U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2010, 03:51 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,603,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Unless you grew up in the ghetto and succeeded in leaving the ghetto then one shouldn't comment on how easy it is to get up from a horrible situation and become successful. People that actually make it are the extraordinary few. It takes a special person to make it out. In reality, if most of the the Americans were born into the situation of being raised in a ghetto, they would end up like the rest of the inhabitants that reside there. You should be so lucky that you were born in a situation that fostered to your development for success.
Yes indeed! I saw way too many classmates become statistics. But that's their fate to decide.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 PM

7,780 posts, read 4,474,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
I often wondered if black people had pulled together in a different way back during segregation, that things might have been a lot different today.

I know that blacks were not given the equal chances and that’s why organizations like the NAACP were needed, however my thoughts have always been if the Blacks had said to each other (with the help of those inspirational leaders they had like MLK);

“Hey lets use this segregation to our advantage, let us create our own schools and neighborhoods and economies and make them so damn good that one day those damn honkies will beg us for our money, our products, and our participation in their lily white world”
Then the blacks setting out and creating such a dream and making it a reality so that when you went to a bus station the colored bathroom was so much nicer than the white restroom.

No even taking it further, and saying “Yes We Can” and creating their own bus company and building their own bus grand terminals that had opulent bathroom facilities and even quilted toilet paper and free breath mints after you washed your hands.

Yes then going into the ghettos and saying, “This isn’t acceptable for ‘OUR’ people” and tearing them down and building a planned community that was nicer than the best planned communities out there and erecting a huge sign out front “FUBU Falls Community” or something similar.

No, this is only a thought, a dream, a lost wish as the reality is the ghettos are there because most people that live in them have a “I don’t give a Moderator cut: language attitude, now where’s my cheese” while a Black man with determination sits in the white house
I really like this post, but you didn't have to conclude it like you did. You expressed a wonderful vision of black empowerment and then p***ed on your own creation. Now, with a black man in the White House and more green in the black man's pocket than there ever has been, is the perfect time to realize this dream. It's not too late to build FUBU Falls Community and establish predominantly black schools that out perform white ones. I can imagine a future where white people are fighting to get into the "good" black schools. Can you?

The funny thing is if the black community acheived such a marvelous accomplishment, I bet you'd be surprised by how many of us honkies would be proud of what you did. And just for some historical reference, black people have proven themselves capable of this kind of rapid uplift in the past. I was surprised to learn that the public school system as we know it in the South was basically built by freed slaves. Research that lilly white school in Tennessee, and you might be shocked to learn that it was once a black school built by black people, for black people. And it was so successful that jealous whites stole it.

This isn't the 1880s. If blacks built schools like that again, the law would protect what was rightfully theirs.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM

65 posts, read 102,204 times
1. Start a campaign, let everyone know this ghetto stuff is played out and the majority of us won't put up with it. In too many black neighborhoods we are at the mercy of black men who think they runnin something. THey aint runnin a Moderator cut: language thing. We gotta be cut throat about this black panther style. Either you get down, or get out.

2. Hold parents accountable, In black neighborhoods, families, and churches parents that are a bad example are one thing, but deadbeats are not acceptable.

3. For kids. the question isn't if you want to go to college, it's WHICH one do you want to go to. Period.

4. Form groups, thousands with different names and different neighborhoods, but we all hold the same vision, to better our community.

This is how I would start, and it would only be the beginning.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language in the Great Debates forum.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM

1,333 posts, read 435,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
And no one here has stated that we should all have exactly the same goals, aspirations, talents or strenghts. No one is advocating that folks from the ghetto be diminished nor punished for failing.

By the same token, it's time that we came to grips with reality and stop blaming failure on our race or personal circumstances. We now live in the era of Barack Hussein Obama. We have no excuses. There are no more crutches.

I've met enough people who've come here from dirt poor third world countries only to see them exceed and succeed, while many of us linger behind for lack of ambition, a strong work ethic, discipline, or the will to do what is merely difficult for a season.

It's time to shed those BS excuses because..."yes we can!"

As far as my choice of font...I'll use whatever Moderator cut: language font I feel like using!
Have you talked to the people from third world countries who have not made it? Not everyone who comes from poor countries to the US become wealthy.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-05-2010 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Status: "What a Wonderful World Cup 2014!" (set 14 days ago)

1,548 posts, read 1,466,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Have you talked to the people from third world countries who have not made it? Not everyone who comes from poor countries to the US become wealthy.
No! I have not (recently) personally spoken to people from third world countries who have not made it in the USA. Now a days I'm typically surrounded by people who've worked very hard at succeeding in life, who are from a variety of backgrounds. But, what's your point?

My point was focused on the fact that MANY people who come here from third world countries do excel and succeed at a more rapid pace than those of us who've been here for generations. Why is that? It probably has to do with the fact that MANY of them posses certain qualities that many ghettohooders lack, for example:

ambition
strong work ethic
discipline
the will to do what is merely difficult (not impossible) for a season
a "no quit" attitude

These are indespensable qualities which, at most, may have to be learned. Fortunately, they are free of charge and at anyone's grasp. All one needs to do is go after them!

If you want to succeed in this society, these are the things you should include in your "things-to-go-after" list. They are what got MANY of us out of the ghettohood!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,820,923 times
Just as many inner cities offer "homesteading" tax breaks to homeowners that buy and occupy in blighted neighborhoods, I think there should be a proactive investment incentive for small business to locate/establish in such neighborhoods. I grew up in inner city Boston. Ours was always a home-owning, blue-collar neighborhood until the riots and subsequent misguided apartment developments left tracts of vacant land peppered with over-crowded apartment boxes(whose grand scheme of city planning was responsible for that? Not the local resident's fault!). Some local people that wanted to expand or establish businesses were turned down by banks that favoered liquor stores and check cashing storefronts---their idea of a "good investment".
When these neighborhoods are able to operate as self-sufficient little small town villages instead of satellites to downtown hand-outs, they were more vibrant and healthy. Adjust the banking structure to favor small local business and support them with downtown tax incentive and things will grow naturally. the whole racial cloistering was fostered by years of economic discrimination.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 248,323 times
I really believe that the only real thing you can do to help those who are in poverty is to attempt to break the cycle through education. For those who have been on social assistance much of their lives, it's much more difficult to help them since many of them likely do not have the job skills necessary to have a decent paying job. Also, those who are not educated are unlikely to remain in a good paying job. If we could help those in the "ghettos" who do well in school by helping to pay for their college, I think it'd go a long way.

But like anything else, it's still incumbent upon them to do the necessary work. I don't just want handouts, but rewards.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,352,315 times
When I was growing up in San Diego, I had a teammate (on my club wrestling team) and friend who lived in "the ghetto". He was an all-state wrestler, 4.0 GPA, 1500+ SAT (on the 1600 scale). I went off to school at University of Chicago and personally recruited him. We ended up losing out to Cornell, who gave him a 4-year full ride. He gave a triumphant valedictorian speech, and then...
he was murdered. Shot to death on graduation night in a drive by shooting. Five gang members, who knew him, were convicted for the crime. Willie James Jones, Jr., murdered June 17, 1994, one of the saddest days of my life.
Solve -that- and you solve the ghetto.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,374,870 times
Its simple in theory. Figure out the social engineering that created the ghetto...and reverse the social engineering. Its not rocket science.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM

778 posts, read 913,840 times
People who won't invest themselves in their own future can't be helped.

People who don't realize their entitlement mentality is the road to self destruction can't be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates