U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with being stupid. It is just one end of the spectrum of the variable and partly hereditary human range of attributes. It's like being weak or ugly or short or flat-chested. Why do we need to punish the stupid? It's bad enough that we sanction an army of predators to take their money by deceit and guile. Even worse that we laugh and ridicule the victims.

The stupid are the only minority that it is perfectly politically correct to make jokes about, and the only disadvantaged group that is not entitled to any public assistance for their affliction.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Those Ghettos were once Middle Class neighborhoods where factory workers lived and worked until the factories closed. 50 years ago people walked to work.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,494,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Those Ghettos were once Middle Class neighborhoods where factory workers lived and worked until the factories closed. 50 years ago people walked to work.
Right. But that was 50 years ago.

What do we do NOW? Again, I'm thinking that Detroit might have a good idea (for a change). They're converting sprawling deserted ghetto areas back into farm ground.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,179,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right. But that was 50 years ago.

What do we do NOW? Again, I'm thinking that Detroit might have a good idea (for a change). They're converting sprawling deserted ghetto areas back into farm ground.
Build factories with good paying jobs where people can walk or take public transit to work. Stop sending the factories to the suburbs where people have to drive to work

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,416,149 times
Quote:
Build factories with good paying jobs where people can walk or take public transit to work. Stop sending the factories to the suburbs where people have to drive to work
That is not likely to happen. It is much cheaper to outsource labor these days.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:09 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,494,419 times
Quote:
That sounds good in theory, but it isn't realistic. Companies have to be able to make money (or have a good chance of it) in order to build factories. We can't just build factories for the sake of building factories. And we can't just pay workers good wages for the sake of paying good wages.

There has to be some way of making a profit, or none of this works.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,527,567 times
Quote:
The way things are going in this country, the factores aren't moving to the suburbs, but to Mexico or China. We could count ourselves lucky if those jobs stayed anywhere in this country - suburbs, city or rural!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,900,503 times
Default The most intelligent response. Right on brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
I often wondered if black people had pulled together in a different way back during segregation, that things might have been a lot different today.

I know that blacks were not given the equal chances and that’s why organizations like the NAACP were needed, however my thoughts have always been if the Blacks had said to each other (with the help of those inspirational leaders they had like MLK);

“Hey lets use this segregation to our advantage, let us create our own schools and neighborhoods and economies and make them so damn good that one day those damn honkies will beg us for our money, our products, and our participation in their lily white world”
Then the blacks setting out and creating such a dream and making it a reality so that when you went to a bus station the colored bathroom was so much nicer than the white restroom.

No even taking it further, and saying “Yes We Can” and creating their own bus company and building their own bus grand terminals that had opulent bathroom facilities and even quilted toilet paper and free breath mints after you washed your hands.

Yes then going into the ghettos and saying, “This isn’t acceptable for ‘OUR’ people” and tearing them down and building a planned community that was nicer than the best planned communities out there and erecting a huge sign out front “FUBU Falls Community” or something similar.

No, this is only a thought, a dream, a lost wish as the reality is the ghettos are there because most people that live in them have a “I don’t give a Moderator cut: language attitude, now where’s my cheese” while a Black man with determination sits in the white house
This is a really good response. I believe that was the intent most black leaders had back in the day for the black community. Since no one else was going to help us, we have to band together and learn to do for ourselves.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Now that this thread has been resurrected, I'll repeat what I said a long time ago, which is brief and to the point.

The American blacks, for a century, asked to be admitted to the economic and social mainstream of America, and in the 1960s, they were admitted.

But then many declined the invitation, saying it would be a sellout of their cultural values and pride to join the mainstream that they had just been admitted to. Instead, they (in large numbers) chose to remain outside the mainstream. Hence, the ghettos.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:43 PM

2,567 posts, read 3,091,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Today i went through the ghetto. It made me so sad
i want to know what can be done to help them. Is there anything at all? Or do you think they should be left alone?
I grew up in The Bronx of NYC during the 60's and 70's. This was one of the worst of ghettohoods in the United States back then. Imagine living amongst gangs, thugs, drugs, muggings, shootings, police raids, tear gas, and apartment building fires. Imagine having to round up six friends and a baseball bat just to walk 5 blocks to "Cousin's Records" on Fordham Road to buy one 45 vynyl record. It's cool to talk about growing up in that jungle now. But living thru that made me realize that I did not want to stay in that environment. I remember being a little kid and thinking to myself, "I don't want my kids to grow up in a place like this."

Somehow many of us mustered the gumption to stay out of gangs, and to get out of The Bronx as soon as we had the opportunity. Bad as it was, some of us managed to get college educations (i.e., society's Great Equalizer), while others went into the military where we learned vocational trades.

As I grew into adulthood, I made choices which lead me far and away from that environment.

Moral of the story: It's all about the choices we make. None of us has to stay in that environment if we choose not to. Most gangbangers/ghettohooders are there by choice even though there are plenty of opportunities to get out.

I strongly disagree with the entire concept of "giving" people who live in ghettos "things" they have not worked for. If you're getting "things" for free, what incentive do you have to go out, become a productive citizen, in order to acquire "things" on your own? In this country, no one with a brain has an excuse to not become self-sufficient. Sure, the current economy has made things a bit tough but...so what?

Seek and you will find. Knock and and it shall be answered. Just don't ask me to seek and knock for you. You've got to go out and do it yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates