U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,071,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
What makes a ghetto? What gives it the particular traits that afflict it? What makes it dangerous? ...Its inhabitants.

I come from a poor white town. The poverty rates equal or exceed what one would find in inner-city neighborhoods. There are no murders there. People leave their doors unlocked. Yards and homes are well-kept. I also know a lot of "crust-punk/activist" types. They have no money. Yet they grow their own food, engage in community activities, and keep their old houses in good repair through good old fashioned community spirit and elbow grease.

It all comes down to having the right attitude. People in the ghetto often don't have it. They are often held captive by an acerbic pessimism and fatalism about their communities and situations. It doesn't matter how much money you pump into these places...the people will destroy everything they touch. It's all they know and it's all they do.
Good post. But not all will have that attitude. For some ghettos, the core is held together by a fairly small number of people and places. This % will vary place to place.

S.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,071,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Much has been written about poverty, universities spend tons on studies in order to assist the states in the policy making for the various social services. Poverty is kind of industry unto itself, the social services in each state rely on the poverty stricken populace to support the huge infrastructure of jobs, it's a growth industry and like the "war on drugs" it has a lot of families incomes depending on it.

Of course we can peruse the debate boards and see the self styled social scientists putting forth their valued observations on this most complex problem, some won't bother to read even the thinnest of texts to get an idea regarding the scope of our stratified economy and the consequences we will face when the gap between have and have not gets too wide. Research on the causes of poverty show the entrenched class system to be part of the problem and never part of the solution, as long as there are those on the bottom to look down on American's will do so. It's easier to show disdain than to have the compassion to help.

Our own brand of poverty has already become a talking point for those on bluster radio who would have you believe that the poor are in that condition because they lack the will and drive to succeed, they of course don't mention the fact of our not being able to provide 100% employment or anything close to it could possibly be a contributing cause. The long term outlook for the US suggests a growth in the ranks of our poor, maybe then we'll se some up close re-evaluation of US poverty take place. I have seen my city grow poorer by the decade, some of the early gentrification has worn thin and shows a lack of sustainable support for the idea of a growing poverty existing side by side with the privileged classes.
Yes, never underestimate the vested interests in the poverty industry. I once a part of this industry. But by actually trying to solve each micro problem that I faced, I found myself alienated by those who wanted (and still want) solutions to fit the latest ideological position under adoption.

Once again, the technical solutions are far easier than the politics.

S.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
Bottom line is, you have to convince the residents of these neighborhoods to take an interest in improving their community. Throwing money at a problem won't fix it. I can't tell you how many parks and playgrounds were renovated in NYC back in the 90's only to have them destroyed within months and taken over by gangs, junkies, and dealers. Kids pray painting graffitti on homes and business', litter, vandalism, crime etc all take their toll on a neighborhood. At some point the residents need to step up and clean up their own back yard. New business' will not move into a community that is dangerous or run down. The key is to raise these kids right and have an active role in their lives. Teach them right from wrong and hold them accountable.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Force developers back into the cities. Regentrification is working in many cities. Make them tear down the old to build the new. Make parking in center cities so expensive that people would take mass transit.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,311,757 times
I grew up poor and lived in some rough neighborhoods. Then later in life I lived in D.C. and Atlanta both of which could fairly accurately be described as one giant ghetto. One thing that my life experiences have taught me is that you can't do anything about somebody else's problems.

I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and I've seen plenty of other people do the same. Where there's a will there's a way. You can't make one stupid decision after another and expect to do well in life.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM

2,058 posts, read 2,805,813 times
Education.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM

491 posts, read 646,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I grew up poor and lived in some rough neighborhoods. Then later in life I lived in D.C. and Atlanta both of which could fairly accurately be described as one giant ghetto. One thing that my life experiences have taught me is that you can't do anything about somebody else's problems.

I pulled myself up by the bootstraps and I've seen plenty of other people do the same. Where there's a will there's a way. You can't make one stupid decision after another and expect to do well in life.
If you lived there you should know that not everyone has the oppurtunity or money to pull themselves out. Just because there are problems does not mean we should ignore them.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM

491 posts, read 646,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Education.
How will they be able to pay for Education if they have little money? Even if they wuold Education is no gurantee that you will get a job.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM

2,058 posts, read 2,805,813 times
Education is more of a factor in getting a job than anything else. Learning to use critical thinking helps prevent you from being taken advantage of (in various ways) and making poor life choices. I didnt even nessesarily mean college. A high school diploma is a lot more than most have in a lot of ghettos. But absoloutly i would love it if everyone had the opportunity to go to college as well. The question was how can we help the people there. My answer is give them an education. Certainly not give them more money. They dont know how to manage money wisely so that won't help.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM

16,471 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Today i went through the ghetto. It made me so sad
i want to know what can be done to help them. Is there anything at all? Or do you think they should be left alone?
As we're rapidly becoming just another third world country, look forward to more sadness. It will be omnipresent!

But we'll suffer more here, being a third world country, because of the undesirable climate in much of this country.

Don't even need a blanket to sleep at night, outside, in a many other 3rd world countries.

Ghetto nation, here we come! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates