U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,187,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
TKramer,
Trust me, you don't even want to think about going there. Just take a flying trip to some country that does not have a just, strong government in place and if it doesn't scare the pants off of you, you are a stronger person than I am.
Well, that may be sort of the point.

In a system in which it is every person for him or her self, a strong (and reasonably clever) man (or woman, though it is harder I suspect) can go a lot further more easily than in a system that puts checks on application of pure power.

Anarchy is an advantage to opportunists.

For those of us either inclined to protect the ones weaker than we are or weak ourselves, a government - most governments - is better than none.

The irony of it, of course, is that the whole "strong man" approach is how we ended up with government to begin with, and the whole cycle would begin again! But for the first little while, the strong could again prey on the weak with even less fear of reprisals than they have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
Originally Posted by jps-teacher
Quote:
Anarchy is an advantage to opportunists.
Anarchy is only desirable because it promises a (temporary) return to our individual autonomy.
Anarchy should not be about blowing up the current political system, because this is only a revolution and doesn't bring true fundamental change.
Revolutions are always a (blind?) reaction to the current system and what we need is not a revolution but an evolution.
For a true fundamental change to occur we, as a society, have to acknowledge that change is necessary, in the sense that it is: change or die.
And with the many different pending crisis it might well be the case.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times
Default Ahem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think it needs to be scrapped, and the government obliterated. Every man for himself.
Armed or disarmed?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Armed or disarmed?
Disarmed. You don't need a weapon to fend for yourself.

Of course, if people wish to continue to be armed, let me know, and I'll just lay low until you kill each other off.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,573,829 times
Quote:
I was discussing another matter, and the response I was given was, "It's 2008! Get with the times!" And that got me to thinking--even though *I* personally have no problem with tradition and customs--shouldn't we rewrite the Constitution, make that antiquated document fit into the "modern world"?

Do you think we should "get with the times"? Or stick with proven tradition?
It isn't the Constitution that gets us into trouble....it's all the stupid amendments. Most of these are tacked on without our knowledge until they no longer even resemble the original thought. Then it becomes too late and too complicated to fix. We need to go back to the original and keep it simple.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:49 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,744,233 times
Go back to the original? No freedom of speech or religion? No free press? Otherwise, there have been two amendments in the past 40 years. Shouldn't have been that hard to keep track of. One lowered the voting age to 18. The other made pay raises to Congress effective with the succeeding rather than the current Congress. Doesn't seem all that confusing to me...

Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,187,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It isn't the Constitution that gets us into trouble....it's all the stupid amendments. Most of these are tacked on without our knowledge until they no longer even resemble the original thought. Then it becomes too late and too complicated to fix. We need to go back to the original and keep it simple.
Can you give me an example of an amendment to the Constitution that was "tacked on without our knowledge?"

I'm not aware of any, and would like to know what I have missed.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Can you give me an example of an amendment to the Constitution that was "tacked on without our knowledge?"

Thanks!

Pretty much ALL of them, since I wasn't around to vote on any of them.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,573,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post

Thanks!
Thanks....I probably worded it wrong. I was referring to a situation like...the right to bear arms. Not speaking for or against, but look how complicated it has gotten. Each state has their own rules. You can have this kind of gun but not that type. This person qualifies and that person doesn't. You have concealment laws and how many moves until firing laws. The waiting period can vary. And again, I'm not saying these are wrong or right....I'm just saying it is no longer a simple Constitutional statement.
I hope I explained myself.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times
Smile "You're So Vain... I'll bet you think this post is about you..."

Quote:
Disarmed. You don't need a weapon to fend for yourself.
No, YOU don't (apparently) need a weapon to fend for yourself. I am partially disabled, and even though in my youth I took karate, the best I might now be able to do is get in one not very hard punch, breaking a few bones in my hand in the process. After that, the now truly incensed attacker(s) will really do a final job on me. Do you really think it would go otherwise?

Perhaps you just stay in your locked house all the time. I, perhaps being somewhat more confident and self-reliant and loving of life, go out into the real, and unfortunately occasionally violent world to enjoy the geese, the sun, the flowers, and my innocent but vulnerable kids .

Please post the video of you taking on even one bat-wielding attacker with your "love thy neighbour" mindset and nothing else. Gotta see it!

My philosophy?

"Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best"
Sound sensible?

Or, your idea:

"Ignore realities. Denegrate realists. Assume the best".

Last edited by rifleman; 10-23-2008 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates