U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558

Advertisements

[quote=Tricky D;5902959]Originally Posted by Tin Knocker My family isn't defenceless, at least I'm not defenceless (even) without a gun.[quote]

You contradict yourself. Earlier you said they used guns to their advantage. If they are pointing a gun at you & you are unarmed, you are defensless.

Quote:
I only belittle people who allow themselves to be run by fear, because these are the easiest to manipulate ( by the gun lobby).
You are not very smart. What do you think the gun lobby is? Its influenced by the PEOPLE that want their rights preserved, its not a gov't thing or a secret society. If they lose sight of our best interest donations will dwindle & they will die.

Quote:
I'm not afraid of guns, I'm more afraid of the majority of untrained idiots (especially the youth) packed with heat who think they are better than the trained professionals (read: military & law enforcement).
You speak about things you just dont know. The youth & most criminals in the US are not legal gun owners. Gun control will never matter to them, just as doesn't to your cousins. You are wrong about expertise being mandated in either the military or police forces. Sure there are some experts, but the vast majority train once or twice a year. Theres a reason that cops shoot the wrong guy over 11% of the time yet civilians do that less than 1%.


Quote:
Show me the numbers.
But you already made clear in a previous post that numbers (read: facts) don't mean anything to you.
Show me facts, not controlled partisan statistics. Heres a fact, I know dozens of gun owners, civilian, LEO & military, I train alot more that I never see again. Yet I'v never met a lagal gun owner that hurt an innocent person with a gun, aside from those experts, the police & military.

Quote:
Are you sayin' that the majority of the American gun owners aren't scared?
I thought people only pack heat because they are scared and donít trust the trained professionals.
I see no other reason to carry a gun.
Yup, the majority of gun owners dont even carry guns, another misconception caused by cluelesness. Its not a matter of tructing the police, since I cant carry a cop with me everywhere I go, the best I can hope for is I live & they catch the guy. Police cant prevent crime, gun control cant prevent crime, an aware responsible adult can.

What you see is irrelevant since you refuse to be impartial. Your system works for you, I'm glad, so are your criminals. Its very nice of you to provide a safe place for them to operate.

Quote:
Yup denial is the 1st sign of addiction.
I guess gun lobbyists use the same argument as people who wanna legalize drugs; that the prohibition did not help.
In that case why still enforce the law?
Not quite the same. Drug abuse has incontrovertable bad effects on society. Another difference is guns are not illegal. Another is they save lives. Drugs are more similar to prohabition of alcohol, & yes prohabition, of alcohol & now drugs cost us much more & creates much more crime than it stops. I assume thats why you people legalized it.

Quote:
I have a drug policy?
Actually I do, like Nancy I just say no!
Too bad that the deaths of gun incidents generally are also drug related (turf wars, robberies and other crimes to finance their drug habit).
Good for you, I'm truly happy you dont polute yourself, although it was a good explanation for your refusal to admit the stupidity & uselesness of gun control. Once again, the crimes you speak of are not commited by legal gun owners & even if we banned them totally, just like in your country, criminals would still have guns. There would be less killing but most of the killings prevented would be criminals who now have nothing to fear. Your countries answer was to legalize activities considered criminal almost universally around the world.

Legalizing crime is a funny way to fight it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,253,000 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let's have a DIRECT democracy instead of a representative one.
we are not a representiive democracy. We are a democratic republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Reputation: 10915
which is a representative form of democracy, instead of a direct form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
which is a representative form of democracy, instead of a direct form.
Do you know why a representative democracy was chosen over mob rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Do you know why a representative democracy was chosen over mob rule?
Because those in power wanted to continue to run the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because those in power wanted to continue to run the show.

Nope. Do a little research instead of making a fool of yourself again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Nope. Do a little research instead of making a fool of yourself again.

If I'm so wrong, tell us why ONLY landed gentry could vote at the start?

The people that HAD the power wanted to continue to run things, that's why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I'm so wrong, tell us why ONLY landed gentry could vote at the start?

The people that HAD the power wanted to continue to run things, that's why!

Thats not true. Why did we not have a simple democracy instead of a representative one? Take your meds so you can stay focused.

If we had a simple democracy your landed gentry could have controlled everything forever.

That landed gentry could have made this a Monarchy, the people actually wanted Washington to be King & he refused.

The fact is that with a simple democracy, nothing is sacred & everything is vulnerable. We wouldn't have a constitution, you wouldn't have any rights.
Everything would be up for grabs & grab they would. If you think life in the US sucks now you would hate it if they had not the foresight to establish a system of representative democracy for our Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Reputation: 10915
Without a Constitution, I'd still have rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Earlier you said they used guns to their advantage. If they are pointing a gun at you & you are unarmed, you are defensless.
No I'm not, because my primary weapon (like my family's) is my brain.
People who are armed with a gun are nothing if they aren't able to think on their feet.
So whenever I see someone draw a gun my 1st action will be to duck for cover instead of trying to outdraw them.
A distance weapon becomes completely useless when you can't see your target.

Quote:
Its influenced by the PEOPLE that want their rights preserved, its not a gov't thing or a secret society.
The gun lobby is the epitome of stupidity since it is a direct result of mob 'justice' which has the same results as the public lynching of negroes in the South during the segregation where the hysterical (white) mob is the judge, jury and the executioner.

Quote:
Sure there are some experts, but the vast majority train once or twice a year.
You can't simulate a combat situation on a shooting range, especially when the targets you're shooting at aren't shooting back.
Training your accuracy with a gun on a shooting range relates to reality like masturbation relates to sex.
People who believe that they're battle ready because they train once or twice a year is as 'prepared' as a virgin who prepared himself for his 1st time by only having watched porn.

Quote:
Legalizing crime is a funny way to fight it.
Right, I find legalizing carrying firearms a funny way to combat your nation’s gun problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top