U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times

Advertisements

It seems as if one of the largest societal dilemmas facing our nation today is the concept of one's sexual orientation and as to whether or not it is inherent to an individual or some sort of learned behavior. Presidential candidates debate this topic. Christian evangelicals debate this. Heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, and every other "-sexual" alike debate this. Why?

I happen to be of the mindset that one's sexual orientation is not consciously chosen, but then again I don't have the science to reinforce my belief, just my 21 years of life experience growing up gay in a predominantly conservative, heterosexual, and upper-middle-class suburb. I can honestly say that if given the "choice" I'd gladly court some nice girl, treat her like royalty, and then start a family with her right here in Scranton. Alas, since so many here have such an unhealthy obsession with "what part goes into what" in regards to my own sex life I am now bidding the city a fond farewell in pursuit of more tolerant pastures in New England.

This isn't meant to be another debate over "choice" or "not a choice." This is meant to pose the question---Why does it honestly matter? If I'm in the middle of two other guys on our college soccer team this evening after watching ***** as Folk by candlelight, then how does that detrimentally impact your life? If I'm sleeping with my neighbor's poodle later, then how does that detrimentally impact your life? If I'm sleeping with two women this evening, what business is that of yours? What about one man and one woman on either side of me? Why is America so gosh darn obsessed with sexual orientations? Are we all just a little bi-curious, or are we all just too nosy for our own good?

The Evangelicals have no logical argument to disapprove of homosexuality anyways, since WE will be the ones to be judged by YOUR God, not you for not "turning us straight."

So, folks, give me an answer. Why do so many feel as if another's sex life is any of their business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
-People don't understand other people not seeing the world the same way they do

and/or

-People hate/fear what they see in themselves, especially if it's not socially accepted.

and/or

-People notice a good number of other people being homophobic, so they figure those people must be onto something, rather than thinking about the issue critically themselves

Those three are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,413,110 times
There is no way that this is the biggest dilemma social or otherwise facing the nation today. This is part of the so called culture war that has been manufactured to keep the American Public occupied while crimes are committed here and around the world in our name. We are busy with this while the real news is completely off the radar. It works wonders and people fall for it. There are places in the U.S. where people care very little about this. Not just in cities either. It is kind of interesting at times. But there is no such thing as a slow news day- especially not now. Not ever actually. There are way too many people feeding into this- that is regardless of their views.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:21 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times
I think many have issues with their own feelings. I think there are 10% pure gay, 10% pure straight and that leaves 80% in the middle with leanings one way or the other but feelings or more in both. makes for lots of confusion and guilt in some.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
I've never thought it mattered--I'll follow my own road, no matter what anyone else does! It's really no one's business, is it?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,096,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
There is no way that this is the biggest dilemma social or otherwise facing the nation today. This is part of the so called culture war that has been manufactured to keep the American Public occupied while crimes are committed here and around the world in our name. We are busy with this while the real news is completely off the radar. It works wonders and people fall for it. There are places in the U.S. where people care very little about this. Not just in cities either. It is kind of interesting at times. But there is no such thing as a slow news day- especially not now. Not ever actually. There are way too many people feeding into this- that is regardless of their views.
So you think most people really wouldn't care as much they do if it weren't for the media trying to distract us all with it? I can see that...to an extent. I'm not sure if it's the whole reason why there's so much drama over it.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,267,054 times
I personally think it flames such a debate, because sexuality comes from such a deep, exciting, yet taught-as-sinful place in people, that it is ridden with issues before becoming an adult. Also, many people who claim to be "hardcore heterosexuals" and may be very religious, have probably had some same-sex curiosity and/or desires at some point in their lives, so this causes a huge amount of private shame/guilt/fear.
Plus you throw religion into the mix, and people just get all bent out of shape, depending on the teachings of their religion, and their own personal experiences.
Sexuality is so personal, and so close to people, and it is something so pleasurable to people, that it just enrages MAJOR emotion in people overall.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM

5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
I personally don't care one bit about a person's sexual orientation. Whatever makes them happy...as long as it consentual. People like to judge other people, wether it is abortion, homosexuality, etc.... makes them feel "superior" in some way I suppose. Life is never black and white and we would should all judge less and listen more.

You know what they say about those that live in glass houses....

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,208,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It seems as if one of the largest societal dilemmas facing our nation today is the concept of one's sexual orientation and as to whether or not it is inherent to an individual or some sort of learned behavior. Presidential candidates debate this topic. Christian evangelicals debate this. Heterosexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, and every other "-sexual" alike debate this. Why?

I happen to be of the mindset that one's sexual orientation is not consciously chosen, but then again I don't have the science to reinforce my belief, just my 21 years of life experience growing up gay in a predominantly conservative, heterosexual, and upper-middle-class suburb. I can honestly say that if given the "choice" I'd gladly court some nice girl, treat her like royalty, and then start a family with her right here in Scranton. Alas, since so many here have such an unhealthy obsession with "what part goes into what" in regards to my own sex life I am now bidding the city a fond farewell in pursuit of more tolerant pastures in New England.

This isn't meant to be another debate over "choice" or "not a choice." This is meant to pose the question---Why does it honestly matter? If I'm in the middle of two other guys on our college soccer team this evening after watching ***** as Folk by candlelight, then how does that detrimentally impact your life? If I'm sleeping with my neighbor's poodle later, then how does that detrimentally impact your life? If I'm sleeping with two women this evening, what business is that of yours? What about one man and one woman on either side of me? Why is America so gosh darn obsessed with sexual orientations? Are we all just a little bi-curious, or are we all just too nosy for our own good?

The Evangelicals have no logical argument to disapprove of homosexuality anyways, since WE will be the ones to be judged by YOUR God, not you for not "turning us straight."

So, folks, give me an answer. Why do so many feel as if another's sex life is any of their business?
I have never understood why anyone cares what goes on in other peoples bedrooms and how they choose to live their lives. Crazy to me...

Old 10-17-2008, 04:43 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,561,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It seems as if one of the largest societal dilemmas facing our nation today is the concept of one's sexual orientation and as to whether or not it is inherent to an individual or some sort of learned behavior.
Who gives a cr@p? If I like Strawberry and someone else likes Vanilla who cares??? Unfortunately a lot of self righteous right wing Kristian Konservative Kooks seem to care. Republican hate mongering convinced enough of them in Ohio & Pennsylvania that if Kerry won gays would eat their precious babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates