U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,425,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Many are very dangerous to live in though. The reason they are are run down is not the people living there it is the landlords who do nothing in keeping the area up kept.

Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
I think that I do know what I am talking about. When I was a college student and afterwards, I lived in the poorer sections of Providence and Cambridge.

The poor people in the ghettos are the ones trashing their sidewalks and buildings. There is no trash on the sidewalks of the streets near my house because none of us throw trash on the ground. We care and know to put our rubbish in a rubbish container. I don't have a roach problem because I secure my food and food rubbish properly. And I've never felt any urges to punch holes in my walls. I know of no one living in a nice apartment or condo building that throws rubbish or pees in their hallways. A landlord should not have to do extra maid service to tenants that are too inconsiderate to behave like responsible adults.

It's expensive to keep a building up properly even without the extra rubbish pickup. And if the landlords kept those apartments up with yearly fresh paint and new appliances, then they'd have to also charge much higher rents. Keeping those places rundown, scares off people from a higher social class renting them. Again, that allows the poor people to stay in those crappy apartments with their cheap rent.

When I was in my 20's, I was lucky to get a rent controlled apartment in Cambridge, MA. It was a shabby building, but I was happy to be able to have a choice in having cheap rent as a trade off for not having a fancy place to live. My apartment building was filled with young people just starting out in life, several impoverished rock musicians and a gypsy family. Once rent control was voted out in a state referendum, all those apartments either turned into expensive condos or rentals. Not one of those units stayed at the rent controlled rates. And that changed the whole character of the city.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
So who should get to go to college/get an education?
Everyone who is motivated to go to college and demonstrates a capacity to pass pre-college course work ought to be admitted. Then the college grading system can be adjusted such that the number who pass and graduate reflects the job market for people with those skills.

That has been the case, to some degree, for quite a long time. When I went to LSU in 1956, they admitted everyone who showed up at the door with the $30 per semester tuition fee and graduating transcripts in the top half of their high school class. About 60-70% failed to make it out of freshman courses with the requisite GPA.

Excellent system, I thought. Everyone had a chance, and those who could make it, did. The rest still got the valuable experience of going to college before moving on to other things.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 PM

253 posts, read 569,922 times
I have discovered in my life that poor people chose to be poor and through their lack of motivation, education, and desire to better themselves, they remain poor.

This is my opinion and I have very little sympathy for them.

(putting on flame suit) Fire away now

Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
I have discovered in my life that poor people chose to be poor and through their lack of motivation, education, and desire to better themselves, they remain poor.

Do I understand correctly, that you choose to withhold sympathy from people merely because their criteria for success is different from yours?

We have been through this before. People all have different skills and talents, and some are left out of the loop of what you call success, because they lack one or more of the qualities that enable others to earn high salaries. It may be intellect, emotional stability, physical capacity, dumb luck, or an accident of birth that rained down inherited cash.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do I understand correctly, that you choose to withhold sympathy from people merely because their criteria for success is different from yours?
No you must have misunderstood me, because I never mentioned anything about comparing my standards of success to another persons, what I said was I have no sympathy for poor people who wish to be poor.

If someone chooses to be poor, it is their choice and if they are happy then who am I to say anything. If someone is poor and they want my sympathy they will not get it because only they can change their situation. Again I believe that most poor people chose to remain poor and therefore they don’t have my sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We have been through this before. People all have different skills and talents, and some are left out of the loop of what you call success, because they lack one or more of the qualities that enable others to earn high salaries. It may be intellect, emotional stability, physical capacity, dumb luck, or an accident of birth that rained down inherited cash.
I will admit some have a harder time with more obstacles in their way but again if they are determined only they can change their lives and free themselves from poverty.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted off-topic comments and your response to them.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,624,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post

Bingo.

I come from a strange background myself. My parents grew up poor. I grew up Middle-class until the age of 10. When my parents got divorced my mother and I became poor. We got food stamps and lived in public subsidized housing for a while. She worked her ass off, got her degree, and has since paid more money into the system than she ever took out.

While in our HUD apartment I saw the people around us. They were lazy, indolent, and incapable of getting their financial or reproductive lives under control. They were idiots and parasites and I always considered myself above them. I have nothing against someone getting a helping hand when the chips are down, but I am against subsidizing these utter failures and losers. I know them well because I used to live around them.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Bingo.

I come from a strange background myself. My parents grew up poor. I grew up Middle-class until the age of 10. When my parents got divorced my mother and I became poor. We got food stamps and lived in public subsidized housing for a while. She worked her ass off, got her degree, and has since paid more money into the system than she ever took out.

While in our HUD apartment I saw the people around us. They were lazy, indolent, and incapable of getting their financial or reproductive lives under control. They were idiots and parasites and I always considered myself above them. I have nothing against someone getting a helping hand when the chips are down, but I am against subsidizing these utter failures and losers. I know them well because I used to live around them.

I am often accused of being callous when it comes to poor people but I have been around a great many of them and no matter how much they are helped or how many handouts they are given they never seem to improve themselves, they simply want more free handouts.

It’s their own decisions in their lives that often cause them to be poor. I know a guy that use to regularly come to me asking to borrow money. One day I suggested an honest way for him to make some good money and he said; “That’s hard work” to which I replied,

“I guess you don’t need the money bad enough then” he got upset with me and hasn’t been back around. I have no respect for entitlement people.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,319,673 times
I have often wondered if people from the ghetto could be paid (as an incentive) to go to a special school to learn about culture and how to be civilized.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 AM

29,610 posts, read 31,914,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have often wondered if people from the ghetto could be paid (as an incentive) to go to a special school to learn about culture and how to be civilized.
PAID? No..They ought to be FORCED.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
PAID? No..They ought to be FORCED.

Raise the minimum wage to $20 an hour, and the poor would all be lining up for jobs tomorrow morning and have $800 paychecks this Friday. But that won't happen because the people with the money and the power have not been "forced" to attract the poor into the workplace. Our economic system is designed to reinforce poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates