U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM

253 posts, read 569,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When my wife was volunteering in a county jail GED program in Florida, she met almost every inmate in the jail over the course of a year. A lot of them were in there because of expired license plates or other vehicle infractions. Not one single rich person "forgot" to renew his plates, only poor people forget those things. Or else, only the poor ones were sent to jail, and the rich ones were given a warning ticket.

Don't feel so smug about being the only human being in the entire USA who has never, not even once, ever broken one single law. Every single morning, you wake the kids up and tell them go stand behind the Escalade, and tell you whether the brake lights are working. Oh, wait, you of the privileged class trade in for a new SUV every year, so the lights never get a chance to burn out. Rich people are not subject to that kind of heinous criminal activity worthy of lincarceration.
I find it hard to believe the jail was full of people with such minor infractions. They way such infractions usually work is a motorist is given a written citation (A Ticket) and that person appears in court to argue their case. It cost nothing to appear in court, and with such minor citations a lawyer isn’t even needed. If you fail to pay the fine or appear then you are arrested and jailed, but again whose fault is this for letting it get to that point?

Are you suggesting that that because a person is poor they don’t have to be responsible for their actions? Are you saying that being poor is a mitigating factor that should be taken under consideration when a poor person violates the rules or laws? If so then what even have such laws? I don’t follow your line of thinking in regards to why poor people should be given any more consideration than rich people when they break the law because your entire argument is about the justifications or mitigating circumstances that should be given to the poor.

I have made my share of mistakes in life and have violated laws and received a couple of traffic citations in my time, therefore I am human. I can say I haven’t had a driving citation in some 20 years and this is something I am proud of.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post

I find it hard to believe the jail was full of people with such minor infractions. .
Go to the online edition of the weekly newspaper in Madison, Florida (if there is one online), look at the list of people who were sent to jail that week, see what the charges were. See if you can guess whether any rich people were sent to jail on motor vehicle irregularities.

Well, I just checked the paper, and apparently, the jail report is no longer in the paper, at least in the online edition. But I did find the interesting story about the sheriff confiscating $18K from a motorist, who was then released with no charges against him.
http://www.greenepublishing.com/frontpage.html
"Here, we'll just take your money. Have a nice day. You don't look rich enough to legitimately have that much money."

Last edited by jtur88; 03-08-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM

253 posts, read 569,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go to the online edition of the weekly newspaper in Madison, Florida (if there is one online), look at the list of people who were sent to jail that week, see what the charges were. See if you can guess whether any rich people were sent to jail on motor vehicle irregularities.

Well, I just checked the paper, and apparently, the jail report is no longer in the paper, at least in the online edition. But I did find the interesting story about the sheriff confiscating $18K from a motorist, who was then released with no charges against him.
Front Page - Greene Publishing - Madison Enterprise-Recorder - Madison County Carrier
"Here, we'll just take your money. Have a nice day. You don't look rich enough to legitimately have that much money."

Ok so how will I know if they are rich or not? Does their book in sheet tell us “This guy is rich” “this guy is poor”?

Also apart from this wild goose chase guessing game you want to send me on the entire argument still hasn’t changed, why are they in jail? The answer is because they broke the law. It doesn’t matter if they are rich or poor.

Hell OJ is in jail and he's rich, and Martha Stewart went to prison and she isn’t poor either. Guess that blows your only poor in jail argument.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post

Hell OJ is in jail and he's rich, and Martha Stewart went to prison and she isn’t poor either. Guess that blows your only poor in jail argument.
Right. Two examples really blows my argument, and offsets the fact that 2-million Americans are in prison, nearly all of them poor.

I know two people who smoked all their lives and lived to their 80s, so I guess that blows the argument that smoking is harmful to your health.

Nobody made the "only poor in jail argument". You only wish someone had, so you could offer your brilliant argument against it. I think the assertion was along the lines of "many people are in jail because they were poor, and would not be there if they had been rich. so being poor is often a large contributing factor in determing who goes to jail and who stays in jail".

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM

491 posts, read 646,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Last I heard everyone in America has a right to an education regardless of their situation. Sure, if you live in the inner city where schools are sub par you may not be able to get into Harvard but you can certainly get a HS diploma and go on to a trade school or college. Far too many people make that excuse: I never had the opportunity...HOGWASH!!!!
It is not an excuse if you are not smart enough. There is only so many jobs available for college graduates we need people to be janitors, maids.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM

491 posts, read 646,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Perhaps you've heard of student loans and grants? People living in the ghetto are far more likely to qualify for assistance than people living in affluent areas.
You have to be either really smart or athletic to get scholarships. There are only a certain amount of scholarships available not everyone can get one.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,545,561 times
End rent control.
Stop "dumbing" down, degrading and politicizing education.
Stop romanticizing the "ghetto" culture of violence and "get rich quick" mindlessness.....
Stop the TOTALLY STUPID "ghetto" materialism...the flashy clothes the stupid cars.....collecting mindless useless junk in some sort of weak effort to prop up your ego....while the city around you decays into dust.....STUPID!!!
START VALUING TRUE EDUCATION!!! End the lip-service and push hard standards. People who actually have to WORK for something will value it more...and so will everyone else....like the people who HIRE!!!
Stop having babies you can not afford to care for.....Love and cherish the ones you can afford to have!
STOP this totally STUPID notion that everything in life is a "right" that you have a "right" to education and a house...and a "Navigator" with spinners...and a penthouse apartment and a six-figure job with a Fortune 500 company.....YOU DON'T!!! You have a right at an equal chance to WORK FOR IT!!! BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO WORK FOR IT!!!
IBM is NOT going to hire you if you're an illiterate boob with no culture or manners...Why should they? IBM is NOT a charity....
Grant HUGE tax incentives for industries to move BACK into the cities and the former industrial areas.
Stop handing out welfare to perpetual "recipients" with out limits and with out conditions.

And lastly.....PULL YOUR HEAD OUT!!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 AM

In the 1960s, the American people opened up the opportunity curve for African Americans. Blacks were welcomed to join the mainstream, which they had been locked out of for centuries. A ghetto is now a place where the Blacks declined to join that mainstream, and chose to use the opportunity instead to go off in a separate direction, creating a "sub-mainstream" of their own. And now, there they are, with what they've got. They've got their dialect, they've got their music, they've got their rims, they've got their fashions, they've got their culture. And they are militantly clinging to their culture, refusing to embrace the American mainstram that their ancestors struggled and sacrificed to be admitted to. The influential and charismatic leaders in the ghettoes are standing up and encouraging the community not to merge with the mainstream, but to resist it. The ghettoes need leaders within who will inspire the people to potentially successful aspirations. Call this racist if you like, but I call it standing back and looking at reality.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-09-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,216,841 times
Eliminate prejudice, improve our education system, and put people to work. Stop thinking poor people are stupid and lazy. Give a hand up, not a hand out.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM

23,004 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
End rent control.
Stop "dumbing" down, degrading and politicizing education.
Stop romanticizing the "ghetto" culture of violence and "get rich quick" mindlessness.....
Stop the TOTALLY STUPID "ghetto" materialism...the flashy clothes the stupid cars.....collecting mindless useless junk in some sort of weak effort to prop up your ego....while the city around you decays into dust.....STUPID!!!
START VALUING TRUE EDUCATION!!! End the lip-service and push hard standards. People who actually have to WORK for something will value it more...and so will everyone else....like the people who HIRE!!!
Stop having babies you can not afford to care for.....Love and cherish the ones you can afford to have!
STOP this totally STUPID notion that everything in life is a "right" that you have a "right" to education and a house...and a "Navigator" with spinners...and a penthouse apartment and a six-figure job with a Fortune 500 company.....YOU DON'T!!! You have a right at an equal chance to WORK FOR IT!!! BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO WORK FOR IT!!!
IBM is NOT going to hire you if you're an illiterate boob with no culture or manners...Why should they? IBM is NOT a charity....
Grant HUGE tax incentives for industries to move BACK into the cities and the former industrial areas.
Stop handing out welfare to perpetual "recipients" with out limits and with out conditions.

And lastly.....PULL YOUR HEAD OUT!!!!
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates