U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:11 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,250,508 times

Advertisements

I am not sure about the limits. I have read conflicting sources, but here is where I got it from:

http://www.urban.org/publications/310904.html

Quote:
Federal reforms in 1996 eliminated the entitlement to welfare and limited benefits to a maximum of five years in a lifetime. States can exempt up to 20 percent of their caseload from the federal time limit. Moreover, they can extend the time limit beyond five years, as long as benefits are paid with state dollars. In 2002 only two states—Michigan and Vermont—did not have any type of time limit on benefits (Bloom, Farrell, and Fink 2002). Seventeen states had time limits of less than five years.
Oh, I guess it is a state by state thing.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 AM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
Not to start a political dispute or tell you who you should vote for, but Democrats tend to care more for the ghettos and people with lower income, while Republicans think that people in the ghetto choose to live there or are too lazy to make more money, so they don't want their tax dollars to help those people. They are also not too concerned about it because everything is fine in their suburban estate. It's like Ice Cube said in Boyz N The Hood, "Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what goes down in the hood."

Old 10-18-2008, 06:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
until the importance of at least finishing high school is an acceptance in --"the hood"-- and until the acceptance of father's responsibility -----------it is throwing money down the drain.

The Minneapolis Tribune recently did an article to find out why black kids got expelled more often than white kids in inner city schools.

The bottom line was arrogance and big mouths that they refused to shut in the classroom.

In 2 individual cases they studied, the mother was so proud of her 14 year old daughter's big mouth and her 9 expulsions and couldn't see any dis -respect, instead she blamed the teachers for not " accepting an opiniated young female voice"
( no mention of what the young, mouthy girl's father thought )

Another case involved a 15 year old boy who had been kicked out 15 times from Sept til April-----------fights, assaults, late for class, speaking out in class dissing the teachers-------
He stated---"teachers don't like me "

By the way, the article in the Tribune was trying to prove black, inner city kids were discriminated against in regards to expulsion from schools.

They did not get that point proved ( IMHO )

Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Not to start a political dispute or tell you who you should vote for, but Democrats tend to care more for the ghettos and people with lower income, while Republicans think that people in the ghetto choose to live there or are too lazy to make more money, so they don't want their tax dollars to help those people. They are also not too concerned about it because everything is fine in their suburban estate. It's like Ice Cube said in Boyz N The Hood, "Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what goes down in the hood."
I'm not sure that this is quite true. I know several people who are Democrats and either don't know anything about the ghetto or could care less. Democrats talk about doing something about the ghetto and other social problems, but how effectively is money really spent. Just because you throw money at a problem doesn't mean it does any good. But intentions are more important than results anyway. You can at least say you care.

Most people who live in a suburban settings whether they are Democrat or Republican have little or not contact with inner city people. That's just the way it is. If you're in the suburbs or any good area for that matter, 'out of sight is out of mind'.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,235,952 times
lol, I'm a Democrat and I'm going to say that the gov't throwing money at the "ghetto" aren't going to fix the problems there. There are rural areas that are even more poverty stricken than the "hoods," but you don't see the same level of social dysfunction. The only thing the gov't can do is enforce the law and take other measures to promote job growth.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 AM

2,881 posts, read 3,190,998 times
Why work when the government will pick up the tab? Government continues to throw money at the ghetto and their school systems. It has done NOTHING. But, at least the politicians can say that they are doing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
lol, I'm a Democrat and I'm going to say that the gov't throwing money at the "ghetto" aren't going to fix the problems there. There are rural areas that are even more poverty stricken than the "hoods," but you don't see the same level of social dysfunction. The only thing the gov't can do is enforce the law and take other measures to promote job growth.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Yeah you have the same social dysfunction...meth epidemic, fatherless families, poor schools, higher than average crime, high alcholism...this plagues the poor rural areas of America. Both areas need to repair the infrastructure (healtcare and schools)...both need money for them.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
once it becomes our ghetto instead of get out of here you dont belong here.
once it gets to be we instead of us vs them.
once there is caring instead of avoidance
once there is accountability instead of entitlement
it will get better.
i have a dream.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,943,900 times
Put more money into the schools and police department.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,199,824 times
Darwinian selection is often healthy for society...

Some choose to have kids they can afford to properly raise/educate (perhaps family planning is a more important course than reading/counting in most US public schools???)...others don't....

For past ?40yrs, many dark-skinned, poor immigrants from 3rdWorld have figured out how to gain admission to Stanford or Berkeley's engineering schools; have done OK in school....and some have even made a few bucks starting cos. or working in tech or financial cos. in SiliconValley....

Many smart, affluent people live/work in various major urban regions and have no exposure to crime....not particularly hard to avoid violent crime if one lives in affluent suburbs; drives to office in an upscale part of an urban/suburban region; and uses common sense in avoiding proximity to poverty.....

Media (for obvious reasons) likes to exaggerate relevance of violent crime in slums somewhere near where most "journalists" live...or on their 3rd World NYC subways....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates