mean the end of humanity).

Quote:
obviously the food chain is a cycle, but are you truly arguing that mankind is not the most successful, complex creature on the planet?
A cockroach is more successful in surviving than man, because he can survive almost anything.
Who needs complexity if it means that you won't be able to survive?

Quote:
but none of them wrote beethoven's 9th symphony, sent satellites to outer space, or differentiated between the id and the ego.
So what?
Does having done these things mean that humanity is able to survive better than the primitive man?
And even with all these knowledge we still are worse than the Cro-Magnon; no Cro-Magnon is able to destroy humanity, but humanity is so stupid that we're able to wipe ourselves off the face of the Earth with a WMD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,833,758 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by stycotl Technology is only a means to an end, but once we make technology more important than life (read: Nature) we become artificial instead of staying natural.
Besidez, technology still needs natural resources.
And now we have technology competing with man over natural resources (bio-fuel instead of food).
technology is still a means to an end, independent of whether it is being abused in some aspects or not. it always has been; it always will be. but without it, our large brains and opposable thumbs would not be of any benefit. we'd still be on par with chimps and--no scratch that. even chimps use tools, so technology is even working for them. we'd be on par with cows. smart, two-legged cows, but still cows.

Quote:
Nope, man can survive without association, but mankind can't.
Humanity still needs a male and a female to procreate, but man and women can survive without each other ( although it probably would mean the end of humanity).
and that is where you are wrong. have you ever seen the effects of solitary confinement? what about the same effects on any other social animal? parrots? wolves? lions? rats? their life expectancy drops significantly, even without the outside influence of other predators.

Quote:
A cockroach is more successful in surviving than man, because he can survive almost anything.
Who needs complexity if it means that you won't be able to survive?

So what?
Does having done these things mean that humanity is able to survive better than the primitive man?
And even with all these knowledge we still are worse than the Cro-Magnon; no Cro-Magnon is able to destroy humanity, but humanity is so stupid that we're able to wipe ourselves off the face of the Earth with a WMD.
so, cockroaches and chimpanzees will outlive us, assuming that we don't destroy them in our fall as well. but that does nothing to support or challenge our capability of self sufficiency. this is partially my fault since i started on this tangent of the food chain and stuff. we are still, despite the survivability of cockroaches, a social creature reliant on technology.

our social/scientific nature is what has made us humanity, rather than australopithecus. without those two traits, we wouldn't be where we are now. i might even be stretching it, since i would bet that australopithecus was a social tool-user too. but you get the jist of the comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,523,427 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
technology is still a means to an end, independent of whether it is being abused in some aspects or not.
I'm not talking about abuse, I'm talking about putting (modern) technology above humanity (and Nature).
The way I see it modern man is addicted to (modern) technology and like any other addict believes that he can't survive without his addiction.

Quote:
smart, two-legged cows, but still cows.
Modern man, whether he's smart or not, still is a herd animal.
So there isn't much difference between a cow and a man.
Except that cows, unlike mankind, act accordingly with nature.

Quote:
but that does nothing to support or challenge our capability of self sufficiency.
It is a myth that man is self sufficient; he still needs air, water, food and a home.
It still is a fact that man needs nature (his environment) more than the Earth needs mankind.

Quote:
our social/scientific nature is what has made us humanity
Our arrogance is what makes us human.
Unfortunately our pride also blinds us to the fact that the earth has survived without man for a lot of longer than we have existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,833,758 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by stycotl I'm not talking about abuse, I'm talking about putting (modern) technology above humanity (and Nature).
The way I see it modern man is addicted to (modern) technology and like any other addict believes that he can't survive without his addiction.
ok. i think that addiction counts as abuse--in any sense. still not what i was talking about though.

Quote:
Modern man, whether he's smart or not, still is a herd animal.
So there isn't much difference between a cow and a man.
Except that cows, unlike mankind, act accordingly with nature.

It is a myth that man is self sufficient; he still needs air, water, food and a home.
It still is a fact that man needs nature (his environment) more than the Earth needs mankind.
yeah. herd animal. i agree. cows. goats. whatever you want to call us. either way, even goats and cows have their own individual associations. and there is still way more than just being in tune with nature that separates mankind from the bovines of the world.

Quote:
Our arrogance is what makes us human.
Unfortunately our pride also blinds us to the fact that the earth has survived without man for a lot of longer than we have existed.
i'd disagree, mostly because i know some pretty humble people that i am pretty sure are human. i don't think that arrogance is what it takes to be human, and in fact, if you go too far in your arrogance, you seem to lose your humanity.

i don't know too many people that believe that we are keeping the earth alive. i'm pretty sure that most are solidly in the knowledge that the earth will continue on long after we have gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top